U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:02 PM

76 posts, read 329,710 times

Advertisements

I am devestated. We found it sunday night and since we have been cleaning all day long and picking through her hair, applying all kinds of oils. I just keep picking out eggs....Doctor seems to think she may have picked it up during the last week of school. I am such a clean freak, so this REALLY bother's me.

My husband went through my hair last night and found 5 eggs...and I went through my second daughters hair and found 4 eggs.

This is the most horrible thing I have had to encounter since starting parenthood.........until this is over, I can't hold my daughter like I am used to...it is just terrible.......I have cried plenty.

I feel like it is never ending and it has only been 3 days......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 12:23 PM

2,096 posts, read 8,056,764 times
i feel for you! I was sickened when I found out my kids had lice. UGH! To make things even worse, my dear dear husband, actually caught one of the lice! and put it under the kids microscope! YICK!!!! Anyhow, we did the darn lice treatment deal, and the hot hot wash w/bleach, putting all stuffed animals out in bags (after running through a dryer a few times!) and to tell you the truth, i tossed their pillows and bought new ones. I'll tell ya now, those little buggers are hard to get rid of.sigh. BUT, keep at it, and you WILL get rid of them. Heres my biggest tip. Tea tree oil. They hate it. So i buy the teatree oil shampoo, and we all use it at least 3x a week. I work very hand on w/kids, all day long, and w/my own 3 in 3 different schools (cuz of age) we get notes home often that theres been an outbreak in class/school of lice, and since using the tea tree, we havent had another outbreak. Thank Goodness!!! lol
and if it makes you feel better (it did me!!) I was told that the lice are attracted to the really clean hair even more so than the unwashed. Lice is a universal issue, and people from the very poor, thru the very wealthy get it. heck, my kids ped. said his own family had been through it TWICE in a single school year! (they have my sympathy!!)
Dont worry, you'll get through this. Gross as it is, it happens to the best of us.
Tiffany

Old 07-02-2008, 12:38 PM

76 posts, read 329,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
i feel for you! I was sickened when I found out my kids had lice. UGH! To make things even worse, my dear dear husband, actually caught one of the lice! and put it under the kids microscope! YICK!!!! Anyhow, we did the darn lice treatment deal, and the hot hot wash w/bleach, putting all stuffed animals out in bags (after running through a dryer a few times!) and to tell you the truth, i tossed their pillows and bought new ones. I'll tell ya now, those little buggers are hard to get rid of.sigh. BUT, keep at it, and you WILL get rid of them. Heres my biggest tip. Tea tree oil. They hate it. So i buy the teatree oil shampoo, and we all use it at least 3x a week. I work very hand on w/kids, all day long, and w/my own 3 in 3 different schools (cuz of age) we get notes home often that theres been an outbreak in class/school of lice, and since using the tea tree, we havent had another outbreak. Thank Goodness!!! lol
and if it makes you feel better (it did me!!) I was told that the lice are attracted to the really clean hair even more so than the unwashed. Lice is a universal issue, and people from the very poor, thru the very wealthy get it. heck, my kids ped. said his own family had been through it TWICE in a single school year! (they have my sympathy!!)
Dont worry, you'll get through this. Gross as it is, it happens to the best of us.
Tiffany
Thanks TIffany....I just feel like a prisoner in my home...when can we leave the house?

Old 07-02-2008, 12:39 PM

3,084 posts, read 6,463,911 times
Being in child care I've learned tons about lice over the years. So here's some info that may be of help.

Lice is actually very common and tends to be found more often in clean hair/homes than filthy ones, much to the contrary of popular beliefs. Clean hair presents a nice porous hair shaft for the eggs to be attached, while oily hair does not.

If you have live lice and eggs then you've had lice in your house at least a week, likely longer, and it could have come from anywhere. For example:
*If anyone sat in your car that had lice, all it takes is for one to be left behind on the seat. It could have then gotten onto the next person who sat there.
*Anyone that might have tried on a hat in a store, used someone else's brush or laid down on anyone else's couch/bed could have gotten them from one of those places.
*It could have come from someone while they were brushing their hair or blow drying their hair close by someone in your family. (they don't jump but can be flung while using a brush or dryer)
And so on.
Since you have found them on each family member, realize it didn't necessarily come from the child whose hair it was first found in. You or your husband could have just as easily unknowingly brought it in.

Irregardless there are some things you need to do in order to insure you don't continue the cycle in your household.
There are many ways to 'treat' hair, however none will be successful unless all eggs are removed in addtion to the live lice. Once you've used a chemical treatment, if that's your choice, do NOT use it again until the time frame specified. Eggs are not typically killed by all chemicals and they take 7-10 days to hatch. If you use it before that time then you will still have live ones hatching soon.

An egg that is still attached right at the scalp and is extremely difficult to get off the hair shaft, is still alive. It is imperative to get those off so they cannot hatch.

Live lice can live at least 2 weeks off the body, so you have to treat, in some manner, everything that is fabric of any sort. This included in your house and cars and any other family member or friends that have been visited in the last week or so. There are a couple of easy ways to do this without using chemicals.

First, a thorough vacuuming of all car upholstry, carpets, furniture upholstry and mattresses that everyone has come into contact with since the earliest date they could have had them. Then dispose the contents of the bags since they can't live more than about 2 weeks off human scalps.

Second, all clothing/bedding that can be washed and dried needs to be done in full if it's been used in the last few weeks. This is because high heat kills them as well. (this explains why it's more prevelant that younger kids get lice more often than older ones/adults since they are more prone to blow dry their hair daily)

Last, anything that cannot be vacuumed or washed/dried should be sealed in plastic bags and stored for at least 2 weeks. This would be things like stuffed animals or throw pillows.

The most important thing to remember is that after doing all that, if you haven't gotten rid of all the eggs, you will soon be doing it again.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:46 PM

2,745 posts, read 12,851,069 times
Hon, get used to it. In the grand scheme of parenting woes, this is NOTHIN'! I have kids, and I worked at a school for years. This is something everyone has to deal with at least once and I learned a lot by trial and error and watching the trial and error of other parents. We were a small school and at one point a good 1/3 of the student body was out due to head lice! It was mostly the little girls every time, because they are more huggy/touchy and will put their heads together to whisper and tell secrets, and will share each others headbands and barrettes and brushes. Head to head contact is the general method of transmission.

First of all, as the previous poster said, it has nothing to do with cleanliness. In fact, lice PREFER clean hair, which is why one of the "tricks" people swear by is to lightly spray your child's head with hair spray every day then brush... supposedly lice don't like hair with 'product' in it. I don't know if this works but it can't really hurt to try, once the lice are gone, to keep them away.

Second, there area million different "home remedies" out there and some actually work.
There are also problems with some of the over the counter lice treatment products, as some DO NOT work as they've developed immunities to the pesticides.

I have also used Tea Tree Oil shampoo on my kids with good results, but I also added pure TT Oil (from the health food store, about 1/2 tsp along with shampoo) to the shampoo for the first treatment and left it on for 20 minutes (as a lather). Then followed up with the TT Oil shampoo for every washing for the next few weeks. It stinks, but you can always use conditioner to combat the odor.

I did this after the OTC "lice shampoo" left LIVE lice on my kid's head.

You don't need bleach on the sheets and such. Hot hot water and a hot dryer is sufficient. If you have something that can't go in the dryer or hot water I've heard that cold works as well... bag it up and freeze it for a few days.

The best thing you can do, from my experienc, is to buy a GOOD quality metal nit comb and comb your child's hair with it every day for at least a week. This will be uncomfortable and annoying but it WORKS. Yes, go ahead and use whatever treatment you're going to use, then spend at least 15 minutes a night using the nit comb. IF any lice survive this will remove them also and keep them from breeding/laying eggs. One mom I know used the lice shampoo, then the nit comb every night for a week, then the lice shampoo again, and the nit comb again every night for another week. She had THREE kids to do this with and it sucked but it worked.

Oh, this treatment plan looks very promising and I've bookmarked it in case it happens here again in our house, but haven't yet tried it or talked to anyone who has tried it. Check it out:

Nuvo for Head Lice

Nuvo Treatment Explained

They are not selling anything, the method uses Cetaphil and they're not selling Cetaphil... and the studies show really good results. The American Journal of Pediatrics mentions it also.

Cetaphil Cleanser (Nuvo Lotion) Cures Head Lice -- Pearlman 116 (6): 1612 -- Pediatrics

They refer to it as "Nuvo" lotion which is another name for Cetaphil?

Check it out. And good luck to you, and remember, there are much worse things that can happen.

PS, you can leave the house NOW! Just keep your head away from other people's heads, don't share brushes or hats, and there's not a problem.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:57 PM

2,868 posts, read 8,443,210 times
I have also read that if you add a little Tea Tree oil to your shampoo you will not get lice...Of course this info is not any help now...but for the future...

I hope you rid of them soon.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:15 PM

9,444 posts, read 14,981,673 times
Tea Tree Oil and Coconut Oil are great.

I'm sorry you have to deal with it...Perhaps some won't agree with me, but I would contact professional servise to get rid of the lice. There are people that can come to your house and treat entire family. It could be expensive though, but it's worth it.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Tea Tree Oil and Coconut Oil are great.

I'm sorry you have to deal with it...Perhaps some won't agree with me, but I would contact professional servise to get rid of the lice. There are people that can come to your house and treat entire family. It could be expensive though, but it's worth it.
I totally agree. We don't have this service that I know of in my city. If we did I would have used it!! It was a horrible PITA to deal with it ourselves repeatedly in one school year.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:39 PM

128 posts, read 212,644 times
I had to deal with this when my daughter was younger (she's now 18). I tried all of the lice treatment shampoos out there, and usually to no avail. A couple of home rememdies that worked are:
1) Vaseline. Slather your kids' head with vaseline - really work it in from root to tip - and use a shower cap to cover the head overnight. This smothers the bugs and makes the live eggs easier to remove from the hair shaft. It is a mess to clean up afterwards, but for all involved it's an easier way to remove the nits (and doesn't smell unpleasant). I had to use Dawn dishsoap (a few times) to get it all out of my daughter's hair. My daughter had A LOT of hair, it was (and still is) very thick and long. When she had lice, and I used vaseline, I only had to do this once. Of course, I cleaned the house, washed, vacuumed, etc...but as far as the hair thing, it was easier and cheaper than using the chemical treatments. In fact, I did the vaseline thing after I had bought the lice shampoo.
The other one I've had success with:
2) Hertz Flea & Tick shampoo for dogs....I know, some people would never think of putting something for their dogs on their kids, but we were at my ex-in-laws when I knew my daughter had lice (this was a couple of years after the first incident), and my ex-mom-in-law treated my daughter with the shampoo when I was at work.....and it killed the bugs instantly! Did not smell bad, and was easy to rinse out. Of course, still had to pick out the nits, but still, was an easy and cheap remedy.

Whatever way you choose to get rid of these nasty little creatures, you have to be diligent in cleaning the house, taking care of all of the stuffies (stuffed animals), etc. Make sure not only to wash all bedding, but also vacuum all mattresses and couches, chairs, car, etc.
Good luck, and get out of the house so you don't go crazy....go get some ice cream (if you guys like that type of thing) and let the family forget about the 'invaders' for a short time.

OH - if you do have any animals, make sure they are treated as well!!! Some people forget to do that.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witty, wise and wicked View Post
<snip>
OH - if you do have any animals, make sure they are treated as well!!! Some people forget to do that.
This is unnecessary. The type of lice that lives on a human head doesn't survive on an animal, and vice versa. Humans have their own kind of lice, as do dogs/cats/whatever.

Human Lice, HYG-2094-96 (http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2094.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting