Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 07:42 AM

316 posts, read 303,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
Not every kid is having sex at 15 either. Don't be pushing the idea that sex at 15 is oh so benign and nothing. There are plenty of kids not having sex at 15 or even 16 or 17. Maybe there is some elephant in the room here that people aren't saying--that some parents are better than others at raising their kids to avoid sexual activity too early. Birth control can fail, then what? Have a child at age 15? How about raising kids to hold off on sexual activity until they are mature enough to be able to raise a child should an unexpected pregnancy occur?
Yes! We have repeatedly emphasized to our boys that being strapped with a child at 16 or 17 can be very challenging and will often lead to a life of struggle and sometimes, even poverty. Forced marriages (aka "shotgun weddings") between the two parties rarely end in a successful, long-term relationship.

We've told them both to at least wait until they have graduated high school and to make sure it was with someone they truly cared about. My youngest, now a senior in high school came to us just last week and told us how disappointed he was to find out one of his buddies had recently had sex to "just get it over with" (in his friend's own words). My son looked at me and actually said, "wow, what a loser to do it with someone he doesn't even love".

Here's hoping that being frank and honest about the consequences of irresponsible sexual behavior has sunk in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2023, 08:25 PM

10 posts, read 3,347 times
parents were kids also i mean they had sex to make kids the parents were kids they grow up

Old 01-19-2023, 08:26 AM

3,180 posts, read 1,651,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad101a View Post
I caught my 15 year old daughter having sex with her boyfriend in our house at at time when she should have been in school and when I was usually at work. After calming down and having a discussion with her, she said this was only second time and that things just got out of control. I suspect this is not the second time.

Her grades are so-so but not horrible. She plays soccer. I don't think she is using drugs. So, I'm kinda baffled as to how this could be going on. I think that if I try to make stringent curfew rules she will just rebel further. I'm torn between giving her birth control pills or ...I'm not sure what is the or. I doubt I can truly force matters.

I want to have some more discussions about what I see as the cons of having sex at 15 as a girl.

Part of the matter may be that she is quite mature physically for her age and looks older. Still...I don't like where this is leading.

Other parents with similar issue?
You're late with educating her about sex and choices. I gave my sons a sex education when they're pre-teens and seems to have worked well so far. My son now 17 has not cared about sex and is focused on his own interests which is much healthier than getting involved with sex at an early age.

Old 01-19-2023, 11:00 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,922,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B292929 View Post
parents were kids also i mean they had sex to make kids the parents were kids they grow up
That was painful to read.

Old 01-20-2023, 03:23 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times
Quote:
Punctuation is your friend...

Old 01-20-2023, 06:17 AM

9,431 posts, read 5,194,093 times
Quote:
what?

Old 01-24-2023, 03:23 PM

20,094 posts, read 8,995,406 times
Have the laws changed in California this year?

The age of consent in the state of California is 18 years old. “Age of consent” refers to the legal age at which a person must be in order to legally engage in sexual intercourse. This law applies to all genders without exception. May want to let her know although California is trying to change the age to 14. Minors legally cannot consent to sexual intercourse. Her bf and his parents should be made aware of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting