U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 01:18 PM

50,691 posts, read 28,836,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Mike,
And your still being sent to your room. It's never ending.
LOL.. well, I wasn't sent to my room too much when I was a kid, so I gotta make up for it now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 09:05 AM

4,349 posts, read 6,429,620 times
I don’t know where to start.
My mother now 86, and a person who I have never heard a cuss word from, was walking in her large wooded rural yard. The grounds are fenced, and the road to the house and property is private. She and my two sisters had heard a chain saw in the area, and wanted to check the location. They took the golf cart and found a somewhat rough looking man cutting down her oak trees. She informed him they were hers and on private property. He responded by calling her a M F Bit____ , and told her to kiss his As_. She never missed a step. She informed him “if that part of his anatomy was as dirty as his mouth than she would have to pass on the invitation”. My two sisters stood in shock as she calls the police to have him arrested. I hope I am that fast when I hit my 80’s.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:57 AM

5,988 posts, read 9,867,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Both of my parents were the serious type, I don't remember too many amuzing things they did that are worth mentioning.

Speaking of being strict, I remember I got sent to my room a couple of times when I was a kid, one time, and you'll probably get a kick out of this Livewire, I stuck a knife inside an electrical outlet.. I remember the end of the knife was gone, luckily, it had a wooden handle. Sooo.. my father sent me to my room.

The other time was when I was 9 years old in 1966, I damaged the front bumper of our neighbor's 1963 Chrysler Imperial, when I was with their kid playing in their driveway. I forgot what I used, but I beat the bumper with it a few times, and put a few dents in the bumper. I know the neighbor wasn't too happy, neither was my dad, so.. I remember getting sent to my room, and I recall getting grounded for a period of time.

That was stupid, and I kept wondering why I did that. Needless to say, I never did such a thing again.

I see a pattern developing.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:26 PM

13,137 posts, read 21,146,700 times
I have three older brothers and when I was too young to remember, two of my oldest brothers were "experimenting" with the hippie lettuce.

My parents were concerned about this and decided to sneak into their room one day and grab a sample of the stuff to try to find out how bad it was.

Well my mom and dad went out into the desert, somewhere secluded and perhaps safe to try this stuff. They grabbed about two joints and proceeded to smoke away. After they were about done, my dad turned to my mom and said, "This stuff is worthless. Let's just head home." So they did. About 20 minutes later, they were stopped at a red light as they were making their way back to The Valley. I guess my mom turned to my dad and said, "Dear, we've been stopped at this light for about 5 hours now!"

Old 06-12-2008, 12:04 AM

415 posts, read 711,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
As we know, the Japanese are very strict with their kids. So...my mom ruled with an 'iron fist' (per say, of course). But my dad never punished us. Of course, I was a perfect angel growing up...
Being Japanese as well...I think we might have had the same 'Iron fist' mother..lol

I was the perfect Angel also .....One summer when I was around 8yrs old....it was 103 degrees outside and our air conditioner had went out...Inside it was unbearable....my little-bitty Mom attempted to disipline me before my father came home by tying my wrists and ankles to the bed post, sitting on me and spanking me....we both ended up exhausted from the heat and laughing so hard at each other as she cursed me in Japanese since she knew that she could never 'catch' me....the purpose was dismissed and It was a lesson Iv'e never forgotten from her strict culture and still laugh about it today.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:53 AM

4,281 posts, read 9,196,781 times
I don't really remember too many funnies growing up although my Mum's reaction to a horse in the kitchen, goat chasing her down the street and eggs blowing up on the stove was priceless.

My old nextdoor neighbor (who was like a Grandmother to me) came out with some corkers. A day at the beach had us in stitches. We put a big jelly fish into a bucket and hauled it up the beach to show everyone. The bucket was pretty small so the jelly fish was hanging over the edges.

"Oooo" Grandma says, "Look at its testicles"

Old 06-12-2008, 07:31 AM

4,739 posts, read 7,338,351 times
I remember my Mom making stew and throwing raw Bisquick mix in it and calling it dumplings. It would instantly glue your mouth shut if you took too big of a bite. Good thing we could still make the mmmm sound when Dad stared daggers at us.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,981 times
mostly everyone i meet has more feedom thatn i do, and i am only a teenager. My parents only let me go to the movies with friends 3 times a year or less. I am also NEVER aloud to go to my friends house and their not aloud to come to mine. Iv'e never had a sleep over either. Also, i only get to hang out with friends about once a month. I used to be able to deal with this pretty well, but now i feel like im going to go insane if i have to stay cooped up in my house any longer than i do. I have also been feeling like i am depressed or somethin or i have anger issues now when my parents aren't looking, if anyone can give me advice or help, id appreciate it.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canttakeanymore View Post
mostly everyone i meet has more feedom thatn i do, and i am only a teenager. My parents only let me go to the movies with friends 3 times a year or less. I am also NEVER aloud to go to my friends house and their not aloud to come to mine. Iv'e never had a sleep over either. Also, i only get to hang out with friends about once a month. I used to be able to deal with this pretty well, but now i feel like im going to go insane if i have to stay cooped up in my house any longer than i do. I have also been feeling like i am depressed or somethin or i have anger issues now when my parents aren't looking, if anyone can give me advice or help, id appreciate it.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:39 PM

3,432 posts, read 3,192,693 times
My oldest brother (there's 10 years between us) was chasing me around the house. As he was chasing me he jumped up and cracked his head open on the archway that went form the dining room to the living room. There was blood running down his face.
My mom grabbed a towel and wrapped it around his head.
The whole family went to bring him to the ER. As my brother was walking outside he saw my Dad outside (he passed away 22 years ago). My brother told my Dad what happened and my Dad said
"Good. Next time you learn" and he went back to doing what he was doing!!!!
My brother needed stitches. On the way back home my mom said: "What happened to the towel." My brother said"I let them throw it out it was full of blood. My mom replied "That was my best towel!!!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or