Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 12:35 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,111,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post

In his neighborhood there are also several kids he is friends with. But when I reach out to the parents about playing together I don't get much response. Or one neighbor is glad to send their kid over to our house but rarely offers to have our son over .
I would invite your neighbor's kid over and not expect an invite back. I had a friend like this and it was fine. She was a slob. I rather not have my kids over her dirty house anyway. OTOH, her children were charming and well behaved.

So many kids are in daycare until 6 PM or in formal after-school programs. Playdates are beginning to be a thing of the past. It sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2022, 02:18 PM

6,813 posts, read 10,508,707 times
Sure was easier when we were young - parents didn't arrange anything - they just sent their kids out into the neighborhood with instructions to come back when the street light came on and kids found each other.

Old 02-19-2022, 03:31 PM

6,848 posts, read 4,844,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Sure was easier when we were young - parents didn't arrange anything - they just sent their kids out into the neighborhood with instructions to come back when the street light came on and kids found each other.
That is how it was in my day, too. We were free range children. Some houses attracted more children; if for instance they had a slip and slide or a tree house, etc. People did seem to send their kids outside to play a lot.

If I were a parent at this time I would not be open to playdates do to Covid if the kids were not of an age to be vaccinated. I suspect some parents want nothing to do with people that are of opposing political beliefs, and that would include letting kids play together. I think people should be able to associate without dragging politics into everything, but some just can't.

I have guns - they are locked up. I would wonder if my kid was going to a house with guns that could be accessed. Some people would worry about what kind of snacks the kids might be having. Some would be concerned about what kind of video games they were watching. Then there is the concern about whether or not a parent or older sibling is a child molester. There can be scheduling issues with family activities, work, after school things.

I have heard that women that join baby and me groups when their children are infants tend to form friendships, and that's who their kids grow up having play dates with.
I don't know how accurate that is, but it would make it harder to break into a friendship group.

And there is always the possibility that your child isn't fitting in well with others. That would be something to ask his teacher. Or maybe the other parents don't like you.

Organized sports, Sunday school if you are religious, going to a playground at a regular times, story hour at the library, other kid oriented events may be helpful.

Old 02-19-2022, 04:28 PM

21,880 posts, read 12,930,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I never had to schedule "play dates" when my son was little. I've never even understood the need to do this. My son played outside (or occasionally inside) with his neighborhood friends. I knew all the parents of course. I would not have a child in my home if I did not know, or least met, the parents. Maybe that is the issue. If not, maybe your child has a behavior issue and the other kids just don't like playing with him. It happens.
I just happened to see this thread in the sidebar, which is why I'm here... And I don't know how old YOU are, but I do recognize your name from the Retirement forum! How long ago was your son little??? Things have changed; kids don't play outdoors unsupervised with the neighbors anymore. That was like 50 years ago.....

Old 02-19-2022, 04:46 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,025,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
That's when we were little. In our neighborhood, we were on of the first to move in. There was one other kid my kids' age. No other kids. Most of the homebuyers turned out to be either young couples with no kids or retired couples whose kids were grown. So the only way my kids were going to get any play time with others was through organized activities. Sadly the demographic of the neighborhood changed after my kids were grown. Most of the retired couples passed on and there are now young families with kids in the neighborhood.

Old 02-19-2022, 04:49 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Have you met the parents? Lots of people won't just bring their kid over to some randos house. Most people are working and don't have time to schedule play dates for their kids. Kids in school and after school activities. Not a lot of free time.

Old 02-19-2022, 05:08 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,922,565 times
Quote:
These are good points. We are not local to the area, having just moved here a few years ago.

One neighbor has their son in every activity under the sun. I don't know how that can supersede 1-1 play time with adults supervising and feeding them? Plus it's free unlike these expensive activities. Also the kid just has to walk over vs. driving to these activities.
I think you answered your own question as to why you're not getting responses. Also I don't think parents let their kids walk more than a few feet these days. Slight exaggeration of course.

Old 02-19-2022, 05:40 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Quote:
One neighbor has their son in every activity under the sun. I don't know how that can supersede 1-1 play time with adults supervising and feeding them? Plus it's free unlike these expensive activities. Also the kid just has to walk over vs. driving to these activities.
You can't supersede another parent. That's the wrong way of thinking. Many people don't care about free versus a cost involved. What you consider expensive others don't and vice versa. Lots of kids are on special diets due to allergies and intolerances. You can't just feed people's children today.

Have you considered getting your kiddo involved in an activity? Scouts, 4H, martial arts, dance, gymnastics, sports, something. They'd meet other kids their age and you can get to meet other parents.

Old 02-20-2022, 07:19 AM

17,262 posts, read 21,991,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
Could it be a COVID thing?
Or maybe the fact "most" 5 yr olds don't drive!

Old 02-20-2022, 09:51 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
Quote:
My five year old loves to have friends over . However, I find it hard to arrange kids to come over. I emailed all twenty parents in his class and only two responded. Of that only one resulted in two get togethers at our house.

In his neighborhood there are also several kids he is friends with. But when I reach out to the parents about playing together I don't get much response. Or one neighbor is glad to send their kid over to our house but rarely offers to have our son over .

So I get the impression most parents are not interested in having their kids play with other kids. Perhaps many kids prefer to be alone or don't like playing with my son? Or the parents have plenty of help around the house and don't value the free time from sending their kids to play elsewhere? Or perhaps general paranoia about not knowing the parents well enough?
CoVid???
Some people might be cautious in an unvaxed age group

Aren’t YOU?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting