Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 08:57 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,911,973 times

Advertisements

I would have no problem with it if my child were gay. It makes no difference to me really. I already support gay rights issues, and I would continue to lobby for her rights, hoping that one day she will be able to legally marry her partner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 09:00 AM

1,129 posts, read 2,694,366 times
Amen (Capt Dan). No tomato throwing please!!!! LOL.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:01 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,350,733 times
"As long as I still get grandkid, I'm okay with it!"
No just kidding.

I will support my son regardless of his sexual preferences.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:08 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,006,147 times
Capt. Dan said his/her bit, which sounded to me like "Rant rant rant!"

So much for Rakin's assertion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
PFLAG is becoming less needed due to peoples better understanding and acceptance of the the gay community.
Looks to me like there is still a need.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:12 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,445,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post

So much for Rakin's assertion:Looks to me like there is still a need.
Why dont you reread the original question? i simply answered it! No rant here. Having been a nurse in California for almost 30 years and working with THOUSANDS of AIDS patients, I certainly have reasons for my opinion.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:39 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,006,147 times
I did read the original question, Dan. I also re-read both your responses and to me, they both sounded like rants. Perhaps it was the number of exclamation marks and capitalized words that made your responses seem that way. Or perhaps it was when you suggested an education-level challenge

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion just as I am entitled to mine. You have expressed your opinion regarding how you'd respond if your child told you he was gay and I have expressed mine. The opinions differ. So be it.

By the way, I'm no nurse, but I believe heteros get diseases (including AIDS), too, don't they? Or is it just gay people?

In any event, let's not allow these side-topics turn into a hijack of the TC's original question.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:43 AM

28,896 posts, read 54,019,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post

Hang on. I don't agree with what Capt. Dan said at all. At the same time, I think it is really pointless to post a thread asking for people's honest opinions and then flog them mercilessly if somebody doesn't offer up one that jibes with your own enlightened viewpoint.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:54 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,350,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Hang on. I don't agree with what Capt. Dan said at all. At the same time, I think it is really pointless to post a thread asking for people's honest opinions and then flog them mercilessly if somebody doesn't offer up one that jibes with your own enlightened viewpoint.
exactly.
we won't all agree with each other, but we can't slam them for having their own opinion.
this forum would be a darn boring place if people were afraid to be different.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:21 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,445,807 times
Dont we all, as parents, have an obligation to teach our children what WE think is right and wrong? Nowhere in my response did i say that i wouldnt love my child if they were gay. Nowhere in my post did i say that my child didnt have the right to be gay. Isnt it every parents right to allow what THEY deem appropriate into their home?

Old 05-30-2008, 10:32 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,015,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Here's one for the other side! If my child were of age, I'd pack their bags and give them their first months rent. It's wrong and unnatural. Youre my child. i will always love you but you cant live that lifestyle and live in my home. Nothing religious about my response by the way. IMO, somethings ARE JUST WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK, now think sensibly.

I'm not a parent myself, but looking back at the havoc my siblings and I wreaked on our parents during our teen years, and hearing the outbursts from parents I know ("if my daughter EVER turned up pregnant before getting married, I'd <insert some dire action>"), folks raising kids often blast their mouths before really thinking of the consequences.

So you'd boot your kid out at hearing the news? No matter the circumstances that reaction might cause? What if they, in return, said "I can't help the way I am, I believe G*d made me this way. I love you Mom/Dad but if you can't accept me the way I am: a person who can't change what they are, then we sure aren't going to have a very good relationship from here on out." What would you do then?

*shrug* I never got the parent thing - the desire to have kids. I do know that, in a sensible fashion, you never know how your kids will turn out. They may disappoint you in many ways, but as long as their lives turn out to be productive and somewhat happy; that they aren't a malicious drain on society; then you should accept them. Otherwise, why get into the parenting deal in the first place? It's a crap shoot and you have to deal with the hand that's been laid out to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting