Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:10 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,619,859 times

Advertisements

I was hoping to get some feedback from parents out there who are going through this or have gone through it. I have an extremely hard time with this. I have been so down in the dumps all week and I know its because my youngest is finishing 3rd grade this year and moving on to a new school. At least while we're in NJ. In NC, Elementary goes through 5th grade. Next month she has her 3rd grade concert for all the parents and the entire third grade sings a good-bye song to the parents and the school and just thinking about it chokes me up. When she graduated pre-school and was moving on to kindergarten, I was a mess. It took me weeks and weeks to try and cope with it all. My second youngest is also entering middle school next year and I already have 2 that are grown, college age. I would love to hear from some parents on how to put things into perspective and stop focusing on my kids growing up and just enjoy the time I have with them. I know what I have to do, but just having trouble doing it. By the way this was not an issue with my first 2 children, but more than likely because I had my younger ones.

Last edited by jeannie216; 05-22-2008 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 11:10 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,674 times
i feel your pain!! my youngest (out of 3) will be going to 1st grade next year....i cried when i got the school newsletter the other day announcing "KINDERGARTEN ROUNDUP!!!" because my youngest is past that and I'll never have another little one again to go to KG again with. No more special time at home w/a little one..sigh....Im still enjoying the time i have w/my kids and loving who they are at this moment, but I do mourn what wont happen again....Personally, im thinking PROZAC!! but anxiously awaiting the answers others will have to your post!
Tiffany

Old 05-22-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
i feel your pain!! my youngest (out of 3) will be going to 1st grade next year....i cried when i got the school newsletter the other day announcing "KINDERGARTEN ROUNDUP!!!" because my youngest is past that and I'll never have another little one again to go to KG again with. No more special time at home w/a little one..sigh....Im still enjoying the time i have w/my kids and loving who they are at this moment, but I do mourn what wont happen again....Personally, im thinking PROZAC!! but anxiously awaiting the answers others will have to your post!
Tiffany
Thanks Tiffany. Sometimes I really think I'm losing it. I feel your pain with kindergarten. The dress I put my daughter in for pre-school graduation is still hanging in my closet since the day she wore it. I can't believe that was 4 years ago! I do enjoy my time with my kids but sometimes I don't have time or find I'm too tired and then I have to remind myself how short this time really is.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:36 AM

515 posts, read 1,557,885 times
I'm with you in spirit! This year, I've got one learning to drive, and I cry abou thtat, one that just finished the 8th grade, and I was a blubbering IDIOT about that, and my youngest, who just finished kindergarten, too.

Hmmm... I guess I'm just a crier!

When I was in school, Elementary was K-4, Middle school was 5-8. Every school district is different, but it doesn't make it any easier for us, does it?

Hang in there, mom...

~D

Old 05-22-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmom View Post
I'm with you in spirit! This year, I've got one learning to drive, and I cry abou thtat, one that just finished the 8th grade, and I was a blubbering IDIOT about that, and my youngest, who just finished kindergarten, too.

Hmmm... I guess I'm just a crier!

When I was in school, Elementary was K-4, Middle school was 5-8. Every school district is different, but it doesn't make it any easier for us, does it?

Hang in there, mom...

~D
oh yes, the driving age. I remember it well. I had 2 that graduated high school in 2005 and I struggled with it but I had my little ones to come home to. I know there are many years ahead but it doesn't make this time any easier. My sister just had her 4th child last week and she is complaining about how she looks and the baby has to be held all the time, and her 3 year old twins, etc, etc. I told her I feel her pain but remember how fast this time goes and try and enjoy it. She also has an older child in her 20's.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:54 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,605,167 times
Hey Sweetie,

Milestones, you love them and hate them!!

I so know how you feel. My kids just finished up 2nd and 3rd grade and I can't stop thinking that they are growing up so fast. Time justs seems to be going by faster every year. All you can really do is cherish every single moment with them every single day. Never be too busy to talk, to play a board game, to listen to their stories, to snuggle up with them and watch Monsters, Inc. for the 1,000th time etc.

My kids just recently made their communion a few weeks ago and the Bishop was doing a speech to all the parents. The focus of his entire speech was about creating memories for your children (good memories). And when I thought about it and looked back on my own childhood, the good memories are what I remember the most.

Make every single day of their lives and your life happy, fun and full of love.

Enjoy the time you have with them now!!!! And yes it is still ok to peek in on them while their sleeping and be amazed at how beautiful and precious they are!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:29 PM

955 posts, read 3,648,429 times
OK - my little ones are still little (three next week and 4 months) and alread I find myself in this situation!!! I try so hard to just treasure each day knowing they grow and get a day older each day! awww I could cry just writing this!! I think a lot of this comes from knowing that we are pretty surely done having babies and this is my last little one!!

Old 05-22-2008, 03:09 PM

515 posts, read 1,557,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
And yes it is still ok to peek in on them while their sleeping and be amazed at how beautiful and precious they are!
That's good to know, cause I still do!

~D

Old 05-23-2008, 10:34 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,275 times
I don't feel like this at all about my 4 year old son *sniff sniff* And NO, reading your posts didn't make my eyes tear up

Old 05-23-2008, 10:38 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,057 times
I'll be glad when my kids get jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting