Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 04:33 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolkat View Post

My boyfriend and I are supporting our daughter on our own money. We don't rely on anyone for anything for her.

And who is supporting you, and your boyfriend??

Young lady , you can argue it (internet usage) every which way, but nothing you can say now will matter. You proved a point without realizing it.......imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 04:48 PM

64 posts, read 189,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
And who is supporting you, and your boyfriend??

Young lady , you can argue it (internet usage) every which way, but nothing you can say now will matter. You proved a point without realizing it.......imo.
We are. We live on our own and pay for everything with our own money. We have been since before I got pregnant.

I don't see what using the internet has to do with being pregnant. Surfing the internet =/= having sex.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:21 PM

797 posts, read 2,991,386 times
Quote:
We are. We live on our own and pay for everything with our own money. We have been since before I got pregnant.

I don't see what using the internet has to do with being pregnant. Surfing the internet =/= having sex.
Glad to hear you are taking responsibility for yourself and your baby, but you have only begun the journey and when you are 33 and your baby is 16 and flexing their sexuality muscles, you just might see things a little differently.

The internet is just another tool to assist teens in self destructing, it's not the only tool, just a very powerful one.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:50 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Quote:

My dear, you have a long way to go. Right now your biggest concern is what outfit to dress the baby in for his or her Christmas picture. You are what I call a member of the "mommy club." Wait a few years. 17 is way too young to be a mother. And it's always better to be married before you're a parent. But then at 17 most teens know everything -- I know mine think so, but thank God neither one of them thinks being a parent at 17 is a good idea.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:07 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,895 times
Wow lolkat. So what type of work do you and your 17 yr.old boyfriend do ? So I guess one of you,at least, has the baby on your employee health insurance. That is amazing that you are so young yet can pay for everything...I guess stuff like food, power bills, phone bills, rent, childcare, insurance, car payments...maybe some extras like cable or internet?
Don't you find childcare expensive? That is if you work too. And just curious how you found an apartment that would rent to minors, unless of course you are buying a house? I remember when my daughter was 19, she had a tough time trying to find a rental even at that age, even though she was pulling in a good income...

Hey Marilynspets1, maybe you shouldn't be so worried about your daughter. I mean here is this 17 yr.old doing so well and all, with a baby to boot. wink wink

Old 06-28-2008, 12:54 AM

64 posts, read 189,693 times
crazyma, you really don't need to be so rude.

My boyfriend became emancipated at 16. He is a dog walker and groomer, and makes very good money. I used to work as a waitress until I was 7 months pregnant, and then I quit until she was 2 months old. I then got a job in a day care but stopped working when she was 5 months so I could go to school and we're taking money from my savings to make up for the lost income.

And yes, we pay for our OWN utilities, our own health care, our own insurance, our own rent, our own everything.

I've never claimed to know everything, nor do I think I do. I'm just a mom who is trying to do her best for her kid. Just like, I assume, you all are. But just because I got pregnant younger than a lot of people do, automatically makes me incompetent?

Old 06-28-2008, 01:23 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,415,461 times
Quote:
But just because I got pregnant younger than a lot of people do, automatically makes me incompetent?
Incompetent? No, of course not. But it doesn't really make you stand out as an icon of good judgement and planning either now does it?

Oh, and taking money out of your savings to make up for the lost income. Just where will that extra money come from when the savings are exhausted? Planning to go back to work? School? Maybe a little help from Uncle Sam and the rest of us?

Old 06-28-2008, 01:53 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,415,461 times
Back to the problem of the original poster...........It's too late.

Too late to change the habits, too late to do anything reasonable about it. You can vent and steam, pull plugs and lay down rules but another way will just be found. She'll just find ways to take it underground, out of your sight.

Not the news you wanted to hear but an honest answer. Developing a youngster into a semi-reasonable teenager is an amazingly tough job. My own two sons have turned out fairly well, thanks primarily to their mother whom they live with. My input has been limited but I do follow her course of action since it has worked well. Privileges were earned, whining resulted in privilege loss. Boundaries were set, game time and computer time were earned, allowances not mandatory and so on. These things were started young and maintained as they grew into teens.

Perhaps the blunt version would be....once the parent lets it get out of hand, they have no right to complain about the actions they allowed to freely develop.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:56 AM

39 posts, read 126,880 times
Yes, she is inviting guys over from myspace. I am a stay at home mother so I am always home, but I have had phone calls from many states and even a ring sent to her. The computer is in my bedroom, but these kids get on at their friends houses and at school. Everyone thinks that it is blocked at school, but these kids know the codes to get in. I will be online when she is at school, then I notice that she is online at the same time! I will message her about it and she will actually be in her computer class.!!!

Old 06-28-2008, 06:04 AM

39 posts, read 126,880 times
Her stepdad and I have to be in court on Monday after taking out a restraining order on a boy who says he was 22 on the internet. Turns out he was only 18 but we made a copy of his myspace for court anyway. The police brought her home but stepdad got in trouble anyway for threatening the guy. I live in "Mayberry".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting