Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:02 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
Well, I don't know what those battered women say but when you're 12 or 13 year old and you get a spanking for stealing $20 out of grandma's purse and use it for no good stuff and after the spanking mom ask you nicely "Did you learn your lesson?" and your reply is a defiant "No" or when you're known in school as the "stay away from that kid, alex." or "I don't want to see you hanging around w/ him" from their parents or when your older brother smashes your brand new state of the art latest hand held Donkey Kong video game and you grab a baseball bat and chase after him and he locks himself in our parent's bedroom so I go into his room and take a scissor to all his clothes and I get a beating and my mom tells me she loves me anyhow at the end of the day...then yes, I guess it's a battered child/woman syndrome.

Trust me, you had to be there.

What a little terror you were, huh?

Old 07-08-2008, 06:06 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
I suppose I am the lone dissenter here. For me, spanking is never an option. It basically is telling the child this: If someone is bigger, they can hit you! If you are bigger then someone, you can hit them.

I was not spanked by my father but my mother spanked a lot. She just could't deal with things so it was easier for her to hit. sad!

Shanny
I'm with ya girl, go to thread 18.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:07 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,422,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
What a little terror you were, huh?
Now that I'm a parent I know I was. But for the most part I'm just a harmelss big teddy bear, I swear.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:26 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Quote:
I suppose I am the lone dissenter here. For me, spanking is never an option. It basically is telling the child this: If someone is bigger, they can hit you! If you are bigger then someone, you can hit them.
I agree with you. I think it teaches that someone bigger can hit someone smaller. Someone was talking to me about spanking and she told me that she spanks her son when he hits the dog, and that this happens several times a week. And she wonders where he gets the idea that it's okay to hit the dog...

And I don't think that it's totally clear-cut the difference between spanking and abuse. Several in this thread have mentioned being hit with objects, such as belts or spoons or spatulas, and I think that is in a whole other class than spanking with your hand. Same with being hit in the face/head.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:41 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Isn't this what battered woman always say... "they always tell me they love me after they beat me"
There is a serious difference in being BEATEN and a spank on the fanny...

Old 07-08-2008, 06:48 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
Quote:

I was not spanked by my father but my mother spanked a lot. She just could't deal with things so it was easier for her to hit. sad!

Shanny
I agree.... I was never spanked as a child, was threatned with the wooden spoon a few times, but never spanked. All my dad had to do was raise his voice.

I think that spanking does exactly as the above says-it tells a child that it is okay for "US" as the bigger person to hit, because that is what spanking is-it is hitting.
Don't we teach our children NOT to hit others?
It is confusing to me as an adult, I can't imagine how much more confusing it would be for a toddler who gets spanked by their parent and then turns around and hits another child and is punished for doing so?

Old 07-08-2008, 06:48 AM

33 posts, read 134,160 times
I grew up being spanked when i deserved it, and i did. spanking gives immediate concequences for the children's misbehavior. However i dont approve of using a belt because that can actually hurt someone. i think that it should not be a parents first choice of disipline but sometimes is appropriate when deemed nescessary, and as my grandparents always said 'spare the rod spoil the child' (although a 'rod' should always be spared, a hand works just fine)

Old 07-08-2008, 07:51 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
I'm completely 100% against spanking. This topic had been brought up before.

Do you spank your kids?

Old 07-08-2008, 07:58 AM

311 posts, read 1,058,302 times
I'm against it as well. Disciplne is definitely important and letting your children walk all over you isn't going to accomplish anything but I think a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:41 AM

21 posts, read 59,538 times
Quote:

Shanny

I think that spanking is the easy way out for parents when they do not want to "deal" with the problem at hand. I am very firm and concise with my children when they do something wrong. They are only 3 and 2 right now, but I do not want to spank my children at all. I will find other ways of punishing them, but I really do not see the benefits of hitting someone you love. Parents are supposed to show love to their children and teach them right from wrong. I know I am making the right decision when I see how loving and protective my kids are with each other. I think as long as you are consistent with your punishments children will learn the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting