Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Parenting: college, children, teacher, teen pregnancy, STDs.

View Poll Results: Should high schools have available and distribute condoms to students?
YES! They should. 20 58.82%
NO! They should not. 14 41.18%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:23 AM

1,244 posts, read 3,225,814 times

Advertisements

I am a full time student and currently completely my speech class. I have to do my final speech and as part of it survey an audience so figured... hey city data parents... why not. Figured parenting board is probably best for this topic to get parent opinion. So please, please, please, if you don't mind voting in this poll and then answering these questions, I'd really appreciate it. I won't be using any names. Just results.

Thanks

Poll question:

Should high schools have available and be allowed to issue or distribute condoms to high school students (at the students initiation)?

Questions for voters: (Please answer general questions and vote specific questions, thank you)

General questions...
  1. Do you think that parents are ultimately responsible for educating their children in regards to sexual activity? In your opinion, are they doing so or failing to do so?
  2. Do you think that schools should have a role in educating students in regards to sexual activity? Why or why not?
  3. What do you feel are some of the biggest issues and problems in society that result from sexual activity in teenagers?
If you voted yes...
  1. Why do you think this is a good idea?
  2. How do you think this will benefit the students?
  3. What benefit do you think it would provide society?
  4. Where should students be able to obtain these condoms on school grounds? i.e. office, clinic, heath teachers, etc.
  5. Who should oversee the distribution? i.e. teachers, administrators, school nurse, etc.
If you voted no....
  1. Why do you think this is a bad idea?
  2. How do you think this will be a detriment to the students?
  3. What do you think is the negative impact to society?
  4. Where do you think supplied condoms should be coming from for these students?
  5. Who should ultimately be responsible to provide or ensure these students have access to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 10:51 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,872 times
Quote:
Do you think that parents are ultimately responsible for educating their children in regards to sexual activity? In your opinion, are they doing so or failing to do so?
Parents should IDEALLY be responsible for educating their children. They are definately failing to do so. This isn't new! I graduated HS 20 years ago, and soooo many people I went to school with were pregnant in HS. This was in the mid-late 80's when people were really becoming aware about the dangers of AIDS and how to prevent it.

Quote:
Do you think that schools should have a role in educating students in regards to sexual activity? Why or why not?
What do you feel are some of the biggest issues and problems in society that result from sexual activity in teenagers?
Definately schools should have a role. It should be a default role to the parent's. But this is IMPORTANT, it can be life changing, it can be a matter of life or death. It is THEIR bodies! Aren't they ENTITLED to being educated on how exactly their bodies work???

Besides the obvious potential of unintended pregnancies and disease... teens having sex are less likely to be focused on a successful future for themselves, on how to get there. Their priorities change, usually lower. They are now dealing with adult issues, while they need to be developing into an adult.

Quote:
Why do you think this is a good idea?
How do you think this will benefit the students?
What benefit do you think it would provide society?
Where should students be able to obtain these condoms on school grounds? i.e. office, clinic, heath teachers, etc.
Who should oversee the distribution? i.e. teachers, administrators, school nurse, etc.
I think they should be able to recieve condoms from councellors or school nurse. People need to be able to make informed decisions. Teens think and talk about sex ALOT, even if they are not doing it. They, and us, do not benefit by keeping information from them. We do not benefit by editing the truth.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:33 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
General questions...

1. Do you think that parents are ultimately responsible for educating their children in regards to sexual activity? In your opinion, are they doing so or failing to do so?
I think that parents do have the ultimate responsibility for sex ed. However, I think that a lot of parents are waiting too long or just saying "don't do it" which is not very effective. I have a friend who only knew that she shouldn't have sex, but she didn't actually even know what sex was. Not very helpful.
2. Do you think that schools should have a role in educating students in regards to sexual activity? Why or why not? I also think that schools have a role to teach human sexuality. Even if students never have sex until they are 25 and married, they are still going to need to know about it eventually.
3. What do you feel are some of the biggest issues and problems in society that result from sexual activity in teenagers? Well, there's the obvious answers of teen pregnancy and STDs. There's also esteem issues involved with teen sexuality.

If you voted yes...

I think that it's better for them to be protected if they are going to be having sex. And I don't think that lack of protection is going to prevent them from having sex.
2. How do you think this will benefit the students? The students will benefit by having protected sex instead of unprotected sex.
3. What benefit do you think it would provide society? Society will benefit from fewer instances of teen pregnancy and STDs.
4. Where should students be able to obtain these condoms on school grounds? i.e. office, clinic, heath teachers, etc. I think the nurse's office is an appropriate place.
5. Who should oversee the distribution? i.e. teachers, administrators, school nurse, etc. I'll go with school nurse.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:58 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
High schools SHOULD have a part and SHOULD distribute condoms ONLY because parents are still "afraid" to talk about S.....E.....X..... Nothings changed since I was a kid 50 years ago.... other then that NO WAY JOSE' [but that's in an ideal world]

Old 05-22-2008, 03:20 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
I think these young single moms are setting themselves up to be financially and intellectually poor. There is no reason to have a baby before finishing high school.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:04 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I think these young single moms are setting themselves up to be financially and intellectually poor. There is no reason to have a baby before finishing high school.
And that's why you support distributing condoms in schools? Just trying to clarify...

Old 05-22-2008, 10:06 PM

Thank you all that are participating and giving feedback. This is going to help me out a lot. I'm going to share my own answers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post

Poll question:

Should high schools have available and be allowed to issue or distribute condoms to high school students (at the students initiation)?
To my surprise, my position is being that yes they should.

Quote:

General questions...
  2. Do you think that schools should have a role in educating students in regards to sexual activity? Why or why not?
  3. What do you feel are some of the biggest issues and problems in society that result from sexual activity in teenagers?
1. My personal belief is that ultimately it is the responsibility of the parents to educate their children in this area. In my opinion, however, sadly not enough parents are doing so. I believe some of the reasons are because they either don't know how, are to embaressed to do so, or believe that simply because they tell their child not to do it is going to be enough and the child is simply going to do as the parent says in this case. Unfortunately, in this area more than any, it will be the child's own convictions that will determine if they do or not. Therefore the parents really need to take time to educate their children and guide those convictions as best as they can.

2. I do believe that schools should have a role. My opinion has always been that it should be a secondary role to that of the parents. Unfortunately, I do believe that they need to step up and do more due to the parent's not taking that primary role.

3. Some of the biggest issues that I feel exist are not only STD's, but also unwanted or unplanned pregnancies that end up either in abortions or children raising children, if not grandparents now having to start all over as they raise their child's, child. Multiple partners is another issue that I feel exists today with far too much experimentation going on and the lack of commitment there is in these young relationships.

Quote:

If you voted yes...
  2. How do you think this will benefit the students?
  3. What benefit do you think it would provide society?
  4. Where should students be able to obtain these condoms on school grounds? i.e. office, clinic, heath teachers, etc.
  5. Who should oversee the distribution? i.e. teachers, administrators, school nurse, etc.
1. I think it is a good idea because the reality is that if a kid wants to have sex, they are going to. Sometimes access to condoms is not readily available to them. If they are not working, they don't have the money to buy them. If they don't drive, they may not be able to get down to the nearest planned parenthood location or health department to get them for free. If they can't or won't turn to their parents, where does this leave them. Often times not using any protection at all.

2. I think this will benefit the students because they will know where they can go get some if needed. They don't have to worry about having money for them. Basically, they will be left with no excuse not to use them other than a choice they make not to.

3. I think it will benefit society by hopefully reducing the spread of STD's and reducing the amount of unwanted/unplanned pregnancies that often result in teenaged single moms now collecting support from government agencies to help support the child.

4. I believe that they should be able to obtain them from a controlled environment such as the clinic or health teachers. The reason for this is because there should be someone there that can ask if they have any questions and be able to provide answers that will educate the student.

5. I believe that the distribution should be administered by someone who is not only responsible but who would be knowledgeable in this area. A human growth and development teacher or clinic nurse would be ideal. Even a counselor would work.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:16 PM

I would like to thank all of you that voted. I am in the process now of finalizing my speech. I would have liked for a few more to have shared their reason's why for their vote, but do none the less appreciate the 23 votes that came in. Thank you once again.

Mari

Old 05-28-2008, 07:29 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I think there is an enormous gulf between teaching kids about sex, which is a legitimate function of public schools, and enabling sex, which distributing condoms essentially does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting