Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:04 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,456 times

Advertisements

Holy crap! Over-protective. I dont care if my children "grind" Its dancing, I will tell them that. It really is just dancing it is your responsibilty as a parent to teach kids about sexual advances and sex. They are going to do stuff whether you like it or not but you can teach them about the consequences. I dont think grinding is bad at all but I live in a state where most people do not have a problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 08:29 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Holy crap! Over-protective. I dont care if my children "grind" Its dancing, I will tell them that. It really is just dancing it is your responsibilty as a parent to teach kids about sexual advances and sex. They are going to do stuff whether you like it or not but you can teach them about the consequences. I dont think grinding is bad at all but I live in a state where most people do not have a problem with it.
You probably don't have kids yet.

"Grinding" isn't dancing. It's disgusting --- in "the old days", they would call it "dry-humping".

I can assure you, I don't want any boy humping on my daughter or "grinding" his genitals on her rearend. That's exactly what "grinding" is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grinding_(dance)

When you have kids and if you have them already, then you can allow boys to hump all over your daughter(s). There are SOME parents who would like to shield/protect their children from sexual behavior at least until they're old enough to truly understand what it is.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:29 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leila71 View Post
my daughter is at a private school and theres none of the grinding. she says the dances are just normal middle school dances. and that they slow dance normally and the boys and girls are kind separate for upbeat songs

I really don't think this type of stuff happens as often as tv makes it out to be. Most young teens are way to scared or akward to just grab each others hands and rub aganist each other.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:32 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
You probably don't have kids yet.

"Grinding" isn't dancing. It's disgusting --- in "the old days", they would call it "dry-humping".

I can assure you, I don't want any boy humping on my daughter or "grinding" his genitals on her rearend. That's exactly what "grinding" is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grinding_(dance)

When you have kids and if you have them already, then you can allow boys to hump all over your daughter(s). There are SOME parents who would like to shield/protect their children from sexual behavior at least until they're old enough to truly understand what it is.

I have 1 daughter and another daughter on the way. Im sorry but girls as young as 11 are having sex because of overprotective parents who dont teach them what it is. My kids I am perfectly fine with grinding as long as they know what it is and know what It can lead to.

Also, where I am from other Parents do not have problems with it. Sexual Education begans at age 8 where I am from also.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:36 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,303,767 times
I'm pretty sure grinding started in the 80's and general sexy dancing between young people...what year was Dirty Dancing? It's not that new.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:41 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
I have 1 daughter and another daughter on the way. Im sorry but girls as young as 11 are having sex because of overprotective parents who dont teach them what it is. My kids I am perfectly fine with grinding as long as they know what it is and know what It can lead to.

Also, where I am from other Parents do not have problems with it. Sexual Education begans at age 8 where I am from also.

I taught my kids the basics at 5 and plan to give a more detailed talk around 8 or 9 .

Old 09-13-2010, 11:11 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,477 times
I know that this is an old thread, but can I ask the general ages of the parents who had no idea that this type of dance existed and are "shocked" that kids in junior high do this? I'm in my 30s, and we were doing this in the late 80s-early 90s. But never at a school sanctioned dance. We knew better. Did we know it was simulated sex, well, yes. Did girls come off as sleazy for dancing this way? Absolutely not! That's how everyone danced, even the "good" girls. So again, I'm curious as to everyone's age, because the jerk, the bump, and the hustle, were not forms of dance that anyone was doing.

As a parent now, I can't say that I'd be ok with my own child participating in this form of dance. If I ever had to chaperone a school sanctioned dance, I'd definitely separate the kids. However, I'm realistic. Whatever dances you see at school, are not what dances are being done at private parties.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:20 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,907 times
I did not comment on this thread, but for reference, I was born in 1970. At middle school dances, we were still doing the stupid swinging your arms back and forth while shuffling your feet back and forth thing. The last dance I went to was in middle school, probably in 1983, so that is where my memory of school dances ends.

Later, in the early 90s, I learned country-western dance (two step, swing, and waltz) and that is what I went out and danced in clubs. At the same time, swing dancing was getting kind of popular again (for that little brief period of time). A good swing partner who can flip you is worth heaps more than some dude who can grind his pelvis against you. I wore out my boots and my jeans going out country dancing and had a damn good time of it without grinding my naughty bits against a horny guy.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:23 PM

13,418 posts, read 9,948,375 times
I just want to say Puffle. A lot. Puffle. Puffle, Puffle, Puffle. Ok, I feel better now. (Sorry, it's late.)

Old 09-14-2010, 01:53 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
If you are worried about this then volunteer to chaperon the dances. I know our school didn't put up with this kind of stuff and when kids started doing it (freak dancing they called it) they would be told to stop.

Honestly, look at your child and their friends....and realize that IF that is going on at THEIR school it's because THEY are doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting