Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:21 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,986 times

Advertisements

I don't buy fundraising stuff at all, as it's all overpriced junk and such a minimal amount actually goes to the charity/group in question. (I'm talking about $10 wrapping paper and that frozen cookie dough, etc.) That said, we homeschool so we are never asked to participate in fundraising... and if we were, I'd say no. I think it's equally rude to ask people to buy such junk in the first place. Girl Scout cookies are the exception of course... we buy a couple of boxes each spring! Oh, and I'd buy a community cookbook from a church or something... just not school fundraisers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 09:41 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,155 times
I have to admit getting annoyed when I received an email from an acquaintance to buy something from her son's pre-school fund-raiser. I don't know what's more wrong: a private, expensive pre-school in an up-scale area having a fund-raiser or my acquaintance soliciting me when she knows very well we don't have a lot of money to spare.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:45 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
It really begs the larger question. We spend more money per student than any other country on the planet. What's more, the amount of money spent per student in this country has DOUBLED in the past twenty years--after inflation.

Yet, without fail, our children are being dispatched out into the world like little panhandlers to raise money. Why? And why aren't we demanding more ROI out of our schools for their decidedly generous funding?

Old 08-18-2008, 10:03 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,983,863 times
It is for candles....and actually I think they are quite nice and plan on buying them for myself.

I'm not disputing the fact that I don't enjoy fundraisers at all. My son also has to sell popcorn for boyscouts and we have never asked anyone to buy. I am not going to particpate in any other child's fundraiser again and will focus only on the ones my children are doing.

I just felt that relatives help each other out and did not e-mail this relative out of the blue to ask for money. She is his Godmother for gosh sakes and she has asked us to buy from her kids on more than one occasion. My own brother never asked me to buy anything from his kids...so I would never ask him.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:46 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,614,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
It is for candles....and actually I think they are quite nice and plan on buying them for myself.

I'm not disputing the fact that I don't enjoy fundraisers at all. My son also has to sell popcorn for boyscouts and we have never asked anyone to buy. I am not going to particpate in any other child's fundraiser again and will focus only on the ones my children are doing.

I just felt that relatives help each other out and did not e-mail this relative out of the blue to ask for money. She is his Godmother for gosh sakes and she has asked us to buy from her kids on more than one occasion. My own brother never asked me to buy anything from his kids...so I would never ask him.
Ok, so candles are a very specific thing that people either love or hate. Perhaps she felt obligated to buy from her own child and didn't really want them to begin with. I say that because I rarely buy candles at all because I only care for one or two scents. I doubt I'd be inclined to buy them from a fundraiser myself.

My suggestion is to let this roll off your back and not take it personally, for I wouldn't have meant it personally if I turned you down on a candle fundraiser, so maybe she didn't either. Then I'd try a different fundraiser (not the popcorn though as it's like candles-either they love it or they hate it) and see if she makes a purchase then. If she declines, then I'd be open and discuss with her your dissappointment since you have previously helped in their fundraisers.

I have dealt with so many fundraisers that I would never have thought to be offended when someone turned me down. It's not like I made these things myself or that I'd lose money on them. I just don't put that much importance on them I guess.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I don't buy fundraising stuff at all, as it's all overpriced junk and such a minimal amount actually goes to the charity/group in question. (I'm talking about $10 wrapping paper and that frozen cookie dough, etc.) That said, we homeschool so we are never asked to participate in fundraising... and if we were, I'd say no. I think it's equally rude to ask people to buy such junk in the first place. Girl Scout cookies are the exception of course... we buy a couple of boxes each spring! Oh, and I'd buy a community cookbook from a church or something... just not school fundraisers.
We homeschool also. But there are other activities that have fundraisers. While I do agree the candles we are selling are expensive (there are some cheap things)....they are definitely not junk.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Ok, so candles are a very specific thing that people either love or hate. Perhaps she felt obligated to buy from her own child and didn't really want them to begin with. I say that because I rarely buy candles at all because I only care for one or two scents. I doubt I'd be inclined to buy them from a fundraiser myself.

My suggestion is to let this roll off your back and not take it personally, for I wouldn't have meant it personally if I turned you down on a candle fundraiser, so maybe she didn't either. Then I'd try a different fundraiser (not the popcorn though as it's like candles-either they love it or they hate it) and see if she makes a purchase then. If she declines, then I'd be open and discuss with her your dissappointment since you have previously helped in their fundraisers.

I have dealt with so many fundraisers that I would never have thought to be offended when someone turned me down. It's not like I made these things myself or that I'd lose money on them. I just don't put that much importance on them I guess.
Thanks. I get it. But it's not the fundraiser I'm placing the importance on...just the family thing. It doesn't matter, I'll never ask her again, nor will I participate in hers.

Thanks again everyone for the imput.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:35 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,128 times
Yes it is very tacky of your relative to not buy some little something at least, from your son.And it shouldn't matter that you did or did not buy from her...the point being family 'helps' family. I would not buy from her kids again just because...then I would just forget this incident......let it roll on off...
Personally I never bought stuff from strange kids at the door, or others that we knew. But when it is for relatives kids, I am all about it....even if I buy the cheapest thing on the list and give it to Goodwill 6 months later or just send a small donation to them in the mail ........

The question was about the lack of reciprocation........won't even go to how I really feel about 'fundraising' to begin with.....heh heh

Old 08-18-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Yes it is very tacky of your relative to not buy some little something at least, from your son.And it shouldn't matter that you did or did not buy from her...the point being family 'helps' family. I would not buy from her kids again just because...then I would just forget this incident......let it roll on off...
Personally I never bought stuff from strange kids at the door, or others that we knew. But when it is for relatives kids, I am all about it....even if I buy the cheapest thing on the list and give it to Goodwill 6 months later or just send a small donation to them in the mail ........

The question was about the lack of reciprocation........won't even go to how I really feel about 'fundraising' to begin with.....heh heh
Crazyma, you need to open up a therapy boot camp on the parenting board like you have on the real estate board!

Old 08-18-2008, 12:19 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
It really begs the larger question. We spend more money per student than any other country on the planet. What's more, the amount of money spent per student in this country has DOUBLED in the past twenty years--after inflation.

Yet, without fail, our children are being dispatched out into the world like little panhandlers to raise money. Why? And why aren't we demanding more ROI out of our schools for their decidedly generous funding?
Because we have good schools with leaky roofs, teachers spending $100s of their own money for supplies, deficits which means programs like music and art are cut out totally, schools closing so children have to be bussed 40 miles one way to school...I'm sure a lot of us could go on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting