U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-08-2008, 10:25 PM
 
Location: In a delirium
2,588 posts, read 4,850,315 times
Reputation: 1374

Advertisements

The spankings didn't work on me. I felt humiliated and was forever resentful. It was probably more effective with my brothers, who are made of tougher stuff. All you had to do was glower at me and I thought you hated me. My parents never figured that one out. So, I'm not a fan of spankings, but my husband is. He maintains that was all that would work for him. We still haven't come to a full agreement on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2008, 11:04 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
631 posts, read 2,104,535 times
Reputation: 325
I got the spankings (called licks when I was in school) with the plexiglass paddle with holes in it. The holes were so the air could pass thru for a harder hit we were told.
Every damn morning I had to report to the boys dressing room for my licks by no other than the gym teacher!
I finally asked my mom to write a note to the school to tell them they could not spank me anymore. She did and I was a terror on wheels after that.
She should not have done that. I deserved them.

Mother or father never spanked me but grandma did once. I can tell you I sure respected grandma big time after that. I never gave grandma any crap after that spanking with the hairbrush. She did warn me then had to make a believer out of me.
I believed! I think I was more stunned I got spanked than the hurt of it.

I spanked my kids but seldom. I can't remember when I've ever spanked my son last. He's a great kid. The last time I spanked my daughter she was a teen. She laughed in my face. I've never spanked her since. I think she was stoned and didn't feel a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2008, 11:08 PM
 
Location: Here... for now
1,747 posts, read 2,618,392 times
Reputation: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperk View Post
...I deserved them...
No one deserves to be hit. That makes me so sad that you'd think you deserved to be hit .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2008, 11:23 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
631 posts, read 2,104,535 times
Reputation: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
No one deserves to be hit. That makes me so sad that you'd think you deserved to be hit .
It was a spanking. Can't say it ruined my life and I don't think of it. Really. It was the times and an accepted practice then.

For those against spankings, I would really like to see more kids spanked in school. I worked in the schools and thier hands are tied. The pain in the butt kids take all the time away from the kids who are listening and trying to learn. You would not believe the stuff in a middle school! Kids acting out like 2 year olds, even trying to stick stuff in electrical outlets! It can be a zoo! That's accepted practice now. Let the kids run wild.
They need a spanking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2008, 05:21 AM
Status: "Finally Done With C-D BYE BYE" (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,947 posts, read 21,467,425 times
Reputation: 15430
I was told by a principal that the reason for the holes in the paddles was so they made a whistling sound when swung and that allowed them to not hit as hard since the anticipation created by the noise was just as effective as the hit itself.
As for deserving to be spanked, I've deserved it more than once! My stepfather would use spanking from time to time, not out of anger but as a last resort when I ignored his warnings. My father on the other hand would yell and scream and threaten but didn't spank. I respected my stepfather a heck of a lot more and knew to listen to him when I got the "look".
Kids respond differently, some listen and some don't, for the ones that don't sometimes you need to get to the seat of the problem.
I've seen parents who try the pacafist track only to see the kids beat on the parents. IMO this would have not happened had the kids respected the parents authority and maybe been just a bit afraid of what would happen.
Kids don't just pop out respecting you, I fully believe fear breeds respect and it is different from child to child as to how you get that respect. Some you can use non-corporal punishment means and some you can't, our job as parents is to find what button that has to be pushed to get the needed response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2008, 05:38 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
10,716 posts, read 31,026,539 times
Reputation: 6654
I had other issues but when I was spanked or as my Father was fond of doing, he would cut a switch and switch my legs, it made me fear and mistrust my parents. It didnt have the effect they desired, it just caused permanent damage to our relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2008, 05:47 AM
 
Location: Scranton
2,937 posts, read 2,909,719 times
Reputation: 570
I can't believe that in this day and age, people still hit their children. I can't believe anyone could hit their own child. It really takes a tough person to hit a child....

Should there be discipline and consequences for misbehavior? Yes. Boundaries and consistency is the key. Physical punishment is unneccesary, archaic, and cruel. Personally, I'd like a few rounds in the ring with someone who hits children! Pick on someone your own size!

My mother used to hit me all the time as a kid....it didn't work for anything other than to make me disown my mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2008, 05:51 AM
 
Location: Scranton
2,937 posts, read 2,909,719 times
Reputation: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperk View Post
It was a spanking. Can't say it ruined my life and I don't think of it. Really. It was the times and an accepted practice then.

For those against spankings, I would really like to see more kids spanked in school. I worked in the schools and thier hands are tied. The pain in the butt kids take all the time away from the kids who are listening and trying to learn. You would not believe the stuff in a middle school! Kids acting out like 2 year olds, even trying to stick stuff in electrical outlets! It can be a zoo! That's accepted practice now. Let the kids run wild.
They need a spanking!
If any teacher ever hit my kid, that teacher would be getting quite the "spanking" from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2008, 06:03 AM
 
Location: Scranton
2,937 posts, read 2,909,719 times
Reputation: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I had other issues but when I was spanked or as my Father was fond of doing, he would cut a switch and switch my legs, it made me fear and mistrust my parents. It didnt have the effect they desired, it just caused permanent damage to our relationship.

I agree 100%. I never respected my mother...only feared her....its no wonder I have no contact with her anymore. My father, on the other hand, never laid a hand on me, and we're still close to this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2008, 06:42 AM
Status: "Finally Done With C-D BYE BYE" (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,947 posts, read 21,467,425 times
Reputation: 15430
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
I can't believe that in this day and age, people still hit their children. I can't believe anyone could hit their own child. It really takes a tough person to hit a child....

Should there be discipline and consequences for misbehavior? Yes. Boundaries and consistency is the key. Physical punishment is unneccesary, archaic, and cruel. Personally, I'd like a few rounds in the ring with someone who hits children! Pick on someone your own size!

My mother used to hit me all the time as a kid....it didn't work for anything other than to make me disown my mother.
So if physical punishment is so archaic and cruel then how do you justify "a few rounds in the ring" with someone who spanks their kid? How do you justify "spanking" a teacher?
Sounds a little contradictory to me...
BTW, just to be clear here, I'd get a couple of swats on the rear by a hand not a beating with a stick or anything like that. No lasting damage, a red warm rearend for a bit maybe but it got the point across.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top