U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you say the same things to your kids that your parents said to you?
yes, it's a natural reflex 20 42.55%
no 6 12.77%
sometimes 21 44.68%
other (will leave it in a comment) 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:07 AM

2,838 posts, read 8,772,010 times

Advertisements

I swore I'd never say "because I said so!" to my kids, but after hearing "why? why? why? why?" over and over again, it's become one of my catchphrases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 03:01 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,577,767 times
I say a few things like "Yes, I am the world's meanest mom.' or 'You'll be sad if someone runs over your bike because you left it in the driveway agian.'

But I don't repeat my dad's catch phrases, they are/were uncalled for. I don't ask 'Who is the stupid little Mother F*&$^@ that did this?!' He has many 'fun' catch phrases for all kinds of situations.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:21 PM

560 posts, read 1,952,547 times
"No dessert if you don't finish your dinner. There are, after all, starving children in ________ (insert country, it was China when I was growing up)"

"Do I look like a maid/waitress/chef ??"

" I don't care what so and so's mom says, I'm not their mom!!"

"Turn off those lights, I don't own stock in the electric company"

and along the same lines:

"I am going to charge a quarter for every light you leave on!!"

Probably the one I use the most (I have 3 girls),

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!!!"

Old 06-27-2008, 03:43 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,169,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Feel free to share some of the "catch phrases" you heard all of the time that you have passed on to your own children?
"You can all pound salt"....that my mom would say to us & my dad when we pushed her too far & annoyed her.

My parents use to ask us if we had a nickel for every time we opened up the refrig & just stared to see if there was anything good to eat. I say that one not to my children but my husband

And the infamous "Do I need to turn the car around & go home?" The first time we asked this to our son he said "Yes, b/c I want to watch Toy Story".

Old 06-27-2008, 03:52 PM

3,568 posts, read 7,709,969 times
I've heard almost all of these, and used many of them on my kids. One I've used recently is, "do you want to go live with grandma? Let me tell you what it was like when I was a kid....and trust, me I'm much nicer than grandma is!" Thank goodness gramma lives 12 hours away and that doesn't get back to her. The old woman could still whip my hide! And she'd probably try too!

Old 06-27-2008, 03:54 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,592,903 times
"Do you think I'm made out of money???" I was always tempted to do a quick inspect but realized it might not be the best time to do so .

I'm sad to admit I've also used the tired and true (pun intended ) "Because I said so" on rare occasions. As a kid, I swore I'd never say it, but that blasted sentence just blurts out every now and then. I often try to make it sound original ("Because, uh, that's the way it is") but in my head it still comes out "Because I said so". Sometimes, after you've tried reasoning 100+ times, it's the only phrase that fits the occasion .

Old 06-27-2008, 04:05 PM

2,588 posts, read 4,812,004 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post
"No dessert if you don't finish your dinner. There are, after all, starving children in ________ (insert country, it was China when I was growing up)"
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! That's the worst one ever. My dad would always say that and it was always Africa. Do you find yourself cringing when you say it? God forbid that that ever falls out of my mouth. It just doesn't work. I, like every other kid, would always suggest that my parents send the food to those children. Then I'd get in trouble, but to this day I think it's a logical response. I wasn't hungry; those kids were; they should have gotten the food.

But, I do say "Because I said so" every single day and every single day it does not work.

Last edited by Hoosier; 06-27-2008 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: fixing quote

Old 06-27-2008, 04:06 PM

64 posts, read 171,110 times
The one I really notice myself doing is going "kakas, it's the kakas ewwie stinky kakas" in the high pitched funny voice whenever I change my daughters diaper. My mom did it to me and all my sisters and I just picked it up!

Old 06-27-2008, 11:57 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,649,198 times
This is my first visit to the Parenting Forum, and I must say, I have had a smile on my face throughout this thread. It’s rare to encounter a thread containing 100% enjoyable posts. Thanks for the laughs!

Most of your experiences are similar to mine. So similar, it took several minutes to think of something that hadn’t been mentioned. Then, I thought of what my mom would say when she spanked us (no abuse): “This hurts me more than it hurts you.” As a kid, I would say to myself, “Yeah, sure, it hurts her -- I bet.” I found myself saying that to my son……and really meaning it. It was soooo difficult.

One thing is certain; when I became a mother, I developed a greater appreciation for my parents.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:13 AM

2,972 posts, read 7,282,424 times
Benicar, I'm glad we all are enjoying this thread, there's no manual for parenting but there's also a lot of fun being a child and then raising children that is so often over-looked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
One thing is certain; when I became a mother, I developed a greater appreciation for my parents.
Amen to that! It took me 20 years to tell my mother she was right all along, I honestly didn't mean to make her cry with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or