Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 05:06 PM

15,657 posts, read 7,672,287 times

Advertisements

I heard a dad discipline his kids recently in a parking lot telling them, I'm gonna beat you up. I was sitting in the car he had no idea I was listening. He didn't actually hit anyone but he was mad when he said it.

one time I said a swear when I was angry at my kids and they got in line very quickly. I felt bad about it and haven't done that since. when parents do the same thing over and over it loses any affect. Since I never swear in front of the kids, my son, in particular was like oh she means business. I don't want my kids to swear though so it's not a habit I want to get into. Pretty sure goddamn was the swear i said. I also called someone an idiot who cut me off last week and my son goes mom don't swear.

Old 11-01-2022, 05:20 PM

6,478 posts, read 7,439,537 times
^^ My mom never used profanity either when I was a kid, the few times she did was when she was upset with my sister and I , we knew she meant business.

Kids need to be taught when I take a parent seriously.

Old 11-01-2022, 07:10 PM

8,892 posts, read 5,919,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoiey View Post
I asked because I hear stories Asian families hit their children because the children didn't obey. They hit their children in the butts with long sticks, or slap them in the face. According to the laws, is it legal or not?

Where did you "hear stories" about Asian families?

Hear any stories about drunken white families hitting their children for no reason?

More Asian bashing. This is not true.

""Parental education and socioeconomic status are stronger drivers of parenting strategies than differences in race or culture," Lee writes. "Highly educated, middle-class parents are less likely to use corporal punishment to discipline their children than less-educated, working-class, and poor parents.""

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...ildren-n221171

Last edited by Lillie767; 11-01-2022 at 07:58 PM..

Old 11-01-2022, 08:31 PM

That's what I said above as well ^^. The more educated people are the less likely they are to get out of control and hit smack their kids. There are always going to be exceptions of course.

people hear stories about our other people. People often tell stories of things that happened to them as kids. Maybe the op who said they've heard stories about Asian families were told by Asian friends they had ?

I once said that I don't believe in spanking to a friend of mine who was black. She just laughed and said you need to go see what happens at a black families house. I didn't ask much about it she was very sweet and lived with her grandmother who was also very sweet. It was hard to picture the grandmother spanking her.

Old 11-01-2022, 10:23 PM

5,457 posts, read 3,338,813 times
Quote:
Is it ok for Asian parents to hit their children to make them obey?

Well, it is not illegal. I think a good swat (one) with open hand would probably do good but I object to hitting toddlers.

I suppose people will discipline their children much like their parents did with them when they were kids.

Old 11-02-2022, 01:57 AM

7,669 posts, read 5,385,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Asians culturally are well known for hitting their kids. It's not a secret or stereotype. Caribbean parents, African parents, the French, Canadians, eastern Europeans, in large numbers spank their kids. It's only white Americans, the British, and Scandinavians who find it "shocking".
Prove it. Link to respected articles that prove it. Don't just toss out some likely false generalization about any group, especially one which is negative about any culture, including white culture.

Or tell us about your own upbringing.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:26 AM

2,926 posts, read 1,500,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp86 View Post
Whatever the race, hitting kids is child abuse. Period. New gen is evolving from all the wrong things boomer gen did in the past.
Better than being hit later on by hard knocks of society.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:42 AM

I think the question is - is the new generation doing it right? Many parents are very laid back these days but i think parents and kids are also busier these days with activities. However there is more screen time today than ever before and less going outside than there was in previous generations. There seems to be many more cases of depression, suicidal tendencies, drugs, etc. I think more is diagnosed these days than before as well. So if people are better parents than previous generations why in some ways do the kids seem worse? We also have many families where two parents work and are around their kids less than previous generations because they're at work.

My kids are way busier than I was...expectations of kids today seem higher than just a few decades ago. Kids are expected to read in kindergaten. My daughter is in 1st grade and even the teacher told me that there's more school work now than ever before and less playtime. My 3rd grader has complained to me already about how much more they are doing throughout the day than in 2nd grade...and the day starts 2 hours earlier for him this year.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:47 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,606,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Better than being hit later on by hard knocks of society.
Explain? Beating a child prevents them from experiencing hardship as an adult?

Old 11-02-2022, 10:27 AM

7,991 posts, read 12,222,290 times
Default Longest Mod Cut In City-Data History?

Greetings, everyone!

This thread is now six pages in length. In large part the discussion has become GENERIC in terms of whether parents should or should not spank their children. It has been in THAT regard/aspect that the thread has been allowed to continue for six pages, although admittedly this thread should have been dealt with very differently from very early on. (If June makes a highly suspectable judgement, or is just plain, flat-out wrong, she'll be the first to admit it, moderator or not!) -With that being said, the OP, (quoted below,) has now begun to receive numerous Reports, based on the specific wording of the OP:

"Is it ok for ASIAN PARENTS to hit their children to make them obey?"

(Capitalization in the above OP's wording mine.)

Like I said, the fact that the thread DID, in fact, morph into one in which a large-enough percentage of the posts turned into a generic debate about spanking, in general, it was allowed to remain open. However, in light of the fact that Reports have begun being received, addressing, and/or noting the fact that the OP is specifically inquiring about Asian parents spanking their children, the thread truly needs to be CLOSED, if not completely removed.

To single-out one, specific ethnic group or nationality by way of specifically inquiring whether "they" perform "certain acts" (here, "spanking") that in today's society have become highly debatable, and oftentimes are quite emotionally laden, can easily come across, (or actually be) termed "racist" in nature.

We are already living in an incredibly divisive world, within which different ethnic groups have been singled out in heinously negative ways. As such, city-data does not wish to contribute to, or to bring any posts and/or threads of any racist, or any hint of the possibility of being racist posted on it's forums. (Please refer to the Terms of Service for this specific aspect of posting.)

NOTE: June feels she would be remiss if she did not acknowledge the fact that different cultural and ethnic ways and customs do exist within particular ethnic groups that do not take place within a different ethnicity's culture. This is not a BAD THING, as it is part of a person's individual identity and affiliation within the culture in which they were raised. Many, many beautiful customs exist within various ethnic groups, which can hopefully enrich the lives of others not familiar with such customs. However, that is very different from singling out a certain ethnicity by either blatantly making statements, or negatively alluding to, and taking action towards what is perceived as being negative aspects pertaining to that ethnic group. That is called a "racist attitude" or "action."

That last point will never be tolerated here on city-data. Respect, however, will, and is greatly encouraged. Differences can and should be respected.

Thanks to all who have (sustained eye strain) in reading this "Award Winning Lengthy Mod Cut." (Being long-winded was not the intention, but somehow, well, we're all just human, ya know?) ....

This thread will remain up for 24 hours before being re-located to a new "home." In the meantime, again, thanks for those who have read this, and genuine well-wishes for a safe and happy day!

~June

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting