Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:48 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,091,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Ladies, I dont know about all this, I never did at five, and raised twin boys, that are now 19, touching themselves at 5, masturbating? no, maybe at 12, 14 yes, but 5, no, sorry to disagree. its just scratching, boredom, tell them its inappropriate, not polite. make them do something else to keep them busy, they are bored, fidgeting, their hands reach there, if they reached their feet, they would be playing with their toes. Tell them to take the dog for a walk, ride a bike, keep them busy, and they will forget about being bored.

BTW, its not perverted, they dont even know the feelings.
That's what I was thinking. At that age, you can't ejaculate. I'm a man and don't remember doing anything like that at such a young age. But I wouldn't demonize the kid for touching himself either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 09:33 PM

650 posts, read 2,174,380 times
It is perfectly normal-- it feels good so he wants to touch it!
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 06-26-2015 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: we don't need to know that

Old 12-17-2008, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 9,872 times
Default what 2 do w/my 4year old

So I found my 4yr old son humping the floor in the TV room not major action but ya. So I wasn't sure (diddnt want to think he was ) but after asking my kids doctor he said it was normal but now I face the issue of telling him to take it somewhere elts witch it ok but here is my question should I tell him about hands or let him keep useing the floor. I tryed talking to my husband but he dosent even want to talk about the subject so its on my hands and I'm clueless. I never thought I would have to face this subject so soon lol p.s thank you for all the above stories it help ease this topic

Old 12-17-2008, 11:33 PM

287 posts, read 547,204 times
I'm going through this with my 5 yr old daughter. She also doesn't touch other people. I've explained to her there are times and places where it's ok to "explore" her body, but she still does it in the the living room, at other people's houses...it's ridiculous! She's ADHD and possibly Bipolar (her therapist FIRMLY believes she is Bipolar) and apparently it's called hypersexuality and it's part of Bipolar disorder. I don't think this is necessarily the case for all children or anything, but given my daughter's other problems, I am really thinking her therapist is right about her.

I think making a huge deal out of it makes them want to do it more, so you just have to keep telling them it's ok to do when they are by themselves in their own room, but not in front of others. And try to make sure you get them to ask any questions they might have. It seems to be helping a bit with her being open about it, but I never ever thought I'd have to talk to my 5 yr old daughter about something like this so early!! I don't remember ever having interests in that even at 10 or 11!

Old 12-18-2008, 06:32 AM

541 posts, read 1,140,382 times
Default Yes, it's normal

I like many other poster have told my son it's a private place and he need to only touch it in private places.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 06-26-2015 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: because of the variety of people reading some things are best not said

Old 12-18-2008, 11:33 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,264,559 times
When I worked in a preschool, there were appoximately 25% of the kids would play Al Bundy (hands down the pants) Some kids start discovering their nether regions duing potty training. We had one girl who, during naptime, would scratch that particular itch with her blankie. It is something usually associated with boys, but we had our share of girls who explored.

Nap girl... we just put her mat in a less obious area and let her be.... she just flat out couldn't go to sleep.... it had become a habit. In other cases we'd ask "so and so.... do you need to go potty?" if the answer was no, we day something like, well lets keep our hands out of our pants right now.... why don't you go wash your hands and we can....." Eventually, the kids learn time and place. Now, we never had a show and tell, but we have had our share of streakers.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:14 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,347,054 times
What that means is - - he is a boy.

Just make sure he knows that it is inappropriate in public. Otherwise it is normal. Boys jsut want to regularly make certain that everything is still there. Later they will tell you that it is becuae it is "itchy" By about 7 or 8 you will not see it anymore.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:25 PM

850 posts, read 3,149,329 times
I can remember when my oldest was about two and he came hollering into the living room.."Mom, my wicky's growing up!" I almost had a heart attack and could only sputter "well, don't touch it and it will go away!". Man do those hormones start early!

It is normal, and while I am raising my third son - now 9 months - I have figured out to approach it in such a way they do not feel like THEY are bad, explain it is a normal thing, but not something you do in public or with others around, and always find something to distract them - a toy, stuffed animal, whatever - so when it comes from frustration or fear, they have a different 'comfort'.

I have no idea when the boys stopped doing it in front of God an everybody, but it was not long after they turned 5. Before that, gentle reminders and redirection are all you can do.

Oh what I have to look forward to...as my little one just found his a few weeks ago! Now I make him hold the diaper while I cahnge him. Works like a charm!

Old 12-19-2008, 01:30 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,619,390 times
This is just the funniest thread Maybe so because I have a 4 year old with the Mr Winkie thing going on too lol Man, the stories I could tell. When we are out in public I just ask him if everything is ok down there in a tone that emotes concern not scorn. Of course he will pull his hand away immediately in case I want to check lol

Last edited by Miss Blue; 06-26-2015 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: some things are just better not said in a public forum.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 9,367 times
Default same problem...

My 3 yr. old boy has his hand down his pants .....way too much. He has 2 older brothers (6 and 7) that never did this...I'm getting worried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting