Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 06:52 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So if physical punishment is so archaic and cruel then how do you justify "a few rounds in the ring" with someone who spanks their kid? How do you justify "spanking" a teacher?
Big difference: an adult vs. an adult, and an adult vs. a kid. Some people do deserve a good smack, people who hit children are among them. Takes a real tough guy to hit a child...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 06:55 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
Agreed with many of these, spanking is a watered down word for hitting. It is a bad lesson in life to teach, if someone does something wrong or upsets you, to hit them physically instead of sitting down and discussing it with them.

I am not someone that can be beat into submission, as that is in essence the goal of "spanking". Hit me and I'll hit you back. Until I become wiser and I just leave.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:01 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
I agree 100%. I never respected my mother...only feared her....its no wonder I have no contact with her anymore. My father, on the other hand, never laid a hand on me, and we're still close to this day.
Both of my parents hit me, one time as a teenager my Father doubled up his fists and hit me repeatedly in the face. Afterward I told both my parents if they ever touched me in that way again, I would report it to the police AND make sure the entire town knew of it as well which in the little nosey town we lived in was probably MORE of a concern then the police knowing about it. My family, not just my parents were bullies. I learned that showing fear fanned the flames of their anger, I learned to act like I didn't care, I even dared them on occasion to hit me since thats where they were headed. This usually stopped them in their tracks.

I learned how to sense when these kind of confrontations were coming up, I learned to react with apathy to them because if they smelled the fear, they were MORE likely to hit me. My brother and sister (who were significantly older then myself) joined the act as well, my parents said nothing.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:18 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeleenieWeenie View Post
Hey, I come from the 50s when a kid got "beat with the ironing cord"...which didn't work, so why did a parent continue the corporal punishment? If the kid continued, isn't it time to try a new punishment?

The teachers in those days were allowed to paddle, the woodshop teacher took pride in making the longest, thickest paddle in the school. I didn't like that girls were paddled by male teachers on the rump. NOT on the hands, or leg but on the buttocks! these teachers even bragged about "how the paddle" was designed and cut, with drilled holes in them to 'suck the meat thru' when on the upswing to get better speed! WTF?

This was NOT in a rural small town, it was in Michigan, in Pontiac & Detroit areas.
Anybody else get paddled, and when did they stop this practice?
In my day (Mid 80's- Early 90's) if you stepped out of line you got a trip to the hall where you got your tail smacked with a board! And believe me....it worked like a charm. Kids were deathly affraid of it. They'd straighten up if the teacher said, "Would you like to take a trip out to the hall?"

There were rumors among the kids that the Principal had an ELECTRIC PADDLE! Of course that was nonsense but when you're in elementary school you're a little more gullable. But it made kids fear the principal's office.

I noticed this practice starting to taper off begining when I was in middle school...about 1990 or so. Coincidentally I saw worse behavior in general starting then.

I find it funny that you say it didn't work. I think it worked like a blooming charm!

Old 06-09-2008, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,992 times
Default spanking

Did you know that teachers/administrators in Louisiana are allowed by law to "paddle kids" in school?

Old 06-09-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Both of my parents hit me, one time as a teenager my Father doubled up his fists and hit me repeatedly in the face. Afterward I told both my parents if they ever touched me in that way again, I would report it to the police AND make sure the entire town knew of it as well which in the little nosey town we lived in was probably MORE of a concern then the police knowing about it. My family, not just my parents were bullies. I learned that showing fear fanned the flames of their anger, I learned to act like I didn't care, I even dared them on occasion to hit me since thats where they were headed. This usually stopped them in their tracks.

I learned how to sense when these kind of confrontations were coming up, I learned to react with apathy to them because if they smelled the fear, they were MORE likely to hit me. My brother and sister (who were significantly older then myself) joined the act as well, my parents said nothing.
I just get sad (as well as angry) when I read stories like this. I was lucky in that my parents divorced when I was 4, and by 10, I got to move in with my father.

I'll never understand people who think its a good thing to hit children. The types of people that hit kids are only interested in keeping them in submission, not in them growing up to be healthy, happy, well-adjusted people. But more often than not, these child-beaters are extreme right fundamentalist "Christians" hiding behind a few scattered old testament Bible verses as their justification for hitting kids.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhollysteven View Post
Did you know that teachers/administrators in Louisiana are allowed by law to "paddle kids" in school?

Yet another reason I'm glad I live north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:30 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
I just get sad (as well as angry) when I read stories like this. I was lucky in that my parents divorced when I was 4, and by 10, I got to move in with my father.

I'll never understand people who think its a good thing to hit children. The types of people that hit kids are only interested in keeping them in submission, not in them growing up to be healthy, happy, well-adjusted people. But more often than not, these child-beaters are extreme right fundamentalist "Christians" hiding behind a few scattered old testament Bible verses as their justification for hitting kids.
My Father was a retired minister and what I would consider an extreme right christian.
The physical abuse was an attempt at controlling and beating me down to the ground so they could build me in their image. It didn't work, it just made me hate them. It might have worked with some but it just made me MORE rebellious.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:32 AM

26 posts, read 87,152 times
You all know that there is a difference between spanking and beating. I did spank my children when they were younger, but I must admit that I can count on one hand the times that it was done, and yes I was spanked as a child. I never would allow my children to be spanked with anything other than a hand, no belt. As far as paddling in school, it made a difference in my life. I think they stopped this around my area about 7-10 years ago

Old 06-09-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
In my day (Mid 80's- Early 90's) if you stepped out of line you got a trip to the hall where you got your tail smacked with a board! And believe me....it worked like a charm. Kids were deathly affraid of it. They'd straighten up if the teacher said, "Would you like to take a trip out to the hall?"

There were rumors among the kids that the Principal had an ELECTRIC PADDLE! Of course that was nonsense but when you're in elementary school you're a little more gullable. But it made kids fear the principal's office.

I noticed this practice starting to taper off begining when I was in middle school...about 1990 or so. Coincidentally I saw worse behavior in general starting then.

I find it funny that you say it didn't work. I think it worked like a blooming charm!
There was no hitting in school when I was in school (graduated from HS in the early 90's), and I never got into any serious trouble. A few detentions here and there, mostly for being late to school, that's about it.

I am sick of people who support hitting kids saying that problems with today's kids are because they aren't hit. NO....my opinion of why there are a lot of angry troubled kids is the breakdown of the family: there are more broken homes than ever before, also, more and more kids are left alone while both parents work, or are raised by daycare, so there's less parental involvement in kids' lives than ever before....some of my theories on why there are troubled kids out there. But there were troubled kids in past generations, it just wasn't publicized like it is today....

Last edited by FightinPhils; 06-09-2008 at 07:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting