Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 07:59 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times

Advertisements

Don't know how many of you are into country music, but here in Texas it's pretty big. Bucky Covington did a song called "A Different World" which is the one you may be referring to in the threads earlier. Also, Mark Wills did a song called "Nineteen Something" which also speaks to older days (parachute pants and Stretch Armstrong)!

We did have drive-ins where I grew up in the California Bay Area. Some other things I remember:

TV Shows:
working out with the Jack Lalane show
Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom (with Marlin Perkins)
Banana Splits
Wonderful World of Disney (with real Disney movies)!

Toys:
Stretch Armstrong
GI Joe
Operation (the game)
Toy soldiers
45 singles records
Horse heads on broomsticks (my faithful steed!)

Items:
Manual channel change TVs
Handheld transistor radios
Casette playing clock radios
Tape recorders (making your own cassette tapes of songs on the radio.. if the DJ would shut up!!)

Clothes:
Leg warmers
Parachute pants
White/blue overalls/coveralls
WIDE collered shirts
Headbands (outside of sports)

Great threat. Thank you all for the trip down memory lane!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 08:00 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
My kids love to play in the rain and splash in puddles! I have a particularly funny short video where my then 18 yr old was stomping in the mud and when my then 7 yr old ran by her and got mud smeared down her back squealed and giggled like a maniac. It makes you LOL. They all had to stay in the rain long enough to rinse off the mud before they could come back in!

They have used the old aquarium that used to hold hamsters, for lizards, frogs, snakes and roly polys found in the yard. They get a new butterfly net each spring. I've got various sizes of magnifying glasses that are well used.

We, well they, swim almost daily in our little pool in the yard, along with playing on the slip n slide and in the hose.

They ride bikes, blow bubbles (with all sorts of things used) play basketball, dig in the dirt, sit and read, swing, play tag and if we had fireflies they'd sure be catching them! We live right smack dab in the middle of a huge metropolitan area so they don't find them much here. Yet we still make outside a huge part of our life. It's a priority from me to them, plus they are nature loving kids!

Old 07-09-2008, 08:03 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
Ah, Rathagos, I'm in Texas too...DFW area.

Clothes for me would have been the original hip huggers...not these 'low rise' deals you see today. Red Snaps actually. Bought at the Army/Navy store. With bell bottoms.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:12 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I've got various sizes of magnifying glasses that are well used.
Oh... my.... G..... I cannot tell you how many bugs died under the pinpoint of my magnifying glass (sounds evil now for some reason)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
They ride bikes, blow bubbles (with all sorts of things used) play basketball, dig in the dirt, sit and read, swing, play tag and if we had fireflies they'd sure be catching them! We live right smack dab in the middle of a huge metropolitan area so they don't find them much here. Yet we still make outside a huge part of our life. It's a priority from me to them, plus they are nature loving kids!
That's another thing you don't see too much of is the playing outside... maybe a sign of the times that I don't like my younger ones being out of my sight in today's world. But we used to play "team tag" with maybe a 4 vs 4. We couldn't go past "Mike's block" ... and "the tree in Joey's yard" was "base" ... and that "mean old man who never gave out candy at Halloween's house is off limits"... but other than that... have at it!

Old 07-09-2008, 08:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I remember the milkman. We used to leave the empty quart sized glass bottles on the porch in a milk box and the Steffens Dairy man would pick them up and leave 4 full ones a few times each week.
We still get once a week milk delivery here in the Boulder, CO area. I grew up in the late 50s/early 60s years and remember a lot of that stuff. A nice trip down Memory Lane!

Old 07-09-2008, 10:32 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,082 times
At school, we bought milk for 4 cents. I remember it went up to a nickel when I was in the fifth grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting