Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 05:07 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,332 times

Advertisements

WE just moved from our home state to another. Our oldest is 15 a boy. At home he didn't have a My Space and he wanted one here to keep i touch with his friends. What rules do other parents have with their teens when it comes to My Space
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 05:20 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
They are only allowed to access it when I am around and seeing as the only computer we have is in my living room it works well for us. I also have total access to their accounts and check on it everyday.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:27 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,459,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
They are only allowed to access it when I am around and seeing as the only computer we have is in my living room it works well for us. I also have total access to their accounts and check on it everyday.

How old are your kids? I think I would have deeply resented being checked on every day. I can understand rules and guidelines but I don't need mother reading all my e-mails. To me that sounds more of an obsession.

To OP, I would be careful with MySpace and the content your kids put on it. Many schools check up on it for drinking, fights, etc. Also, prospective employers look at these things for details about a persons life. And as well, it can be used as a tool to prey on teenagers. Just make sure you warn your children of the risks and dangers, and make sure they are clear with what you want.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
How old are your kids? I think I would have deeply resented being checked on every day. I can understand rules and guidelines but I don't need mother reading all my e-mails. To me that sounds more of an obsession.

To OP, I would be careful with MySpace and the content your kids put on it. Many schools check up on it for drinking, fights, etc. Also, prospective employers look at these things for details about a persons life. And as well, it can be used as a tool to prey on teenagers. Just make sure you warn your children of the risks and dangers, and make sure they are clear with what you want.

Nope not an obsession just more of concerned mother. My kids knew the rules when we set up the account. The other option is that they could not have a myspace account, like I said they know the rules and accepted them.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:07 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
I would get your own myspace account and make your son add you as a friend so you will be able to see what is on his page. My parents didn't keep a close enough eye on my sister and she ended up talking to a pedophile on myspace (who she thought was another 14 yo of course). My parents found out about it b/c my aunt saw it when checking on her daughter's myspace (b/c the cousins were "friends" so their accounts were linked).

Old 08-13-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I would get your own myspace account and make your son add you as a friend so you will be able to see what is on his page. My parents didn't keep a close enough eye on my sister and she ended up talking to a pedophile on myspace (who she thought was another 14 yo of course). My parents found out about it b/c my aunt saw it when checking on her daughter's myspace (b/c the cousins were "friends" so their accounts were linked).

It is more common then people think. The estimate is that some one in five children (mostly girls) has had unknown contact with someone they thought to be in their age group, but turned out to be much older.

Creepy, I know, which is why I would advise anyone to be careful.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:46 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,332 times
He did add me and we just told him we wanted his password. I think that too many kids are left unwatched on My Space. Where we lived in MIchigan we were close to the girl who ended up in I can't remember where in another country and she went to meet this guy who she was going to marry. THey were on Dr. Phil. I just think today many parents in general give teens too many things and forget they are not adults they are still kids. Just looking at his friends I see I might need to make a few phone calls as I know some Mom's do not know what there kids are putting on these spaces.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:37 PM

788 posts, read 2,110,763 times
My 13 year old daughter is not allowed to have one - my 17 year old son is - but just recently. And I read everything - if I choose to. My house - my rules. There is no expectation of privacy in my house - there is nothing to hide. I don't rifle through my children's things constantly - or sit and read their emails all of the time - but they know that I could at any time. The only thing that I hold sacred is a journal/diary and I have told them that if there was something that I was worried about that I could read that too. It's not a mean thing and they don't seem to mind. They understand that I am just worried about them. It causes no hard feelings in our house.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post

How many children do you have? What ages are your children? I know when I didn't have kids that I would have seen it as excessive, but once I had kids my ideas changed. There is alot of evil in this world and it is my job to protect them while they are still in my home. They don't always see a threat for what it is, especially on the internet.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
How many children do you have? What ages are your children? I know when I didn't have kids that I would have seen it as excessive, but once I had kids my ideas changed. There is alot of evil in this world and it is my job to protect them while they are still in my home. They don't always see a threat for what it is, especially on the internet.
I do not have kids, I am speaking from personal experiences. My parents raised me in a way so that when they told me to do or not do something, I did it without them having to check up on me. They told me never to give out personal information about myself online for strangers to read, so I did not do so. I also never talked to random strangers.

I'm sorry that you don't trust your kids. Seems like a personal problem. Reading through their stuff everyday, again, borders obsessive and shows a lack of trust. I'm willing to wager that most parents don't read through their child's emails, either at all or every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting