U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 05:51 PM

213 posts, read 596,071 times

Advertisements

just a general question. I always wanted a big family I think due to being a part of a small family, however after anaylzing everything i think what i really wanted was to be a part of a large family. For instance it was my mother, father, and brother. When my mom died it was just me my brother and my father so i had a lot of really trying times. when i met my daughters father and saw he had eight brothers and sisters and all the love and happiness they had i starting wanting that as well. So i guess the question is if you were part of a big family would you rather raise a small family and if you were part of a small family would you want to raise a large family? just wondering if anyone went through this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 05:54 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,789,261 times
My husband and I both wanted a big family, settled on 4 kids. I would like more. I guess the 4 we have has scared him into not wanting another,lol.
I come from a small family, only 2 brothers but had lots of cousins and nieces and nephews and we were always together.
Dh only has a sister and 2 cousins.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:59 PM

14,299 posts, read 20,550,720 times
If I had the patience I would have a HUGE family. I came from a small family also and admire and covet larger families. I just know myself, I would go insane with more than two children!

Old 07-25-2008, 06:11 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,619,392 times
Growing up, my immediate family was my mother and me. We lived close to her mother, so it was *almost* as if I had a two-parent family. It was fantastic! On very rare occasions, I wished there were a sibling or two but the feeling passed very quickly. Most of the time, I realized how lucky I was to never have to wonder who mom loved best .

Fast forward to now. Husband and I are raising an only child and it is fantastic. Son agrees (we've asked him often). He's delighted to be an only child. And no, he isn't spoiled .

I know a lot of people have a need to be surrounded by other people all the time. We're not like that. We each actually enjoy our own company and have no issues with being alone. We're all quite happy to be, or to have been, part of very small families.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:48 PM

3,785 posts, read 8,765,275 times
I come from a family of 5 and I currently and am a family of 5 and am happy with this size. What I dearly miss, though, is a huge extended family. When I was growing up, all of my relatives lived nearby. There was rural road on which my grandparents lived next door to their son and his family who lived next door to my great aunt and uncle who lived across the street from another aunt and uncle---it was great! My aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, were a huge part of my life. Now, however, my husband and my families are spread out all over the country. We're rarely all together and that really makes me sad. I'd give anything to be surrounded by family like it was when I was a kid.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:58 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,789,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I come from a family of 5 and I currently and am a family of 5 and am happy with this size. What I dearly miss, though, is a huge extended family. When I was growing up, all of my relatives lived nearby. There was rural road on which my grandparents lived next door to their son and his family who lived next door to my great aunt and uncle who lived across the street from another aunt and uncle---it was great! My aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, were a huge part of my life. Now, however, my husband and my families are spread out all over the country. We're rarely all together and that really makes me sad. I'd give anything to be surrounded by family like it was when I was a kid.
I had a big extended family too. It seems like after my grandparents died, everyone split. Not sure what ended up happening but my grandparents were definately the glue that held us all together

Old 07-25-2008, 08:28 PM

64 posts, read 172,356 times
I was the oldest of 4 girls, so a medium-large family. I want a large family, but I want it to come from adopting.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:41 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,985,638 times
I come from a family of seven kids and have six kids myself. I have so many wonderful memories with my siblings that I wanted the same for my children.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:02 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,744,509 times
I grew up with my mom, dad and brother. I always wanted a sister. Dh also just had one brother. We have five kids and love it! With three boys and two girls, everyone has a brother and sister. It worked out so well!

Old 07-26-2008, 05:45 AM

11,397 posts, read 15,999,324 times
I come from a family of 2 children. I want a large family, but I think it's selfish to come about one biologically. I would like one biological child and then adopt and foster as many more as my finances will allow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting