Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 03:21 AM

39 posts, read 21,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Does she have regular bowel movements? One of my grand kids suffers with constipation, it interferes with him being able to feel he needs the potty. By the time he felt he needed to go, if he didn't get to a bathroom ASAP he would have an accident.

Some kids just don't potty train before 4. If she is not feeling the need to go, then it's more so you and the preschool trying to catch her at the right time.

I don't know what to suggest. I know preschools want them potty trained by her age.
She's has regular bowel movements in the sensetheyre not held but they're not at regular times of the day.

The bigger issue is pee accidents as we sit her down every 30 mins or so for about 10 mins and engage with her. But she rarely goes longer than 2 hours without peeing, either on the toilet when she's sat there or the floor/pants.

I've never seen or had the advice that kids can potty train late, and have had family asking why we will still not there at 3 years old.

I really don't want her to not be at preschool all next week as the two rooms are quite interconnected, just the younger one has the support of a nursery. She's an August baby so won't be far older than the others.

We'll discuss their needs but I'm now a lot more torn to if i should keep going or stop and trust it'll happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 11:28 AM

7,123 posts, read 3,947,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Does she have regular bowel movements? One of my grand kids suffers with constipation, it interferes with him being able to feel he needs the potty. By the time he felt he needed to go, if he didn't get to a bathroom ASAP he would have an accident.
My son had a small bladder so he wet the bed at night. It wasn't his fault as his bladder was small, but we did workout a routine of woke him up at 10 pm, 12 am and 3 am until it was better. After success, we only woke him at 12 pm. Evidentially, his bladder learned to hold more liquid.

Now that I'm old, I waking twice a night!

My daughter didn't want to potty train. She was stubborn and it became a battle of will between us. I sent her to Grandma's for a weekend. By the end of the 48 hours, she was potty trained.

Have you told your daughter if she doesn't potty trained, she'll have to leave school? It might be the incentive she needs. You have to tell her how serious this is! In this case, punitive results works better than positive rewards. You can't give up!!!

Old 02-19-2023, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
My son had a small bladder so he wet the bed at night. It wasn't his fault as his bladder was small, but we did workout a routine of woke him up at 10 pm, 12 am and 3 am until it was better. After success, we only woke him at 12 pm. Evidentially, his bladder learned to hold more liquid.

Now that I'm old, I waking twice a night!

My daughter didn't want to potty train. She was stubborn and it became a battle of will between us. I sent her to Grandma's for a weekend. By the end of the 48 hours, she was potty trained.

Have you told your daughter if she doesn't potty trained, she'll have to leave school? It might be the incentive she needs. You have to tell her how serious this is! In this case, punitive results works better than positive rewards. You can't give up!!!
Thank you! We said she won't be in next and she got a bit upset but she's not figured out and can't comprehend it's going to be longer than a day. We've not tried punitive at all as we've been told that's not going to help by preschool, but it's the only approach we haven't tried and so we might have to be tougher on her for the accidents and make certain she knows they're a bad thing.

I was very close to giving up and bought a pack of diapers today, and were going to take her later in the week if we had no success

Old 02-19-2023, 02:56 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,192,675 times
It is time to try something new. It sounds like it'll be hard for you to take off considerable time to make another go of it so maybe you'd (she'd) get a boost by just letting her go to the lower class. I'm assuming her "friends" are in the other class and being with the babies would be quite boring for her. Perhaps they could also help in making it boring by not giving her any special attention or entertainments (no toys meant for kids her age, etc.)

Inquire each day with the teachers and her to see if she is indeed bored and if at that point it would be an incentive to potty train and get to re-join the other class. It won't hurt...and might help.

Old 02-20-2023, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It is time to try something new. It sounds like it'll be hard for you to take off considerable time to make another go of it so maybe you'd (she'd) get a boost by just letting her go to the lower class. I'm assuming her "friends" are in the other class and being with the babies would be quite boring for her. Perhaps they could also help in making it boring by not giving her any special attention or entertainments (no toys meant for kids her age, etc.)

Inquire each day with the teachers and her to see if she is indeed bored and if at that point it would be an incentive to potty train and get to re-join the other class. It won't hurt...and might help.
I've booked off the next two days and we're going to get her to help clean up accidents etc to try and have consequences to this.

We've spoken to the preschool and if we see no progress again we're going to put her back in diapers and send her to that group.

As good as that idea sounds I think the preschool will want to push her for professional pride.

Old 02-20-2023, 03:06 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,192,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy72451 View Post
I've booked off the next two days and we're going to get her to help clean up accidents etc to try and have consequences to this.

We've spoken to the preschool and if we see no progress again we're going to put her back in diapers and send her to that group.

As good as that idea sounds I think the preschool will want to push her for professional pride.
"Push her for professional pride"? I don't quite understand what that means but I'd encourage them to do what's best for your daughter and sometimes that means using some good old "negative reinforcement" so here are some examples of stuff we/kids do all the time in real life:
  • Take a bath/shower on a hot day to remove the bad smell and yucky feeling.
  • Wear a coat on a chilly day to avoid catching a cold.
  • Put away toys after playing with them to prevent losing them.

***Getting potty-trained to feel clean and get to be with the "big kids" who are actually her peers.

Educators should understand this concept and make use of it rather than doing whatever for their "professional pride", but maybe I misunderstand what you mean.

Old 02-20-2023, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
"Push her for professional pride"? I don't quite understand what that means but I'd encourage them to do what's best for your daughter and sometimes that means using some good old "negative reinforcement" so here are some examples of stuff we/kids do all the time in real life:
  • Take a bath/shower on a hot day to remove the bad smell and yucky feeling.
  • Wear a coat on a chilly day to avoid catching a cold.
  • Put away toys after playing with them to prevent losing them.

***Getting potty-trained to feel clean and get to be with the "big kids" who are actually her peers.

Educators should understand this concept and make use of it rather than doing whatever for their "professional pride", but maybe I misunderstand what you mean.
Sorry that makes complete sense and I think I misunderstood. I've not seen the potty side of it, but I know they push them in their learning and play, but it makes total sense that potty would be a priority.

Old 02-20-2023, 06:08 AM

3,871 posts, read 2,065,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy72451 View Post
Hi all,

I'm at a loss and advice I've had from family hasn't helped at all. My 3.5 year old daughter has been at potty training for about 3 months with no success, we've tried pretty much app approaches but can't get her to initiate any times she's on the toilet. We've had doctors visits but are still having multiple accidents a day.

Preschool have asked she move into a lower group where they can have her in diapers and want her in them for preschool with the accidents she's having.

What should I do here, has anyone had a 3.5 year old back in diapers or should I stick it out and pull out of preschool for now?

Any help and advice on if we should take a pause or carry on would be really helpful, thank you
Sorry to say that you and your child are both victims of diapers industry and fake “psychology”- “when they are ready”.

You suppose to train your baby when they are just a few months old like it was done for thousands of years by different cultures before the diaper industry interfered.

Think about it: you could teach a kitten or the puppy to eliminate in a particular place nearly right away.

Human babies are smarter than kittens.

Kids in rural villages the world over are trained early - if they are not subject to “charity” diapers from the first World organizations who allegedly are “helping”

Young moms don’t even realize it - we have lost the knowledge and skills of basic child rearing - just look at those “diaper cakes” on IG for baby showers

Now that due to fake “science” and the diaper marketing you have trained your child to eliminate into diapers for 3 + years - you have it much harder to re-train her.

Personally, I believe that it may even cause some unknown psychological damage to kids - to be first trained elimination into diapers and then re-learn at an older age.
What a waste…(pun intended)

You perhaps still could use some tips from how they originally used to train babies.
Just be patient and persistent.

https://www.mamanatural.com/baby-eli...communication/
https://godiaperfree.com/elimination-communication/

Good luck.

Last edited by L00k4ward; 02-20-2023 at 06:33 AM..

Old 02-20-2023, 09:00 AM

11,906 posts, read 8,227,609 times
Thought-provoking references, L00Kforward.

Old 02-20-2023, 12:02 PM

3,871 posts, read 2,065,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Thought-provoking references, L00Kforward.
Personal experience: the kids who can not speak well yet or hardly at all - will “tell” you - make sounds or otherwise indicate when they need to be brought (they can not even walk yet) to the potty - with only occasional wetting themselves if they sleep too soundly; never do #2 in their sleep once “trained”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting