Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 04:29 PM

116 posts, read 93,289 times

Advertisements

My boy is 7 yr old
Doing ok in school mostly upper percentile grades
Relationship with peers and other adults is good
He acts spoiled with me and his mother
Cries and throws a fit when he does not get his way
How can we “ unspoil “ him or is it too late ?
Only child , youngest amongst cousins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 04:57 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,238,477 times
Sounds like a normal 7yo.

Old 03-23-2022, 05:25 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
First off, never ever give in to what he wants when he throws a fit.

And in addition, tell him very clearly that he is not to throw fits and that if he does, not only will he not get what he wants right then but there will be one random unexpected negative consequence in the near future because of the fit. Do not tell him what that consequence will be.

So, he throws a fit because you don't let him eat ice cream for dinner. He doesn't get ice cream, AND the next day when he really wants to go play video games with his friend, you tell him he can't go because of yesterday's fit.

That's it. Then that incident is over. But if he throws another fit, repeat this process. It won't be long before he makes the connection between fits = disappointment.

Old 03-23-2022, 06:40 PM

1,250 posts, read 678,432 times
Thank you for caring about this.

Make him do chores. Not as punishment, but as a contribution to the family and as training to be an adult.

I spoiled the kids I raised and regret it. You are very smart to nip this in the bud.

Read Haim Ginott. It's old, but classic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haim_Ginott

Provide a table with art supplies, calculator, dictionary, etc. Encourage him to be creative.

Find out what his natural interests are and provide him all of the info you can on whatever it is.

Encourage his successes.

Old 03-24-2022, 02:43 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
When youngest grandson (5) cries and throws a huge hissy, I record it on my phone and show him how he looks. I play it back, over and over, to whoever is around and we laugh at it. Then I threaten to post it on You Tube so it goes viral and millions of people can laugh at it, too. He stops immediately...works every time.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:58 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,628 times
Seven year old grandson threw a tanty, as we say, today, for me. He had to have a long talk with me (retired teacher, ha ha) lost food treat from me, game time from his father and had to apologise to both his father and me.
I also tried to figure out the issues and I think he wasn’t adapting well to his mother, who had worked mostly from home for the past couple of years, being back in the office and having a business trip interstate today. I explained how we have to now go back to normal life, but of course his memory of that is somewhat limited.

I told him the true story of how a nine year old, in 1932, rode six hundred miles on his horse, alone, to see the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Which was a feat then and no doubt completely illegal now. The point being that children have to start taking some responsibility for their actions, “he has to put on his big boy shoes”

I will see next week whether an ounce of my advice/discussion sunk in! Probably not!

Old 03-24-2022, 04:05 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,628 times
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lennie_Gwyther

This is quite a story, as I wrote about above. Has been resurrected this week as it is the bridge’s 90th birthday.
Shows how much parenting has changed while the bridge is much as it was.

Old 03-24-2022, 01:17 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,024 times
Does this occur randomly? Or can you really count on the circumstances in which this occurs? My son is an only child and frequently when we got together with his cousins or with a group of friends with their kids, he had a hard time with sharing, being a sore loser over a game, etc. We got to a point where we explained that if he acted up we would go home. He wouldn't have a tantrum, but behavior that was not acceptable given his age. It was inconvenient but only happened twice where we had to leave. We would have the "talk" prior to the get together and remind him that if he was feeling frustrated he needed to take a break and walk away.

Old 03-24-2022, 01:40 PM

16,356 posts, read 8,174,665 times
My son is 7, will be 8 in May and he is becoming more chill. He still presses when he doesn't get something he wants but there haven't been crying incidents in a while.

Old 03-24-2022, 05:05 PM

116 posts, read 93,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
My son is 7, will be 8 in May and he is becoming more chill. He still presses when he doesn't get something he wants but there haven't been crying incidents in a while.
How did you manage to contain him ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting