Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 04:20 PM

16,041 posts, read 7,961,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Your daughter was two? I wouldn't have any problem with giving a two-year-old a little tea, once in a while.

This is getting a little off topic, but when my first daughter was born, we had family friends whose son was almost exactly the same age. The mom was determined that nothing but her pure breast milk should touch his lips until he was a year old, and while she was nursing, she avoided all allergenic foods. For his first birthday, which we attended, she made him a gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free and nut-free cake (don't ask me what was actually in it! She had a normal cake for the guests.)

That kid ended up with more food allergies than you could shake a stick at. He was allergic to almost everything. Mom's response to that was, "Well, it's a good thing he only had breast milk for the first year, isn't it?"
Nothing but breast milk for a year? They say you should start solids around 5/6 months. I have heard that technically all a baby truly needs is milk for the first year of life is milk...but so many sources say to start solids around 6 months.

'The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends feeding babies only breast milk for the first 6 months of life. After that, the AAP recommends a combination of solid foods and breast milk until a baby is at least 1 year old. Then, babies may begin drinking whole cow's milk.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2022, 04:55 PM

11,779 posts, read 12,001,611 times
Quote:
I'm sure that's true. Allergies cannot be 100% prevented in all people. But early introduction to peanuts (prior to 1 year of age) has been shown to reduce peanut allergies by about 80%. That's a whole lot better than nothing.
Good point. My friend’s son was 9-10 months old when they discovered his severe peanut/tree nut/sesame seed allergy. I doubt introducing it a couple of months earlier would have made any difference in his case. He’s only outgrown the sesame seed allergy as an adult.

Old 02-26-2022, 05:20 PM

I hate to say it but I think adults and kids who have all these food allergies can be looked at as weaker than those who don't and in some cases a nuisance. More so adults...I get that they can't help it but ordering food at places with people who have allergies or are vegan/gluten free/lactose intolerant can be a pain especially when they give the restaurant a hard time about it. I've been at work events where people constantly complain about the food and they can't eat this or that. Sometimes you just have to bring your own lunch.

Old 02-26-2022, 06:45 PM

9,034 posts, read 6,077,890 times
I have a restricted list of foods that I eat. I can generally find something at a restaurant, but dining at other people's houses can be awkward. I generally call the host/hostess and inquire about the menu. If I can't eat the food, I explain and tell them that I'll bring my own food. I visit with people for the company, not the food. Not everyone understands, but I can't help their problems. I never expect a host/hostess to accommodate my dietary restrictions.

Old 02-26-2022, 07:36 PM

I remember I had a friend who suddenly became vegan or gluten free around the time of wedding in 2013. She haunted me wanting me to make sure there would be proper food for her to eat. Food she wanted, not needed. It was odd.

Old 02-26-2022, 07:45 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,560,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
My husband, who is a physician (but not a pediatrician or allergist), used to take cashews and peanuts and rub them on the lips and mouth of our children when they were 5-6 month old infants (our oldest is now almost 15). I remember being very nervous the first few times he did this, but he was insistent it was a good way to desensitize them to tree nuts and decrease the likelihood of sensitivities and/or allergies. He also always encouraged me to eat normally while pregnant and nursing and said I need not avoid any items since I was not allergic to anything. In other words, proceed as normal.

I guess it turns out he was right all along.
Love this.

Toddler dad here, and we introduced nuts, shellfish, eggs, etc. very early (probably 5ish months during transition to table foods)

There is also early allergen interdiction power that you can give you kids now while weaning from milk. We didn't go this route, but very trendy.

Old 02-26-2022, 10:37 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,988,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Nothing but breast milk for a year? They say you should start solids around 5/6 months. I have heard that technically all a baby truly needs is milk for the first year of life is milk...but so many sources say to start solids around 6 months.

'The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends feeding babies only breast milk for the first 6 months of life. After that, the AAP recommends a combination of solid foods and breast milk until a baby is at least 1 year old. Then, babies may begin drinking whole cow's milk.'
I've seen people in breastfeeding groups say they exclusively breast fed for the first 2-3 years. As a preschool teacher, I cannot imagine school lunches being some of the first solid foods they eat. Some people get a little too crazy when it comes to their breast milk, thinking it's all their child will ever need. Seems more like they're doing their child a diservice by waiting so long.

Old 02-27-2022, 04:49 AM

50,233 posts, read 63,745,127 times
My DIL introduced peanut butter at 6 months with my 2 little grandchildren, either in cereal or thinned with water or milk. It would be hard to raise kids without peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

My other grandkids are in their 20s, and nobody gave peanut butter a single thought back when they were little.

Interestingly, my 4 year old granddaughter got bad hives after sitting on a counter where eggplant had been cut. I had not heard of an eggplant allergy before.

Old 02-27-2022, 08:59 AM

14,277 posts, read 11,619,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Interestingly, my 4 year old granddaughter got bad hives after sitting on a counter where eggplant had been cut. I had not heard of an eggplant allergy before.
It is weird, how people can become allergic to almost anything. It can happen even after they've been eating or touching it for years. My sister always liked mangos, but as an adult she suddenly started getting a rash when she peeled one. She could still eat the flesh, but the skin gave her hives.

Old 02-27-2022, 09:51 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,642,256 times
Quote:
It is weird, how people can become allergic to almost anything. It can happen even after they've been eating or touching it for years. My sister always liked mangos, but as an adult she suddenly started getting a rash when she peeled one. She could still eat the flesh, but the skin gave her hives.
I have the same issue with shrimp. I can eat cooked shrimp with no issue whatsoever and have it a few times a month, but I have to wear gloves to handle raw shrimp and open a window when cooking them. My allergist told me that there can be cross-allergies with other items. I am allergic to dust and apparently this is not unusual with shrimp. I actually have a coworker who reports something similar with shrimp.

FWIW, we never ate peanut butter as kids. My sister and I just didn’t care for it, nor did my parents. I hated PB&J. We are able to eat nuts with no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting