U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 12:29 PM

13,513 posts, read 9,518,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Right. And what the parents are doing today will be outdated by the time they have grandkids, and their kids will be scoffing and complaining about them not being up to date and putting the grandkids at risk.
Each generation needs to learn to hand over the reins graciously.

Doing so will certainly cut down on the "scoffing and complaining."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2022, 12:59 PM

32,523 posts, read 27,585,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

I think the point some of us were trying to make is that they pretty much do, with few exceptions, but hey nothing is 100%.
Seems there are extremes on both sides, on one side some grands push boundaries and interfere in childcare philosophies and on the other parents think their parents don't have any common sense and new current trends must be strictly adhered to.
Most of us are somewhere in the middle.
I recall a few things my mom and dad did with my kids that I didnt agree with and upset me and I recall them being a help and blessing, and I recall some things/ideas both mom and grandma and dad did to us when we were little that I cringe at, wonder how I'm still alive and would never do with my own kids. I think we should just not sweat the small stuff.

Last edited by 2mares; 11-28-2022 at 01:56 PM..

Old 11-28-2022, 03:16 PM

12,344 posts, read 12,878,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

Oh, absolutely. I will definitely not try to grab the reins of parenting from my kids and their spouses. And I will defer to their judgement when it comes to any future grandchildren. I've raised my kids and it'll be their turn to raise their children.

I will say that I do hope that my kids have the good sense to keep their small children on a regular schedule and that they make the effort to help their children to become good sleepers in their own cribs from early on.

One of the things that made visits with grandparents so pleasant was that our kids had regular bedtimes and the grown ups always had some downtime in the evenings to relax, talk, sip some wine and watch non-kid shows on t.v.

Old 11-28-2022, 03:27 PM

13,513 posts, read 9,518,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I will say that I do hope that my kids have the good sense to keep their small children on a regular schedule and that they make the effort to help their children to become good sleepers in their own cribs from early on.
I'm with you on that. This was very important to me, too.

Old 11-29-2022, 11:49 AM

2,448 posts, read 3,017,396 times
You have to review safety no matter who is in charge of watching children. My biggest worries are always other people's dogs, homes with pools, making sure medications are not in reach, stairs when they are little, inappropriate foods/choking hazards. Make sure hands are held in parking lots/crossing the street/around traffic (My youngest was a runner). Car seats you buy & install for the grandparents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting