Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 09:55 PM

181 posts, read 631,469 times

Advertisements

My daughter has a loft bed not just like the one showned but it has all the sides on it you said. She likes it but not as much as when she first got it and she was just turning 4 and she is almost 6 now. I think it depends on the child. She is fine but her brother who is 6 wouldn't do well as it sleeps funny. Once she is sleeping she is out. The space underneath is great for toys and other things we don't have dressers in ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 12:21 PM

308 posts, read 1,616,898 times
We purchased a bunk bed for our son when he was 2-y/o. It was time to get him a 'real' bed and we did not want to waste money with a toddler bed. We purchased a bunk bed with a full size on bottom & twin on top. He slept on the bottom and was not allowed on top at the time. He started using the top infrequently around 5-y/o (by his choice), and at 6- to 7-y/o he increased his sleep on top to more extended periods of time (once again, his choice) although he still sleeps on the bottom quite a bit as well.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Totally trained... never falls out of bed... rarely gets up until about 6am... climbs like a champ... and the loft is not higher than a normal bunk bed

here is a pic
http://www.citymattress.com/images/products/VP-SSS_Loft_Bed.jpg (broken link)
This is almost the identical set up I got for my son at age four. He begged for it - saw the set up in the store. It was wonderful! He enjoyed it for many yeas - changed the configuration around after he got older. Passed it on to my twin nephews!!!

Old 08-04-2008, 01:12 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
It seems like it is 50/50... but those who have done the bunk beds have found no problem... I really appreciate all of the feedback... I think we are going to get it... THANKS for the help.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:58 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
My son was in a bunk bed at age two. He was absolutely fine, but up a guard rail to keep him safe. The cute thing was he didn't realize he could get out of bed on his own! He would call for mommy when he woke up.

That said, we found out when we moved how awful and dangerous the beds were. We bought expensive beds (from a now defunct furniture place) but when they were taken apart, the 'safety' items to hold the beds together crumbled into pieces. I don't think I could do them again (God forbid)

We are now looking into trundle beds. They are great, and perfect space savers!

Old 08-05-2008, 07:16 AM

4,677 posts, read 2,060,496 times
My son didnt like his baby bed so we went and found him a bed he liked. We ended up picking a bunkbed with a futon instead of a bed on bottom. He loves it, sleeps in there every night and never has fallen out. But the futon is great so he can lay it out when his friends spend the night, or sit it up to read or play. Hes now five and still likes it a lot.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:27 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
I would buy it for my daughter who is 5 in a heartbeat. And I would never buy it for my son who is 3.5. It's not the age that matters, it's the child. My son scared me once with a fall when he was younger, never again I would attempt any heights for him.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:09 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Thanks a lot for the time you all took to respond... We ordered the loft... my daughter is so happy! It will be great in her room becaus of the space issue we have... got a five drawer dresser to go with it (I can only imagine a teenage girl dealing w/ that little dresser they have under the bunk LOL) It comes in 6 weeks! Now we have to start the PAINT, the Comforter, the actual STAGING! But that is the fun part

Old 08-07-2008, 08:52 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,056,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
Love bunk beds. My older boys used them. The problem I have found with some loft beds however is that they are too tall and like sskkc said could be too close to ceiling fans. Make sure you measure your room carefully. It sure wouldn't be fun to get home, build the thing and then find there is only two inches of head space available.

that was one of our problems we had "people" install a bunkbed only to realize that there was only about 7.5 inches of space from the mattress to the ceiling. and then realized the bunkbeds took up almost 70% of my kids room. we had to deal with it for 7 long and treacherous years last year the bottom bunk bed succombed to its demise and then my kids was forced to use the top bunk for the longest time then about 2 months ago he was climbing into bed and then the top collapsed and left him with a pretty bad bruise. so then we just had a couch put in his room. no injuries and lots of more space!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting