Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 02:11 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

Last year Barbara Walters spoke with the families of three transgender children who agreed to share their story. Now, one year later, "20/20" has reached out to the families again to learn what's happened since the original "20/20" episode aired.

ABC News: 'God Made a Mistake' ... Transgender Kids

Old 06-27-2008, 02:50 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,917 times
I remember when that first special aired. Very interesting. Have you seen any of the transgender documentaries done on Discovery? I think most of those have been about adults.

Last week I saw a re-airing of A Girl Like Me: The Gwen Araujo Story. It's a Lifetime movie (originally aired in 2006) about the true story of a young "boy" who, like Riley in Barbara Walters' piece, knew in early childhood that he (Eddie) was a she (Gwen). Gwen was murdered as a teenager in 2002 by a few teens who were enraged when they discovered that Gwen was biologically male. Very powerful movie, very well acted.

It was heartbreaking to see the struggles Gwen had to endure, from childhood on, just to be herself. It took so much out of her just to get her family's support. Thank goodness Riley's family is there to help her. So many children don't get any support.

It'll be interesting to see how things have progressed since the first special.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:59 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
I don't know how I feel about this. One of the great loves of my life is going through the process of male to female gender reassignment. I was the first person he came out to (he considers himself a gender***** lesbian and refers to himself as "he" until he starts living as a woman) and have been with him for every step of the way. Transgender issues are one of my great passions.

That said, I don't know how I feel about a 10 year old going through it. Arguably, by 10, most transgendered people sort of *know*. That's how all of those who are somewhere on the continuum that I have personally spoken to were. I certainly think that any minor- especially one so young- should be allowed the privacy to go through a very difficult issue without the pressure of the press.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:25 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
I can't say I understand all of this but I have colleague who went thru this & her world has been transformed on so many levels. I couldn't stand her as a man but after her gender reassignment, things improved (she wasn't so angry anymore). When he was a child he "knew" something wasn' right & always felt a need to "prove" his masculinity. From what I know, he had a very, very difficult childhood.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:38 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,182,553 times
IMHO- I disagree with the whole idea. And God don't make no mistakes. That is how I believe.

Psalms 139:13-16

13. For Thou didst form my inward parts; Thou didst weave me in my mother's womb. 14. I will give thanks to Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Thy works, And my soul knows it very well.
15. My frame was not hidden from Thee, When I was made in secret, [And] skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth.
16. Thine eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Thy book they were all written, The days that were ordained [for me], When as yet there was not one of them.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:40 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Last year Barbara Walters spoke with the families of three transgender children who agreed to share their story. Now, one year later, "20/20" has reached out to the families again to learn what's happened since the original "20/20" episode aired.

ABC News: 'God Made a Mistake' ... Transgender Kids
wow this story is amazing. i dont know what my reaction would be, and i am sure this family has gone and will continue to go through a lot. but the thing that struck me is that Riley just knew and was vocal about it at such an early age.
she wasnt "confused", she wasnt afraid to hide her feelings. she was young enough to be completely honest and just KNOW how she felt. maybe having another girl in the house helped to give an example to what she really wanted.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:37 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
I'm very happy that Riley's parents listened to their daughter. Too often, parents don't listen to their children and end up truly scarring them for the rest of their life.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:58 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
For someone so young to hate his body enough to almost take a pair of nail clippers to it, and then later be so revulsed by just the mere sight of his sex organ tells me this child knew it was all wrong from the beginning. While I don't support gender reassignment on a whim, the events strongly suggest that the child is extremely uncomfortable with his body and understands that his future physical changes does not align with his mental state of mind. I am glad that he got what he felt was right all along. It was a well thought out process, and his family deliberated this at length. I have to say she turned out to be a very beautiful young girl. I am happy for her.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:41 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
IMHO- I disagree with the whole idea. And God don't make no mistakes. That is how I believe.

Psalms 139:13-16

13. For Thou didst form my inward parts; Thou didst weave me in my mother's womb. 14. I will give thanks to Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Thy works, And my soul knows it very well.
15. My frame was not hidden from Thee, When I was made in secret, [And] skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth.
16. Thine eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Thy book they were all written, The days that were ordained [for me], When as yet there was not one of them.
God created transgendered children too...think of the children with Klinefelders (phenotypically transgendered) or Turners syndromes (phenotypically female). Gotta think of the children out there who are not XY (boy) or XX (girl), but are XXY (Klinefelders), XO (Turners), or XYY.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,603 times
i am a 12 year old girl stucked in a boys body and im really upset about that and theres no point asking parents if i can change gender cause they will say no so i think i will use real-wishes.com hope so it will help ;]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting