Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 12:08 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times

Advertisements

Yep my son and one of my daughters were forever getting the head lice and yes I was throwing stuff away too and then the dr told me that some kids are lice resistant and therefore need a rx shampoo and believe me when i said I took that rx shampoo and used it religiously and we never had lice again LOL .. I threw away a couch ,their mattresses , some area rugs , and all my venetian blinds since his nurse told me that the lice can hang out there , taking no chances I went and bought a new to me couch at the second hand store , new mattresses , some new area rugs and def new blinds ... I was told to do this to be sure they are gone and it did work . My sons teacher also printed up a handout to give to parents with some of my reccomendations . I was jumping for joy when i realized they were finally gone .. this was many years ago and I cant imagine it has gotten any easier to get rid of them .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 12:17 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
hum. Its been a few years but in our case, my daughter had lice and we used the over the counter RID product as prescribed but they came back so the next time i did some research and simply coated my daughters hair in baby oil at night in a night cap before bed... washed it out the next morning. I did this every night for 2 weeks. VIOLA.. lice was gone.. never to return.. knock on wood.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:32 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBean View Post
I am devestated. We found it sunday night and since we have been cleaning all day long and picking through her hair, applying all kinds of oils. I just keep picking out eggs....Doctor seems to think she may have picked it up during the last week of school. I am such a clean freak, so this REALLY bother's me.

My husband went through my hair last night and found 5 eggs...and I went through my second daughters hair and found 4 eggs.

This is the most horrible thing I have had to encounter since starting parenthood.........until this is over, I can't hold my daughter like I am used to...it is just terrible.......I have cried plenty.

I feel like it is never ending and it has only been 3 days......
JerseyBean....there really is NOTHING to be devastated about, it's an easy painless fix, though I must admit, the first time my children came home from school with it I was quite shocked, and mortified myself....My mom grew up in Belgium during the second world war, where she said pretty well everyone in school had lice (soap was a luxury)....she said they would spend hours each day combing out the nits to keep it under control....A great big cheap bottle of conditioner dumped over the head (the whole thing while sitting in the tub) makes it so slimy and slippery, the rascals can't hang on, and the nits slide off really well....and it's way better than some of the toxic treatments offered out there...No need to go overboard and bleach the whole house or anything, just wash the pillowcases and maybe the sheets....check for nits in a couple of days....go to go...take care

Old 10-10-2012, 11:47 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
To whomever said that old used sofas have bed bugs not to worry I got rid of the lice and that old sofa long time ago and many moons have passed . thanks though .

Old 10-10-2012, 01:20 PM

142 posts, read 252,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by witty, wise and wicked View Post
I had to deal with this when my daughter was younger (she's now 18). I tried all of the lice treatment shampoos out there, and usually to no avail. A couple of home rememdies that worked are:
1) Vaseline. Slather your kids' head with vaseline - really work it in from root to tip - and use a shower cap to cover the head overnight. This smothers the bugs and makes the live eggs easier to remove from the hair shaft. It is a mess to clean up afterwards, but for all involved it's an easier way to remove the nits (and doesn't smell unpleasant). I had to use Dawn dishsoap (a few times) to get it all out of my daughter's hair. My daughter had A LOT of hair, it was (and still is) very thick and long. When she had lice, and I used vaseline, I only had to do this once. Of course, I cleaned the house, washed, vacuumed, etc...but as far as the hair thing, it was easier and cheaper than using the chemical treatments. In fact, I did the vaseline thing after I had bought the lice shampoo.
The other one I've had success with:
2) Hertz Flea & Tick shampoo for dogs....I know, some people would never think of putting something for their dogs on their kids, but we were at my ex-in-laws when I knew my daughter had lice (this was a couple of years after the first incident), and my ex-mom-in-law treated my daughter with the shampoo when I was at work.....and it killed the bugs instantly! Did not smell bad, and was easy to rinse out. Of course, still had to pick out the nits, but still, was an easy and cheap remedy.

Whatever way you choose to get rid of these nasty little creatures, you have to be diligent in cleaning the house, taking care of all of the stuffies (stuffed animals), etc. Make sure not only to wash all bedding, but also vacuum all mattresses and couches, chairs, car, etc.
Good luck, and get out of the house so you don't go crazy....go get some ice cream (if you guys like that type of thing) and let the family forget about the 'invaders' for a short time.

OH - if you do have any animals, make sure they are treated as well!!! Some people forget to do that.
Oh, this is what happened to me when I was at summer camp. I remember the camp contacted all the parents and we had a clean-up in the camp's showers. All the parents were cooperative. The camp staff were so nice to us campers, and we were crying. After we did the special shampoos, we took shpwers and put on clean clothes from home.

At home, my Mom used the Vaseline as you said here. It really worked. And the dish detergent, too, afterwards.

We did the bug-bombs spray cans and left the house.

And then, I got lice at school, too. But we did the same things to clean up and it worked.

I think we also washed all of my stuffed animals in hot water. I had short hair for about a year, too.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:45 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I don't know about other areas of the country, but here it is winter when we start to see problems of lice in the schools.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:54 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Maybe from shared hats? All the scarves and thick-collared coats crammed together on the hooks at school? Seems like they could roam pretty easily.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:45 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
My sister got it twice. Pretty sure it was from hanging out at a friend's house both times.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:13 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Lice happens. No need to panic. Wash sheets, towels, and clothing including jackets, hats, and scarves in hot water, and dry on high for at least twenty minutes. Vacuum couches, chairs, and floors and discard the bag in the outside trash. Soak brushes and combs in boiling water every couple of days until the lice are gone.

If you choose to use a commercial product like Nix, do not neglect to use a good lice comb to remove the nits and immature lice. They can be very hard to see, so be thorough. Follow up with a tea tree shampoo and conditioner to prevent re-infestation.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:33 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
You need a special comb I bought one on amazon called Lice terminator comb or something like that. the combs that come with the solution kids are completely useless. You need this comb, it has metal tines and traps those eggs. Also to get all the eggs, shine a very bright lamp on the kids head when you comb, otherwise you will miss some. YOU NEED THAT COMB!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting