Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 01:52 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I’m just appalled by all of the ideas here without listening to your health professionals who will tell you that it’s important to be eating a wholesome healthy diet while pregnant. Foods rich with nutrients and wholesome like chicken, vegetables, eggs, and dairy. No processed and foods loaded with sugars and bad carbs. A baby who gets bad quality foods from the mother will not be easy to deliver. Talk to your obgyn doctor.
Oh good grief, women have been having successful pregnancies and births since day one without consulting an obgyn for food choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2023, 04:56 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,954,275 times
When I was pregnant with twins….I ate everything in sight!

Old 02-09-2023, 04:49 PM

7,321 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Oh good grief, women have been having successful pregnancies and births since day one without consulting an obgyn for food choices.
I know! I'm a baby boomer and what my mother's generation ate and drank during pregnancies was shocking. It's amazing so many boomers survived.

Deli meats won't harm a baby. There are less processed deli meats without nitrates. Trader Joe has their own deli meats without nitrates at low prices. Publix, Whole Foods, Earth Fare, etc carries them at a higher price.

A couple of slices of Boars Head roast beef or turkey isn't going to hurt a baby.

No source of protein is far worse than deli meats.

Fishes containing mercury, like swordfish and tuna, is unwise.

Raw fish/shellfish is unwise.

My mother lived on wonder bread and other processed foods pumped full of chemicals and sugar. We all survived.

Old 02-09-2023, 06:40 PM

289 posts, read 489,382 times
You can make deviled eggs, and put two halves together to pack. Boiled eggs are good too, if the smell doesn’t bother her.

Cooked chicken mixed with pizza sauce or marinara, plus shredded moz cheese, cooked mushrooms/onions/peppers … send to go in a pita

Cooked chicken with tzatziki, cucumbers, olives, tomatoes… send to go in a pita

Cold grilled chicken, esp if it’s blackened, is really good

Old 02-10-2023, 07:54 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I know! I'm a baby boomer and what my mother's generation ate and drank during pregnancies was shocking. It's amazing so many boomers survived.

Deli meats won't harm a baby. There are less processed deli meats without nitrates. Trader Joe has their own deli meats without nitrates at low prices. Publix, Whole Foods, Earth Fare, etc carries them at a higher price.

A couple of slices of Boars Head roast beef or turkey isn't going to hurt a baby.

No source of protein is far worse than deli meats.

Fishes containing mercury, like swordfish and tuna, is unwise.

Raw fish/shellfish is unwise.

My mother lived on wonder bread and other processed foods pumped full of chemicals and sugar. We all survived.
I remember my mother telling the story of when my little brother was born. When he decided to come out he came really fast. Part of the story was "I was in the labor room when he crowned and had to put out my cigarette so the nurses could rush me into the delivery room. There was no dont eat or drink this or that in the 70's

Old 02-22-2023, 05:50 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,571,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I'm looking for lunch ideas for my pregnant wife. She doesn't have access to a microwave so it needs to be a cold lunch. She's been packing PBJ sandwiches and she says they are getting old.

She can't eat deli meat due to her pregnancy. Does anyone have any other easy/quick lunch ideas that don't require a microwave but are safe for a pregnant woman?

Salads are another thing she packs sometimes but she is sort of turned off by lettuce in this pregnancy so she has to force it down.

Congratulations to you & your wife! I’m not pregnant…(yet)…but I wandered my way into this forum.^^ What about wraps with safe catch tuna once a week or chicken & raw veggies? She could also try peanut butter, nuts, apples & bananas in a pita to add a little pizzaz to PBJs if she is tired of that & the fresh fruit is better than jelly anyway. AND…there are lots of salad ideas without lettuce.

Old 02-22-2023, 08:36 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I would try not to get too caught up in the “rules.” They are somewhat arbitrary and based on an abundance of caution in what could conceivably pass to baby or affect mom in a negative way that also affects baby
During my pregnancy, there were 5 separate recalls on lettuce due to listeria.

You'll never hear a doctor tell a pregnant woman she shouldn't eat lettuce. That's when I realized so many of these rules are meaningless. There weren't any deli meat recalls, so to me that seemed safer to eat than lettuce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting