U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 07:01 PM

2,568 posts, read 5,811,141 times

Advertisements

I am moving from a 4 bedroom to a 3 bedroom house. Currently my kids each have their own room. My dd is 3yo and my ds is 7 mo. He just started to sleep through the night. My 3yo now wants to sleep with the light so maybe a little company will make her feel better. As a child I always shared a room since we were 4 kids in my room. I remember chatting with my sisters after light out. I would like to hear your opinions on the subject. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 07:20 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,728,220 times
I think it would work fine for now. Maybe they could use the other bedroom for a playroom. When she's school age, she might want to be separate from brother and you could just move rooms then.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:08 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,177,800 times
my brother and i shared a bedroom until i was 12 and he was 8 (i am female)
we then moved to a bigger home with an extra bedroom. at first he would come to my room, and i welcomed the company. but we got used to it. i think sleeping in the same room kept us closer while we were younger--it was nice

Old 06-10-2008, 09:13 PM

896 posts, read 3,855,122 times
My two oldest girls share a room and my two youngest girls have their own rooms. My oldest was always scared by herself so I threw my 2nd daughter in with her at 18 months and they've done great. When we moved into our current MUCH smaller house, we kept the same room assignments. It's been tough this year because the room is much smaller. Their beds are in an L shape in order to fit in the room. My oldest has been telling me that she doesn't want to share anymore (#2 breathes too loudly, #2 sucks her thumb too loud; #2 wakes her up in the morning) so we told her that when we move next month, we'll put her in her own room and put #2 and #3 together. Only problem is that #2 and #3 don't get along (no one gets along with #3 and I'm not ready to torture my baby with #3). In the end, the girls are moving into the "bonus" room [it's a three bedroom with a bonus family room over the garage] and it's the size of the three-car garage below. I'm hoping the size of the room will alleviate the complaining.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:50 AM

171 posts, read 729,065 times
My boys share a room. They're 10 and 5. Sometimes the older one asks for his own room (we're in a 3 bedroom, but the 3rd room is very small, so we use it as a play room/study). I'm gonna try to keep them together as long as possible because it brings them closer. If they had separate rooms, the older one would simply lock the younger one out; this way they're forced into contact with each other.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:59 AM

2,464 posts, read 5,660,818 times
My girls share a room (they are both under the age of 5) even though we have a 4 bedroom house. I will keep them together until one (or both) ask to have their own room. I think they sleep better when they are not alone but there will come a point when they'll want their own space.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:11 AM

2,489 posts, read 6,424,280 times
I have three boys ages 12, 11 and 3. The two older boys always shared a room when they were smaller. As they grew older when ended up having to separate them as one would always pester the other and they would not go to sleep til after midnight, lots of fighting, playing around etc... Right now we are in a three bedroom, the oldest has his own room and the middle son is in with the youngest. It actually works out well because the youngest worships his middle brother so he feels special sharing with him. Eventually though we are going to have to get a bigger house so they all have their own room. For now though it is working.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:27 AM

3,855 posts, read 11,407,155 times
I'm kinda wondering similar things. I'm moving from a 4 bdrm to a 3 bdrm. I've got a 10yr old girl, 4 yr old girl, and a 22mo old son. We are going to finish the basement eventually so there will be 2 more bedrooms (5 total) but until then we're going to have to have two of them bunking together. The 10 yr old would rather be with the 4yr old. And that would work the best I think because they are both girls. My son is a little hellian so it would maybe be better to isolate him.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:05 PM

603 posts, read 2,042,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I am moving from a 4 bedroom to a 3 bedroom house. Currently my kids each have their own room. My dd is 3yo and my ds is 7 mo. He just started to sleep through the night. My 3yo now wants to sleep with the light so maybe a little company will make her feel better. As a child I always shared a room since we were 4 kids in my room. I remember chatting with my sisters after light out. I would like to hear your opinions on the subject. TIA
Our son just turned 5 years and our daughter just turned 3 years. They have been sharing a room for the past 9 months and it works great. I really wished we had moved them together sooner. They sleep so much better (before, they were constantly coming into our bed, or our son would run into our daughter's room when we were trying to get her to sleep). They keep each other company and the bedtime routine is much smoother. I would say go for it. It will be great for everyone.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:32 PM

2,745 posts, read 12,802,384 times
My sons shared a room for a long time. They are now 10 and 16 and have separate rooms but up until they were 11 and 6 they shared a room. They fought like CRAZY but they also played together all the time too.

Now, the 16 year old will lock his brother out from time to time.. but not always. They still have a brotherly bond and the eldest will allow the youngest in there most days.

We also have a 5 year old girl and to make anyone share with her would be torture!

I think sharing a room is good for them up to a certain age. My eldest didn't start really complaining until he got closer to teen years. I have a friend whose kids are similarly spaced to mine but the eldest is a girl. They have shared a room by choice for years... even when there was plenty of space in the house... so their mom always turned the extra room into a game/playroom. They were still sharing when the girl was 14, and yeah, they'd fight, but not enough to want their own rooms. I don't' think they separated until the oldest was 15 or so.

I grew up with my own room from the get-go...my parents had a 3 bedroom house and I only have 1 sibling who is nine years older. I don't know if this is why, but I am funny about sharing my space. You can ask my partner. I treat the bedroom as 'mine' and want it decorated my way and such. I am aware of this character flaw so I try real hard to be fair but I still have a tendency to not want to share the room... maybe it's because I had my own room all my life? I always joke that I want my "own room" again... and if our house was big enough I'd probably have an "office" or something that was just for me.

Sharing is a good thing I think. If you watch the decorating shows there are often episodes on dividing a space to give siblings some privacy. I want to also say that loft beds are great for small spaces, to give kids play room (if you don't know a loft bed is like a bunk bed with no bottom bunk... just open space underneath)... and we've used curtains down the middle of the room too, to give each child a sense of "mine" vs "his".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting