U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 11:52 AM

2,098 posts, read 5,783,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Sorry to make light of your misery....but something about a wicked little boy named "Finnegan" just cracks me up!!!
Oh my god, that's awesome....Finnegan LMAO!!!!! Never heard it as a first name, I think I'll name my next son that. Wait, maybe not, he might turn out fresh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 12:02 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,248,249 times
Watched the interview on CNN. Did anyone else notice something? What was in that childs mouth? What was sitting on the table right in front of that child? A FULL PACK OF GUM!!!!!!!!!! Duh, these are some bright parents. Let me guess, the gum was a bribe (been guilty of that myself but not a whole pack of gum). This child clearly has no restraints put on her. I've known kids like this, not very welcome in my home sadly. I start to loose respect for parents that allow their children to do whatever they please and worse if it is allowed in someone elses home or in public.

Thanks pixie. I know I could have closed my eyes during that time and gone to sleep but I knew that if I did not do something to keep her busy we would all be paying for it on the plane. She is a wiggle worm, always talking, etc. My kids also attend many hockey games (3 hour events) and they know they can not stand up or bother the persons around them. I'm worn out by the end of the game if not before just making sure that this one has behaved and not been a pest. Everyone around her loves her to death as she is very personable but she just can not sit still and it is a job to get her too. Even the 1 hour in church can be torture sometimes for me (easily forgotten once it is over though) but I bet you those around would not even realize what has gone on during that time to keep her from being disruptive.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:25 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,895,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Watched the interview on CNN. Did anyone else notice something? What was in that childs mouth? What was sitting on the table right in front of that child? A FULL PACK OF GUM!!!!!!!!!! Duh, these are some bright parents. Let me guess, the gum was a bribe (been guilty of that myself but not a whole pack of gum). This child clearly has no restraints put on her. I've known kids like this, not very welcome in my home sadly. I start to loose respect for parents that allow their children to do whatever they please and worse if it is allowed in someone elses home or in public.

You're right Momof2dfw. And they tried to pacify her with a lollipop too...so yeah, give the tot some sugar... !!!! The interview plainly shows that the parents exercise little to no discipline. They will pay for that in the future in the resulting development of their daughter and, really, how can they say they love their daughter truly if they don't give her the foundation needed to survive successfully later in life? Badly misbehaved children with no structure become miserable adults with no goals or drive and end up like some of my cousins.
I just got in contact with my dad's oldest deceased brother's wife this past month (I've been on a kick to contact all my first cousins whom I haven't seen or heard from in 26 years since our grandmother's funeral). My dad had two elder brothers, both of whom had five children each. The oldest one had two girls and three boys. Their dad died in 1968 when the family was still very young. Their mother, my aunt whom I was just in contact with, had no restrictions on them. They ruled the house, drove off in the car when they wanted to, lay on the beach all day doing nothing, avoided school, got into deliquency problems, etc. Only one, the oldest, made herself a success. She's actually a pretty famous architect now and lives in New York and was the head of the New York Landmark Commission and a part of Rudolph Guiliani's city government. She's done very well, is a fantastic mom, and has two kids who are terrific. The others are in their forties and early fifties now and have done nothing. The three "boys" live together now in a parish as one is a priest... The other sister's claim to fame is laying on beaches from Central America through California and Hawaii and arranging flowers occasionally. These older middle-aged grown men mooch off their mom and their family isn't close.
My parents (even though my real dad is an a-hole) raised us to be respectful, goal-oriented, polite, and with responsibility. My sister is fantastic mom and an executive at a famous movie studio in Burbank with her own art business on the side. I've done pretty well myself in banking. My mother still tells me how proud she is of me and us and how grateful she is that we were born her children. I think the world of her too and even as a child would never have intentionally done anything to purposely embarrass or disrespect her because I love her. I don't understand how kids can behave that way and still say they love their parents.
On the other side, my dad's second brother, also deceased at a very young age unfortunately (1972) was married to a woman who had a firm but loving hand. ALL of those cousins are extremely successful. Four of the five are millionaires now. They have wonderful families and all have extremely well-behaved children. They are also extremely close and visit each other and have Thanksgiving together ...all five siblings and their families... every year though their mom unfortunately died also a few years ago from a stroke.
My aunt of the bad five told me she had visited my cousin Jennifer's family (one of the second son's daughters..or good group) and how well behaved her children were, polite, fun, respectful, ...delightful. She said she didn't like children who misbehave and all I could think of...was....then why didn't your raise your five better??????

Last edited by MoMark; 01-24-2007 at 12:42 PM..

Old 01-24-2007, 12:28 PM

2,098 posts, read 5,783,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

Thanks pixie. I know I could have closed my eyes during that time and gone to sleep but I knew that if I did not do something to keep her busy we would all be paying for it on the plane. She is a wiggle worm, always talking, etc. My kids also attend many hockey games (3 hour events) and they know they can not stand up or bother the persons around them. I'm worn out by the end of the game if not before just making sure that this one has behaved and not been a pest. Everyone around her loves her to death as she is very personable but she just can not sit still and it is a job to get her too. Even the 1 hour in church can be torture sometimes for me (easily forgotten once it is over though) but I bet you those around would not even realize what has gone on during that time to keep her from being disruptive.
I agree. Most people don't know what we go through to keep them quiet! However, most people don't mind kids rustling around a bit, as they are children after all, and secondly, most parents have a decent amount of control over the type of rustling. My cousin and I took the kids to church one time, her son is 7 months older than my little one. They were perfect angels, they colored and did stickers. Then about 5 minutes before church was over, they got into a fight over ONE crayon!!! I was so embarassed but everybody laughed at them and that was that. Because we had control the rest of the time (or at least we kept the raucous in our own pew)
My daughter can't talk without moving. I don't mean moving her hands, I do that too, I mean her body. The minute her mouth opens, she's dancing or bouncing or picking one foot up while the other's down and vice versa....I get tired just from looking at her. However, she has manners like I've never seen (she'll say God Bless You even if a stranger sneezes, please, thank you, your welcome, how are you, etc.) and that cute face...people tend to fall for her regardless of the involuntary body movements.....Thank God!!

Old 01-24-2007, 12:46 PM

13,374 posts, read 40,158,807 times
I read about this on another messageboard and from what I read from the article, completely support the airline. Those parents were pathetic and AirTran is well rid of their business.
HOWEVER
I can't tell you how many times I've seen rude, inconsiderate adult passengers getting up during those last few seconds before take-off, putting away jackets in their overhead bin, or making one last cellphone call etc etc etc etc.
I've seen some flight attendants speaking rather harshly to these selfish morons, and thought to myself, Right On. But never have I seen any adults kicked off the plane.
I know that kids on airplanes are sort of a dreaded stereotype, but my worst experiences have been with older folks. On a flight home from Chicago I was seated next to an older couple who repeatedly, I mean repeatedly hawked loogies; it was like some sort of reflexive tic they had.
I asked the flight attendant if I could move and fortunately she was able to arrange this.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:02 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,895,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I read about this on another messageboard and from what I read from the article, completely support the airline. Those parents were pathetic and AirTran is well rid of their business.
HOWEVER
I can't tell you how many times I've seen rude, inconsiderate adult passengers getting up during those last few seconds before take-off, putting away jackets in their overhead bin, or making one last cellphone call etc etc etc etc.
I've seen some flight attendants speaking rather harshly to these selfish morons, and thought to myself, Right On. But never have I seen any adults kicked off the plane.
I know that kids on airplanes are sort of a dreaded stereotype, but my worst experiences have been with older folks. On a flight home from Chicago I was seated next to an older couple who repeatedly, I mean repeatedly hawked loogies; it was like some sort of reflexive tic they had.
I asked the flight attendant if I could move and fortunately she was able to arrange this.
Ewwwwwwwwww...I got a visual combined with audio on that description.. Good thing it wasn't me sitting next to those pigs as I'd have gotten nauseated and projectile-vomited a stream of chunks and goo right at them

Last edited by MoMark; 01-24-2007 at 04:00 PM..

Old 01-24-2007, 03:54 PM

889 posts, read 2,798,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Sorry to make light of your misery....but something about a wicked little boy named "Finnegan" just cracks me up!!!
Trust me, with his mothers whatever accent in her high pitched voice saying his name over and over, that name and the little boy were something else

Old 01-25-2007, 11:31 AM

850 posts, read 2,848,721 times
momof2 - I agree with you too a tee!!!
When I flew back from Florida in November - I was tired and dealing with a little headache - and there was a toddler in front of me. That kid never sat still - the stewardess told the parents to buckle her in several times and the kid screamed - so mom undid her and passed her up to dad the row ahead. Back and forth, scream, blah, blah, blah.

We hit turbulance and were flying through a storm and the seatbelt light came on. The stewardess again kept coming back there and I heard her say she would have to keep her in her seat or they would be moved toward the captain??? Don't know what that would accomplish thousands of feet in the air, but I was very pleased they were trying to stop pthe drama.

I have always said - if you do not have control of your 3 year old, you will not have control of your 16 year old. Parents who try to reason with their kids and warn but never follow through - they think they have problems now!!

We have a generation out there now who is a result of this type of parenting - and they have no ethics, believe the world owes them everything and could care less about anyone but them selves. I know you all have seen them in action somwhere - mall, grocery, etc. It's really bad when these kids get a car - look out!

Must shut up now lest I insert foot in mouth. I am just happy my kids have turned out well - yes, I spanked - and I intend to counsel them the same way my 1st mil did me. Respect is a good thing and can't start early enough!

Kimmiey

Old 01-25-2007, 11:36 AM

850 posts, read 2,848,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I totally agree. I saw the interview with the parents. Guess what the 3 year old girl is doing? Climbing all over the couch behind her mother and being a general nuissance. It's clearly how that little girl is being brought up and it's the parent's fault, not that little kid.
The airline was right to throw them off and although the family apparently refused free tickets from the airline afterward, I agree with momof3dfw that that 15 min. delay ends up costing everyone time and money and is intolerable if not an emergency situation.
When I flew to Detroit from Frankfurt, Germany in 2003, I had a child about that age SCREAMING< SCREAMING>SCREAMING throughout almost the entire flight. The parents sat there ignoring it and pretending everything was fine. No attempt to take control. If that had been me as a child, my dad would have brought out the pincher neck hold and asked me "Do you want something to cry about?" and that would have resolved the issue nicely for me, my parents, and the other 250 passengers suffering through my tantrum. I wanted to reach over and throw the whole family out the window at 40,000 ft. That the parents of badly behaved children inflict their poor parental skill results on the rest of us should not be tolerated by us. Why should we suffer lost connections, delays, and physical discomfort because they're rotten parents?
Oh my gosh - you got the neck hold, too!! Thought I was the only one! I so wish the old days were back! You know - when you could discipline your kids in public without getting thrown in jail??

Oh, and if I got in trouble at school - consider it doubled when I got home. Kids today have no fear - and I feel sorry for them. They are in for such a rude awakening when society won't give into them as adults!

KImmiey

Old 01-25-2007, 03:12 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,248,249 times
LOL!!! I've done the neckhold on my two kids. They both have also gotten a few swats on more than one occassion. When they were much younger they would get the swat on the hand if it was something they were doing w/ their hands. I believe spanking has its place, NOT BEATINGS and abuse (which make me sick to my stomach). My husband and I both got our fair share of spankings (some for something we probably did not deserve and probably plenty of times we should have gotten one... or two ). Do I thank my parents, HECK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do the people that deal w/ my children at school, their friends and their parents thank me for making my kids learn to show respect to others and how to behave? Sure do. I can at least take my kids out in public or to someones home and know that they will behave. I did not "child proof" my home nor did the grandparents. My kids just learned that there are things out that you don't touch. That's it. Pretty easy. You get in the car on the plane, etc you better sit down and buckle up. Hmmm, which makes me wonder???? Do these parents deal w/ this same issue when trying to get this brat buckled into her carseat???? Hmmmm. Maybe Dr. Phil can have them on. LOL!!! He'd probably rip them. Just listening to them made me sick. There are times that you CAN NOT negotiate w/ a small child. Talking it thru does nothing. You can not have a debate w/ a 2 or 3 year old. The minute they figure out they can manipulate you like that they have you wrapped up so tight you'll never figure it out. My kids know when I say something I mean it. Now they will come back w/ the "don't yell" (bad about that at home at times) but this is after I've told them twice to do something. You don't want to hear me yell or raise my voice then you will get it done the first time. Just like they figured it out that they would get a spanking when they were younger they now know that if they don't want to get grounded, something taken away AND a raised voice they respond to my first command.

Today I was at a store and I was near the bathrooms and I could hear a kid in there carrying on and was in trouble. I could hear mom say something to her and then I knew she got a swat. I chuckled but I could tell this child was NOT getting beaten or abused. So I minded my own business. There were others around and right then in my head I thought if anyone says something I'm probably going to tell them to MYOB too as they DO NOT KNOW the situation and WHY that child is probably there in the first place. They also do not know if the parent has tried other means and they have failed and that a swat or spanking is the only thing that will work at a certain time. Which makes me remember a time when my oldest was a small toddler. She was in the basket seat at the store and she kept trying to stand up. I told her to sit down and when she stood up the 3rd time I swatted her lil behind (yes, she was buckled in). This elderly lady was on the same aisle and if looks could kill I'd have been 6' under. I just looked at her and said, "that swat hurt a heck of a lot less than her head would have if she would have fallen out and hit her head on the concrete floor". THERE!

I'm still wondering if these parents deal w/ this issue when buckling her into her carseat in the car???? Hmmmm. Dr. Phil????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or