U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 11:47 AM

4,677 posts, read 1,835,675 times

Advertisements

I am having a birthday party for my soon to be 5 year old son and havent done it before. It will be at my house with a bounce house and snacks and stuff. Should I have party favors? I heard it makes you look snobby, showing off what you got? I havent met the kids in my sons class and the parents are asking if they should stay? Also do kids do party games anymore or would the bounce house be enough? And what party games should they do as five year olds? Any ideas would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 12:14 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,248,434 times
yes the parents should stay.
i do favors because that is our thank you for attending and also covers any gifts he may have recieved.--rather than sending out thank yous later.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:04 PM

2,945 posts, read 11,936,013 times
If you need to get really discounted items, consider oriental trading dot com.

Here' some more ideas and inexpensive too -- buy some small brown bags, fill with various goodies (nothing that will choke a child) that you can get at a dollar store or flea market. Tie the bag with ribbon or rafia.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:07 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,240,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
I am having a birthday party for my soon to be 5 year old son and havent done it before. It will be at my house with a bounce house and snacks and stuff. Should I have party favors? I heard it makes you look snobby, showing off what you got? I havent met the kids in my sons class and the parents are asking if they should stay? Also do kids do party games anymore or would the bounce house be enough? And what party games should they do as five year olds? Any ideas would be great. Thanks!
How many children will be there? May want to make sure you have a few other activities other than the bouncy thing for those who want a break. Just google bday party ideas/5yr olds, etc & you will get a ton of ideas. Depending on how long the party is & how many kids are attending, the bouncy thing may lose its appeal. If it is outside & will be warm out, can always have the sprinkler on. Maybe some chalk & they can do stuff on the sidewalk or driveway.

I think for 5 & under, the simpler the better. They want to play & be crazy.

And it is appropriate to give small little treat bags & does not have to be expensive.

You can get some brown lunch bags & a bunch of markers. Have the kids design their own goodie bags. Then, have the treats on a table & WITH ADULT SUPERVISION the children can put their treats in their bag.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:37 PM

2,868 posts, read 8,444,336 times
Hire a childrens magician...Well worth the money... or maybe someone who face paints?? I always do little favors...I never have thought it is snobby...I guess it depends on the favor.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:04 PM

574 posts, read 1,801,497 times
I always do favors too and had actually never heard the comment about it being snobby.

I like the sprinkler idea since it will still be hot out. You could also have a water balloon game and some relay or other types of races. I teach Kindergarten and five year olds love to be active.

Nancy

Old 07-31-2008, 09:54 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,788,274 times
I have never heard of party favors being snobby either, makes me wonder what they were handing out,lol...

The kids will love the bounce house but I would also add some water games (they'll be hot) Maybe the party favor could be water guns? We have done water guns, water balloons, water balloon toss, the kids always think that is fun. Have them try and walk across the yard with a balloon between their knees.
Have fun!

Old 07-31-2008, 10:08 PM

589 posts, read 1,437,257 times
Oh parties are so much fun! I usually try to keep the # of participants equal to the age of the child if you are not going to have the parent stay.. So my limit for a 5 year old would be 5 kids. That's just my opinion because it gets wild after that! Family parties are different, of course! (As you can see, I'm not one to invite the entire class.)

As for party favors... I did this one time and it was a hit... I gave the gift certificate equivalent of a kids meal at a local fast food place to each child. This is usually under $4 per child and can end up being less than you spend on a goody bag. I've also seen people offer a make & take craft as the party favor. This also works nicely as long as the project is dry before it's time to go home! (It's best to do these at the beginning of the party before everyone gets all wet!)

Activities in the warm months should include water games! Just make sure the parents know to send a towel and clothes they don't mind getting wet. Make a tub of homemade bubbles and bubble wands. You can put the bubble in plastic bowls or dishes with higher edges.

Most of all... make it easy on you! If you have a friend that can come help you out, do it! Have that person be in charge of the camera so you don't have to think about it.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:10 PM

896 posts, read 3,866,705 times
At my daughter's fifth birthday, I rented a hall and had an art mermaid/pirate themed party. This was the first party I'd ever attended/given where not a single parent stayed. However, my second child is now five and I always attend parties with her. I sometimes think it's a geographic issue about where you live. (I've lived in three different areas and of the three--only that one place had absentee parents). At five, I still think my daughter needs me at a party.

Another idea to do instead of party favors is to have a pinata. The bag of candy the child collects serves as the favor.

I think with the bounce house--you're going to have kids running all around. The last 5th birthday party I attended with a bounce house didn't have activities outside of that and the pinata. I think one silly activity can loosen everyone up. Some kids enjoy art projects, too. You can find sticker scenes at www.orientaltrading.com. Another website that might help you with ideas is www.birthdaypartyideas.com

Good Luck! My daughter's fifth birthday party is in two weeks and we're doing a princess/pirate tea party with dress up and they're going to play two games, have a parade in costume and then decorate their own cupcakes.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:14 PM

589 posts, read 1,437,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
My daughter's fifth birthday party is in two weeks and we're doing a princess/pirate tea party with dress up and they're going to play two games, have a parade in costume and then decorate their own cupcakes.
Ohh this sounds fun! I did this when my twins turned 6. I rented (cheaply) a room at the community center on base. I had a bunch of fabric scraps & fripperies and big sheets of mover/butcher paper. They created their own princess dresses. Only one parent did not stay and help their child. We had 10 children including the birthday girlS. After they made their dresses and crowns (out of craft foam, sparkles and elastic), we had a fashion show. Then we opened presents and had ice cream cake and pretzels. It was super easy, super cheap and so much fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting