Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Story: family captive, trailer park, child abuse, brutal beatings, tyrannical man, religious beliefs

Old 08-13-2008, 10:47 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,403,792 times

Advertisements

Yes, another bizarre news story of a family who will never, I fear recover from a 'parent's' issues and most likely mental illness.

This occurred in Lavonia, GA--a small town close to the SC line. I have been to Lavonia and it was unremarkable--located in NE GA and there is 'not much' in this area. The other evening via a PBS special I learned that there is car racing in Lavonia and a great driver grew up in this area.

The news story reports that 'Dad', employed in a chicken plant, had held his family captive in a single wide mobile home for over 4 years. There were 3 children--13, 12 and a younger child. The 13 yr old had attended first grade. They had not been outside the trailer in 4 yrs except for a 2 hour visit on Easter to NC. 'Nobody'/neighbors in the trailer park noticed anything unusual. Cough.

The trailer was crawling with roaches and there was little food in the house. I can only imagine what that might have consisted of. The children suffer from malnutrition.

The 'Dad' is charged with rape and several types of child abuse and other charges. The children/wife are now in protective custody.

What can you say? I suppose after a few years their spirits were broken and they were too weak to try anymore. Certainly there must have been brutal beatings and threats and more.

The depths to which a 'human' can sink is truly something to be studied and understood until we no longer have such creatures among us.

There must be more to the story--where did they come from, what had transpired before the imprisonment.

I don't recommend it--but there is a disturbing made for TV movie that is shown too often that reminds me of this situation. 'Bastard Out of Carolina'--small rural town in the South, not much hope for a future, Mom marries a tyrannical ass of a man. I suppose that is similar to what happened here.

I hope the 'accused' doesn't have the audacity to say his religious beliefs prompted him to treat his family in this way. Tired of that excuse.

TakeAhike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 12:48 PM

909 posts, read 3,352,876 times
I remember years ago seeing something similar on Oprah. A man imprisoned his wife (no kids) in the home for a number of years. Obviously didn't start out that way. The relationship became more controlling over a long period until finally she was literally locked in the home. Her family couldn't even contact her because the phone was ripped out. The husband went to work everyday and all that. She finally escaped by breaking a window or something.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
I remember years ago seeing something similar on Oprah. A man imprisoned his wife (no kids) in the home for a number of years. Obviously didn't start out that way. The relationship became more controlling over a long period until finally she was literally locked in the home. Her family couldn't even contact her because the phone was ripped out. The husband went to work everyday and all that. She finally escaped by breaking a window or something.
It is horrible. I think the neighbors had to know something was wrong. Living in a single wide trailer--in a trailer park--that is cozy. All of them should go to jail for saying they didn't notice anything.

Over in Germany, or maybe Austria--seems like this story broke about the time that the new Pope was making headlines--anyway another 'Dad' had kept his daughter and maybe her child--too many bad stories--in an underground area --hidden from the world for maybe 20 years. The wife said 'She hadn't noticed anything unusual'. I'll see if I can find the story--absolutely bizarre and disgusting.

It is a good thing I was not living next door--I tend to notice things. They had to have made some sounds--unless they were bound and gagged while he was at the chicken factory. The local authorities need a bit of scrutiny also. Some things should never be--as long as there is a person of any integrity living. If they went to NC at Easter--I will assume there was some sort of family--I suppose those people had no idea of the living arrangements either? Jail for them, too.

I am not in the mood to hear such things today--nor any day really but the idea that the neighbors had no idea that anything was wrong is the most difficult for me to swallow.

TakeAhike

Old 08-13-2008, 05:17 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,418,964 times
Just for the record, "Bastard out of Carolina" is a book, one that I believe is semi-autobiographical. It's a horrible story just like the one you related. It breaks my heart to hear of such stories of abuse. I likewise can't understand how the neighbors never knew anyone was in there.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
Just for the record, "Bastard out of Carolina" is a book, one that I believe is semi-autobiographical. It's a horrible story just like the one you related. It breaks my heart to hear of such stories of abuse. I likewise can't understand how the neighbors never knew anyone was in there.
I have a mental image of 'The Neighbors'--straight out of 'Deliverance'.

'Bastard Out of Carolina' is an awful story. I know I have seen it at least 3 times--and really thought how could a producer allow a child to make this film but we know the answer to that.

Sorry to hear it is semi-biographical. Not surprised, sadly.

But how on earth can you keep 4 people in a single wide trailer for 4 years and keep this a secret from the neighbors, authorities and not have someone in the family upset enough to get involved. Sick.

The children must be have developmental language problems as well as deep psychological problems. All I can think is that they were all too sick and weak from starving to care anymore.

This man could have obtained some form of assistance and done many other things. There are many kind people in the area and they would have tried to help. Senseless.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:43 PM

128 posts, read 354,091 times
you know, its weird because this stuff made me sad and sick when i was single. but now that i'm a mom of a two year...it makes me want to vomit. it hurts my heart so bad to hear about children being harmed. i grew up in a bad environment...made me question wanting to bring a child into this world at all. i'm glad i did because of my love and obsession to my son. but i wish i could just take all these beautiful little angels into my house and love them and take care of them and show them that they are God's gift. those poor kids! the other posts in this forum are depressing too. i wanted to throw up when i heard on the news last night about the grandma that left her grandbaby in the car for over eight hours. 3 yr old. someone should forget HER in a hot car for 8 hrs!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 05:42 PM

Surely Nancy Grace will investigate this. I want to hear what his reasons were--besides the fact that he is an insane monster.

The thing that still gets me is 'The neighbors didn't notice anything'...I want to see and hear from these neighbors who should be in the next cell.

It is truly unacceptable for anyone to be able to do this to his family.

ETA:

From today's AJC/'Attorney says Lavonia Man is Innocent'>>>
http://tinyurl.com/58pua8 (broken link)

If you are facing charges like this it would be foolish to admit your guilt. So, the taxpayers of Franklin County will provide an attorney and he will get to tell his story.

I hope the Prosecutor asks: 'Did you realize there is a state law that requires children to attend school?'

What sort of answer can you give? No--then mental competency must become an issue.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 08-15-2008 at 06:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting