U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 01:01 PM

16,227 posts, read 21,766,326 times

Advertisements

My nephew is gay. I have a GF who is gay, but I honestly don`t know how I would react, if my son told me he was gay. I know that I would not disown him, or turn my back on him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 02:53 PM

2,838 posts, read 8,774,290 times
Of course I do and will love my children no matter what.

I would be very disappointed, though. I won't lie.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:58 PM

12,172 posts, read 14,841,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Great responses! Very positive ones...
I guess the ones who wouldn`t understand it, or know how to respond to their kids about this, doesn`t feel comfortable enough to step forward.
Hell, maybe there ain`t any!
I'm sure the responses wouldn't be so positive if you were to post this question in the Religion Forum.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:03 PM

16,227 posts, read 21,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I'm sure the responses wouldn't be so positive if you were to post this question in the Religion Forum.
LOL.....Want me too so we can see the diffrent responses? (I kid!)

Old 06-01-2008, 06:19 AM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
22,132 posts, read 21,002,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
LOL.....Want me too so we can see the diffrent responses? (I kid!)
Sure... I'd bet the mods would love a world war in the religion forum... I'd be afraid to post a response there as my keyboard would probably be struck by lightening or my laptop would catch fire.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:18 PM

396 posts, read 897,052 times
I have a son, and if one day he told me, I would tell him that I love him, and accept him for who he is, and that I want him to be happy in this life.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:51 PM

31,534 posts, read 17,060,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
See! the OP's question was "what would you do." But you really just want people to agree with you! Its always "how sad" when we dont! If homosexuality, especially among men, was as "natural" as you claim, there would not be 4 billion people in the world! Educate myself? I'll put my education up against yours anyday. At least I'm educated enough to know that men belong with women and that certain sexual activities spread diseases that have NO cures. You coddle them! I wont!
Actually, IMO, your response is one of anger, which you have to admit, did not even allow for honest open communication. Maybe, just maybe your child would accept your honest views on homosexuality even though you cannot accept your child as he or she is. I would say you have already communicated your opinion about gays in your home MANY MANY times.

One way street communication, and sadly many many gay's have already lived through it. Thank you for sharing your honest opinion, but you have lost rank IMO.

No, it's not called coddling, it's called being a grown up and accepting the fact that children grow up and become individuals which all your anger cannot control or change.

Puffing up your chest and trying to measure one's education against another's is simply juvenile.

And let me remind you regarding your knee-jerk "disease-spreading" response, not all gay men engage in anal sex. Sorry, your education did not cover that aspect of gay life. And love cannot be equated into insert TAB A into SLOT B.

Gay life is two human beings who love each other. No disease spread through emotions.

DISMISSED!

Old 06-01-2008, 09:47 PM

27 posts, read 93,918 times
I would first ask him/her did they knew the definition of gay was, and if him/her told me the correct definition, then I would tell him/her that they can be anything they wanted to be as long as they lived a good honest life, and treated others with respect.
If they give me some kind of outbound definition, then I would smile and tell them I love them no matter what.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:17 PM

10,716 posts, read 30,748,909 times
Quote:
Here's one for the other side! If my child were of age, I'd pack their bags and give them their first months rent. It's wrong and unnatural. Youre my child. i will always love you but you cant live that lifestyle and live in my home. Nothing religious about my response by the way. IMO, somethings ARE JUST WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOW, I'm sure your child is thrilled with your conditional suport.

Quote:
See! the OP's question was "what would you do." But you really just want people to agree with you! Its always "how sad" when we dont! If homosexuality, especially among men, was as "natural" as you claim, there would not be 4 billion people in the world! Educate myself? I'll put my education up against yours anyday. At least I'm educated enough to know that men belong with women and that certain sexual activities spread diseases that have NO cures. You coddle them! I wont!
I would think if you are a nurse that you would realize that CERTAIN activities between men and women also spread disease that there is no cure. I learned that way back in high school.

Quote:
Why dont you reread the original question? i simply answered it! No rant here. Having been a nurse in California for almost 30 years and working with THOUSANDS of AIDS patients, I certainly have reasons for my opinion.
Again, I'm kind of taken aback that you SAY your a nurse but you don't seem to understand that AIDS and HIV are things that not only effect the Gay community. IV drug users and people who frequent prostitutes as well as people who have many sexual partners are all effected.

Quote:
Dont we all, as parents, have an obligation to teach our children what WE think is right and wrong? Nowhere in my response did i say that i wouldnt love my child if they were gay. Nowhere in my post did i say that my child didnt have the right to be gay. Isnt it every parents right to allow what THEY deem appropriate into their home?
I think as a parent its my responsibility to raise a loving and compassionate child. Someone that will extend a helping hand to her fellow man (and woman). It is NOT my job to pound into my child MY NARROW ideas. I don't believe your teaching compassion if your teaching hatred for the Gay community.

Quote:
1- i dont HAVE to deal with anything.
2- you are leaving the teaching aspect of parenting out of your post. Parents are supposed to teach their children. Not just say do whatever makes you feel good. Most parenjts i know teach what they think is right and wrong.
Such a reasonable example to set for your child.

Quote:
Heres another genius folks! SHE knows whats best for MY kids! Again! Please show me where I said i would turn my back on my child. i said they couldnt live that lifestyle and live with me. So only YOUR definition of parenting is correct?
The best thing you can do for your child is love them and accept them for who they are rather then pushing your own ideas of what they SHOULD be on them. You will ostracize your child if you can't let them be who they are. No one can live their life for someone else.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:28 AM

31,534 posts, read 17,060,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
That horse has been beaten to death a thousand times over on the religion thread. The same old tired arguments by new posters, tossing scriptures over the fence at each other...

For some odd reason, the topic of homosexuality is really rampant over on the religious forum. At one time, there were like 7 threads going at the same time.

I also noticed from talking to other gays who came out to their parents, the mother is almost always 100% unconditional love and it is usually the father who chooses to stick his head in the sand or flare his nostrils.

I have found most gay men over 60 who were raised in another era, are almost always married (to women-it was a societal norm) and church-goers.

The point is, the gay stereotype is only a fraction of the gay population.

Why would a parent disown their own children, when the children are already being ostracized by friends, peers at school etc?

And to further muddy the waters. I consider myself an alcoholic, although I am clean and sober for 10 years. I am most definitely gay, and have known it since I was age 4, but choose to live a chaste and celibate life for almost 8 years now. Being gay is just one small part of who I am. (Sorry, Private Dan, no STD's here, never had em, never will.)

Maybe someday Private Dan will realize he has gay friends who are not nelly and prancing around in gay pride parades, but are in fact married men with kids of their own and going to church right alongside him. That would blow his mind, er, no pun intended.

And finally, Native Americans have a saying, Do not mistake education for wisdom. Obviously one does not automatically follow the other.

Thank you to all the mom's and dad's who love their children as they are, and most of all for allowing them to come to them with the most intimate of issues in their lives. What a blessing it is to have loving parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or