U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 06:47 PM

213 posts, read 433,018 times

Advertisements

I've been home for almost 7 years (didn't THAT go by in a flash). I did want to start working part time, although many of those jobs are pretty bad, but applied for a full time one which sounded interesting and actually got it!

What I wanted to know was, how many of you have made the transition and how did it go? My kids are 6 and 4. The older one will be starting first grade and the younger one pre-k. Certainly not babies, although the 4 year old is still MY baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 07:09 PM

3,238 posts, read 7,526,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastinshow View Post
I've been home for almost 7 years (didn't THAT go by in a flash). I did want to start working part time, although many of those jobs are pretty bad, but applied for a full time one which sounded interesting and actually got it!

What I wanted to know was, how many of you have made the transition and how did it go? My kids are 6 and 4. The older one will be starting first grade and the younger one pre-k. Certainly not babies, although the 4 year old is still MY baby.
I was home full time with my kids for 8 years. I then took a part time seasonal job so I was able to be home in the summer. The main problem I had was taking time off for kids being sick, having meetings with teachers, etc. Also, all the school holidays required me taking off as well because there wasn't day care for older kids in my area. At that time my older child was in 2nd grade, and my little one in kindergarten. But it seemed like every week there was either a school holiday or one of them was sick. I don't think I ever put in a full week.

Then I went back to school for two years, which was okay, and then I went to work full time when my oldest was a freshman in high school. In the three years that followed, my daughter gained 40 lbs from hanging out in front of the TV and eating after school and my son got involved with smoking pot after school. I took time under the Family Medical Leave Act to work part time again so I could be home after school. It seemed they needed me more as teens than they did when they were little! Anyway, we moved out of state recently, and now I'm looking for a full time job again. They're now 16 and 18.

However, don't take this as the norm. Many, many people work full time with kids and handle it great. It just didn't work out that way for me.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:14 PM

13,428 posts, read 18,649,667 times
I transitioned from part-time to full time when my kids were 2 and 4. It was easier than I thought. I think I was more worried about the kids then they were! My son actually LOVED his new school and was happy every day I dropped him off. My daughter loved going to school so much, she cried when I picked her up!!

Kids will adjust much easier than you will!!

Old 06-23-2008, 07:25 PM

4,189 posts, read 2,971,893 times
SAHM= full time job

Congrats on your job....come on over to the Work and Employment "How was your day" thread and tell us how your day goes! And yes SAHMs are welcome too It IS a job too I don't care what anyone says. I don't have kids-but I have friends who have kids and work. Don't see how they do it. Tough! Much respect to all the moms out there.

~Push~

Old 06-23-2008, 07:56 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,871,413 times
It was hard for my family and I just quit my Part-time job. My kids are 9-11 years old and when summer came it just wasn't working with me being gone. They were watching way to much tv, I was too tired to spend quality time with them (I worked an early shift) and was exhausted when I got home. I was also falling behind with my house work, got no quality time with my husband and fell behind in our own business (work from home). I'm very fortunate that we are financially able to have me stay home and just work on our own business. My hubby was 100% supportive of me quitting. I am needed more at home than we need the extra money.

I agree that the older the kids get, the more supervision they need! I'm going to look for a job at the kids school so I can be home when they are.

Good luck to you, though. I hope your job turns out to be everything you hope it is! It is nice to get out of the house and have some work friends!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:05 PM

8,240 posts, read 14,253,861 times
Be sure to involve your husband in preparing for school days off, illness, etc. You might want to line up in advance how you're going to share that. You might also find a friend who would swap out school off days. Good luck.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:41 PM

4,541 posts, read 9,030,310 times
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks teens need us around .
I'm lucky in that I work from home part time. So I'm very flexible. I fell into what I do really.
When they are teens, they don't talk when it's convenient for you - but at the oddest times. I'm glad I'm here at those "oddest" times.
I know not everyone can be so lucky. You have to do what works best for you (and your sanity).

Old 06-23-2008, 11:01 PM

617 posts, read 1,804,734 times
I was a SAHM for 20 years before I went back to work. My oldest was still at home, working with his dad, and my baby was 3. I'd still be working if the business hadn't folded.

We did have an adjustment period but it worked out well for a few reasons. First, my mom was my babysitter. I moved my grade-school aged kids to a school a few blocks from the job. My mom would pick up the kids from school and stop by my office so they could see me every day.

Also, I worked for a small company with all men who all had wives who worked. They understood my situation and were very accommodating. When my mom had trouble helping the kids with homework, especially as they got older, she'd leave one with me at my office for the final two hours of my shift. The owners for fine with that, and always made my kids feel welcome.

I've found that salary and opportunity for advancement are not nearly as important as how well a company accommodates your family.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:05 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,051,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastinshow View Post

My kids are 5 and 3 so I will probably be in your shoes next year. I quit because I had trouble balancing work and kids; I was always out because they were sick or now they have school functions. I do not look forward to that again and hope to find a family friendly company or position. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes!

Old 06-24-2008, 02:30 PM

8,668 posts, read 19,143,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
I was home full time with my kids for 8 years. I then took a part time seasonal job so I was able to be home in the summer. The main problem I had was taking time off for kids being sick, having meetings with teachers, etc. Also, all the school holidays required me taking off as well because there wasn't day care for older kids in my area. At that time my older child was in 2nd grade, and my little one in kindergarten. But it seemed like every week there was either a school holiday or one of them was sick. I don't think I ever put in a full week.

Then I went back to school for two years, which was okay, and then I went to work full time when my oldest was a freshman in high school. In the three years that followed, my daughter gained 40 lbs from hanging out in front of the TV and eating after school and my son got involved with smoking pot after school. I took time under the Family Medical Leave Act to work part time again so I could be home after school. It seemed they needed me more as teens than they did when they were little! Anyway, we moved out of state recently, and now I'm looking for a full time job again. They're now 16 and 18.

However, don't take this as the norm. Many, many people work full time with kids and handle it great. It just didn't work out that way for me.
I was also home for eight years. Then I went to work part-time. Then when he was about 10, I went to work full-time. We worked it out, and it was fine, but like Coleen said, I think sometimes the pre-teen and teen-age years may indeed need parents at home even more than the younger ones. I wish I could've continued to stay home, but financially, it was just not feasible. I'm thankful I had the years home with him that I did, though.

Last edited by kaykay; 06-24-2008 at 02:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting