Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 12:47 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,868,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
LAFan, I only wish there were more of the younger generations like you. The world doesn't need more people, no matter how handsome/intelligent/awesome you are. Only in the past few years have I discovered a growing generation of people in my age group (20s/30s) who have no desire to procreate. Times are a-changin'...

I must be one of those, because when I hear some woman pride herself over having born and raised seven children, it makes my skin crawl. I don't admire it, I abhor it.

If no one's mentioned it, check out vhemt.org
Thanks. Even though I'm 19, I separate myself from the younger generation. I was pretty much a reject to the youths of civilization anyway. These days, I've seen kids doing drugs, in gangs, having unprotected sex, all that.

My grandmother said alot of young people are dying than old people these days, mostly from a violent crime such as gang violence.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:04 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
It was actually different users who brought up this topic.
I'm sorry my question made you angry. I apologize for my mistake of thinking it was you that brought up the topic but I DO remember you discussing this & getting quite riled up about people trying to "change" your mind about making this decision at age 19. Again, good for you to come to this conclusion now.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:40 AM

631 posts, read 2,444,963 times
My brother does not have kids and it's probably for the best as he still acts and thinks like one and he's 46. I did always want to be an aunt, but guess that won't happen. But not bad enough to wish a kid on my brother.

My co worker never had kids and she does not feel like she's missing out.

When my daughter gives me major grief I envy those w/o kids.

A friend of mine is over 50 and never had kids. I never looked at her any differently.

An old best friend of mine never had nor wanted kids. She gives her neices
and nephews all her love and enjoys them.

It's a personal decision and it does not bother me one bit if someone does not want kids.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:56 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,466,631 times
Quote:
Now being childfree, I deal with and face harassment from people who are parents or future parents whenever I bring up this subject. The only reason I bring this up is when I ask if they know any girls my age who are 100% childfree. I get called selfish, immature, too young. People always say I'll change my mind later on. My dad was kinda like that when I was a teenager because he wanted grandchildren.

Do you have a problem with people who don't want children? If your kids made the decision at a young age that they were never going wanted kids in their life, would you criticize them just for that?
No. I don't care about the lifestyle of the childfree. I don't care about what they think of my lifestyle either.

If one (or both) of my children came to me and told me they didn't want kids... well, I'd be disappointed but ultimately that's their life to lead.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:26 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Quote:
I must be one of those, because when I hear some woman pride herself over having born and raised seven children, it makes my skin crawl. I don't admire it, I abhor it.
So, in your situation, you are actually having problems with people who have multiple children???

Old 06-13-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Now being childfree, I deal with and face harassment from people who are parents or future parents whenever I bring up this subject. The only reason I bring this up is when I ask if they know any girls my age who are 100% childfree. I get called selfish, immature, too young. People always say I'll change my mind later on. My dad was kinda like that when I was a teenager because he wanted grandchildren.

Do you have a problem with people who don't want children? If your kids made the decision at a young age that they were never going wanted kids in their life, would you criticize them just for that?
I don't have a problem/issues with anyone who doesn't want to have children. Not at all. It is such a commitment, it is such hard work, it definitely NOT for everyone and not everyone enjoyes fatherhood/motherhood. Some people actually make for really violent parents.

However, I will be completely honest with you. When a person becomes a parent, he/she reaches a whole new level of personal growth that a childfree person will never know or understand or capable of reaching. Not knowing of how to love someone more then you love yourself is a big loss. I don't think there is anything like a parental love, it is the strongest love you can ever experience and although I think having or not having children is such a personal decision that NO-ONE should dare to judge you for it, I can't help but feeling slightly remorseful.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:31 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,868,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I don't have a problem/issues with anyone who doesn't want to have children. Not at all. It is such a commitment, it is such hard work, it definitely NOT for everyone and not everyone enjoyes fatherhood/motherhood. Some people actually make for really violent parents.

However, I will be completely honest with you. When a person becomes a parent, he/she reaches a whole new level of personal growth that a childfree person will never know or understand or capable of reaching. Not knowing of how to love someone more then you love yourself is a big loss. I don't think there is anything like a parental love, it is the strongest love you can ever experience and although I think having or not having children is such a personal decision that NO-ONE should dare to judge you for it, I can't help but feeling slightly remorseful.
So you're saying that a childfree person don't know anything and that having kids will make that person's life complete.?

Old 06-13-2008, 12:09 PM

9 posts, read 31,895 times
i dont understand y people wouldnt want kids i love kids i babysit all the time

Old 06-13-2008, 12:10 PM

9 posts, read 31,895 times
i want 4 kids

Old 06-13-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
So you're saying that a childfree person don't know anything and that having kids will make that person's life complete.?
That is absolutely not what I'm saying. One wise momma said that it does add a whole other dimension to a person.
A person who doesn't have children absolutely can have a complete and fullfilling life FOR THIS PERSON.
What I'm saying is that person will never know what it's like to love his own child, to take care of someone completely and quite honestly it's a very humbling, growing, learning experience to be a parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting