U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-21-2008, 08:15 PM

39 posts, read 95,537 times

Advertisements

I have a question for someone in the know! We recently moved to South Carolina from NY. We have a 17 year old son (whom we adopted when he was 16) who already has two children. He quit school and ran away before we moved, and is threatening to do so again. He wants to go stay with a family back in NY who contributes to the delinquency of minors as a way of life!

I have all but given up on trying to get him to NOT go, because he will run away again when it suits him. My question is, what liability will we have if he does, now that we are residents of South Carolina? In NY, we are responsible for him until he is 21. He is leaving home voluntarily, even against our wishes. I have heard that it is 18 in South Carolina, but does that hold true if he goes to another state?

Is it possible to emancipate him? If so, would NY honor it? He absolutely cannot support himself, and would be living with another family. ANY help would be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 12:15 AM

3,191 posts, read 5,700,554 times
maybe this will help?
Emancipation of Minors - All US States

So sorry for your situation....bless you for adopting him and at least trying to help. It might be best to look into emancipation. I guess I think of it an another form of 'tough love'. You need to do what you feel is best for your sanity and that of your family.
Maybe part of that saying is true....if you love someone, let them go....

Old 06-23-2008, 06:15 AM

Thanks so much!

Old 06-24-2008, 03:36 AM

64 posts, read 135,264 times
Is he trying to run away to see his kids? Or has he abandoned them?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:14 AM

He does see his daughter, but his running away is not based on his children. He wants to be able to have the freedoms of an adult without preparing himself for being an adult. (Dropping out of school, etc.) He started this behavior while we were still in NY and near his children.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:08 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,799,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ava15 View Post
you guys are stupid, why dont you look at this situation thorough his eyes.
Because this is the PARENTING forum ava...not the The Forum For Teenage Complainers To Air Their Gripes. If that is what you are looking for then go to their forum. We discuss adult topics and give The Adults (usually parents) advice on how to deal with their children.
teen forums, teen boards, teen discussion boards, college forums, college student forums, forums for students

LiveWire Teen Forums | Teen Peer Support | Teen Advice | Teen Discussion | Teen Quizzes | Teen Boards

ARG! Teen Network

Teen Forums | Teen Help & Advice

Teen Forums | Teen Advice | Teen Community | TeenPhrase.com

teensforum.com

Old 04-18-2009, 08:43 PM

13,040 posts, read 20,007,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylamb View Post
I have a question for someone in the know! We recently moved to South Carolina from NY. We have a 17 year old son (whom we adopted when he was 16) who already has two children. He quit school and ran away before we moved, and is threatening to do so again. He wants to go stay with a family back in NY who contributes to the delinquency of minors as a way of life!

I have all but given up on trying to get him to NOT go, because he will run away again when it suits him. My question is, what liability will we have if he does, now that we are residents of South Carolina? In NY, we are responsible for him until he is 21. He is leaving home voluntarily, even against our wishes. I have heard that it is 18 in South Carolina, but does that hold true if he goes to another state?

Is it possible to emancipate him? If so, would NY honor it? He absolutely cannot support himself, and would be living with another family. ANY help would be appreciated.
It sounds like he just wants to live in NY and not move to SC? I'm guessing he is going to be a Senior in High School, and you wanted to change schools and communities on him just before his final year?

As a kid who had parents that moved around OFTEN...leaving school systems just before your senior and final year pretty much SUCKS. If this is the case in his situation, I don't blame him one bit for wanting to stay there and graduate with his friends for the final and best year of High School.

Couldn't you have waited one final year for your kid before making a major move like that?

Old 04-18-2009, 09:37 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,799,743 times
We are moving to a different community three weeks before the school year is out. No, we can't wait. Hubby will be driving 90 miles each way if we don't move. We can't afford that. Our daughters are upset..one is in 6th grade and the other is in 10th. Sometimes you just can't help it.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,316 times
hi, im 16 years old and I live in south Carolina. me and my mother don't have the best relationship and she hits me often. is there a way that I can become emancipated if there is someone who is willing to take care of me (which there is)

Old 08-28-2013, 06:01 PM

6,314 posts, read 2,873,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breannnaa View Post
hi, im 16 years old and I live in south Carolina. me and my mother don't have the best relationship and she hits me often. is there a way that I can become emancipated if there is someone who is willing to take care of me (which there is)
No likely no. You would have to be considered a mature minor to be emancipated. You can see if your mother will sign over guardianship to you though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting