Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 01:58 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times

Advertisements

This kid sounds like a spoiled brat. The audacity of him to want to use hot water to shower and clean things with. What does he think? That hot water just grows on trees? Gimme a break! Get a job, kid. And earn your hot water.... like a man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2021, 02:09 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahfeehan View Post
I was talking to my friend in her 40s last week and she told me about her 16yr old son. She thinks that he's spoiled but her husband doesn't.

Basically, he has autism and some sensory issues. He's very clean (almost to the point of being obsessive about it). When he cleans however, he has to switch on water to boil or boil water in the kettle. He can never wash with cold water as it feels uncomfortable for him but he also says that hot water cleans the dishes better/cleans the bathroom better.

Before showering, he always has to turn on his Dyson fan as he feels very cold stepping out of the bathroom after a shower. Again, in the shower he uses nearly boiling hot water.

My friend thinks that even with his autistic issues, he's a bit spoiled as he's running up all these hot water costs. She says that when he's living alone, he'll soon learn how expensive these things are. Her husband on the other hand doesn't see an issue with it and says that at least he's much more responsible when it comes to cleaning the house compared to boys his age.

Who's in the right here?
This mother doesn't know what spoiled means.
A child who expects to be provided with all the latest expensive brands of clothing and technology products is spoiled.
A child who prefers hot water due to autism and sensory issues he can't control is not spoiled.

Old 11-03-2021, 02:51 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
I was talking to my friend in her 40s last week and she told me about her 16yr old son. She thinks that he's spoiled but her husband doesn't.

Basically, he has autism and some sensory issues. He's very clean (almost to the point of being obsessive about it). When he cleans however, he has to switch on water to boil or boil water in the kettle. He can never wash with cold water as it feels uncomfortable for him but he also says that hot water cleans the dishes better/cleans the bathroom better.

Before showering, he always has to turn on his Dyson fan as he feels very cold stepping out of the bathroom after a shower. Again, in the shower he uses nearly boiling hot water.

My friend thinks that even with his autistic issues, he's a bit spoiled as he's running up all these hot water costs. She says that when he's living alone, he'll soon learn how expensive these things are. Her husband on the other hand doesn't see an issue with it and says that at least he's much more responsible when it comes to cleaning the house compared to boys his age.

Who's in the right here?
Ummm how expensive is the hot water?

I have gas appliances in my home, the natural gas appliances include stove/dryer/hot water heater and my gas bill is about $25 a month including service fees. So 83 cents a day.

If junior took cold showers/washed dishes in cold water at my house I would expect the bill to still be in that range.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:00 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
No he's not spoiled. Rigid routines, practices & sensory preferences are literally diagnostic indicators of autism.

Neurotypical people have very few of the sensory brain synapses (connections) that they were born with, left. Normally, at around age 2, immune cells in the brain called Microglia, "eat" or "prune" away the infant synapses to make way for the new learning based, sensory synapses.

In autism, the Microglia activation is impaired & they fail to prune away the old synapses. The new, learning based, sensory synapses still grow, but they don't have anywhere to "plug" (connect) into, so they plug into other receptors. Autistic brains can carry 50% more sensory synapses than normal brains.

This overgrown, cross wired brain will result in sensory seeking behaviors that seem bizarre to us but it's not something that can be "unlearned". Would you say that a person with a spinal cord injury is acting "spoiled" because they "won't" walk?

Of course not.

Depriving this autistic person of the demands his brain is making, will result in a lot of anxiety, anger & fear for him. Why would you do that to a disabled person when the solution (letting him use hot water) is such an easy accommodation?

Would you tell a deaf person he can't have an interpreter because that's being spoiled? A blind person can't take a seeing-eye dog into a public place because that's being spoiled? Is that a "first-world problem" because deaf & blind people function without interpreters & seeing eye dogs in the 3rd world?

UGH.

Mom should be so grateful that her son isn't severely autistic like my son is. Does she still have to physically GIVE him a shower? I have to physically bathe a 6 foot 5, 280 lb autistic son every night ... If she doesn't have to do THAT; I'd say she's got it pretty good.

Old 11-04-2021, 08:46 AM

16,291 posts, read 8,126,207 times
He's not spoiled but it sounds like somewhat of an annoying way to live life as far as the boiling water goes.

I have to sleep with a fan on. I can't sleep without one.

Maybe he has some OCD...but why would you think he's spoiled? It's not like he's demanding much.

Old 11-04-2021, 12:05 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Spoke to a woman the other day whose husband chastises her for turning up the heat on a cold day.

Really?

First world problems....both of them.
The climate battle in marriages is a common one. But I've never heard of complaints of hot water usage.

Old 11-04-2021, 12:34 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
He's not spoiled and he'll never live alone.

He has a problem.
A lot of autistic people live alone and hold down jobs. Even this boy's critical mother thinks he'll be living on his own at some point.

Agree that he's not spoiled.

Old 11-04-2021, 02:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
This kid sounds like a spoiled brat. The audacity of him to want to use hot water to shower and clean things with. What does he think? That hot water just grows on trees? Gimme a break! Get a job, kid. And earn your hot water.... like a man.
"When I was a kid I had to walk barefoot in the snow five miles uphill both ways just to bring water to the stove in a bucket, and then I had to walk back to get more water and then I had to gather up the wood too, which I had had to chop with an ax (without gloves) after I cut the tree down with a saw all by myself. Oh and then I had to build a fire using a flint."

Old 11-04-2021, 03:01 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
he's a bit spoiled as he's running up all these hot water costs. She says that when he's living alone, he'll soon learn how expensive these things are.
How expensive is it actually? Is the water heater powered by electricity, gas or oil?

I take steaming hot water showers for 20 mins at a time. In the winter it's not unheard of for me to empty a 40 gallon tank. I also love to clean with steaming hot water because it's more effective at cleaning, and the hot water evaporates more quickly. Wife will easily attest that I use all the hot water in the house.

My water heater is powered by natural gas along with my clothes dryer. I think my highest gas bill in the summer (when the natural gas heat isn't running) is $25. The dryer probably makes up most of that as we are running laundry constantly with 3 boys.

Old 11-12-2021, 07:41 AM

356 posts, read 284,261 times
i don't like cold showers either. and hot water in fact DOES clean everything better.
if you want to know what spoiled looks like, it's the kid whose parents buy him a luxury car for his 17th birthday, and have been showering him (no pun intended) with lavish gifts for no reason at all throughout his existence.

seriously, is this a real concern of yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting