Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 01:32 PM

909 posts, read 3,351,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
When I worked in the ER at several hospitals in Cincinnati and in New Jersey,,,I would say 4 out of 6 babies we 'coded' were co-sleepers that died of suffication... Seeing that was enough for us to decide against it... They are just as close in a co-sleeper right next to the bed. I would rather wake up and nurse then have it be convienent and nurse in bed...no way. Not worth it.

eta..4 out of 6 is a generalization... I could not tell you how many we actually coded but I would say 80% of them were co-sleepers that sufficated from mom or dad...
There are a lot of online resources that show you how to cosleep safely, if one is interested. There have also been studies showing that cosleeping can be safer than not in terms of preventing SIDS. I'm not a regular cosleeper myself, or necessarily advocating cosleeping. However, I do want to point out that since NOT cosleeping is a relatively new factor in human history (as others have pointed out) there are ways it can be done without suffocating a child. A little common sense, a little awareness, and your baby/child can sleep safely next to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 01:38 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,523,584 times
I am sure the parents of the dead kids probably thought the same thing...What is the difference if the baby is in arm's reach right next to your bed? And the mother might have all the awareness and common sense but what about the father?
Even if your the most aware mother in the world, there is a risk of suffocation...it might be small but it is still there...Why even take that small risk when you can not have that risk at all by just putting the baby next to your bed?
I don't understand...you said Studies have showed that co-sleeping can be safer than not in terms of preventing SIDS...What is it safer than?

Old 08-28-2008, 02:22 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,560,740 times
I just looked up co-sleeping to get the accurate description of it - since I wasn't 100 percent sure :

Cosleeping (sometimes spelled co-sleeping, and also known as bed sharing or "having a family bed") is the practice of having your infant in your bed with you during sleep. Cosleeping promotes breastfeeding and bonding, and it is safer than crib/cot sleeping when practiced correctly. Cosleeping beyond the breastfeeding years is common in many non-Western cultures, and many Western families choose to extend the cosleeping phase for two years and beyond.

Like I said before, I didn't co-sleep with my kids when they were babies, I didn't breastfeed either, so I guess I never considered it then. I did sleep with my kids on the couch dozens of times with them on my chest after a 3 a.m. feeding.

But now my kids do sleep in my room many nights. Either on the floor on an air mattress or in my bed, depending on whether dad is home or not. Usually I'm the one getting injured though from elbows to the face, getting kicked in the head, and pushed out of the bed They sleep in my room mostly when my husband is out of town. For us, it's fun, we read books, talk about their day at school, I answer funny little questions they have to ask me, I tell them stories about growing up and my life, we watch movies in the room, cuddle. For us it is all about bonding and for them it's like a little slumber party with mom. I don't know if this is considered "co-sleeping", but we sure do love it in our home.

When I went to Sicily, many people there co-slept or shared rooms, adults too. This is just part of some people's culture.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:49 PM

4,138 posts, read 11,440,552 times
Why do you care so much about what other parents are doing?

The Western world is one of the only cultures that believes children must sleep seperately. Most cultures have the mother and children together for sleeping.

It brings children security.

If more people did this, perhaps people wouldn't feel the need to want to strangle others.

Dawn

Old 08-28-2008, 02:51 PM

My infant coslept with us until age 2 and now he won't be able to function in society! Wow, that is the biggest leap I have ever heard!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntobeme View Post
I'm with you... The time that my husband and I get togethor in bed is part of out alone time with eachother. It's good to snuggle up next to him and only him.
I have a friend who has 4 kids and they all co sleep. Their oldest is almost 6. they reciently upgraded to two queen sized beds just so they would all fit.
I know that people love it and like to be close to their children, but dont you think that in a way this is bad for the kids too? How are they suppose to be able to function in society if they sleep with mommy and daddy their whole life.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:54 PM

This is part of the reason why we homeschool. I would miss them too much. I have left the decision up to them each year though and just offered again to let them go. I may eventually send them to go back to work, but for now, I am enjoying it!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
LOL, I don't work and I still hate being away from them. I can't wait for them to get home from school sometimes, drives me nuts.

It's nice to see others wanting the closeness with their kids.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:05 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,887,186 times
Quote:
When I worked in the ER at several hospitals in Cincinnati and in New Jersey,,,I would say 4 out of 6 babies we 'coded' were co-sleepers that died of suffication... Seeing that was enough for us to decide against it... They are just as close in a co-sleeper right next to the bed. I would rather wake up and nurse then have it be convienent and nurse in bed...no way. Not worth it.

eta..4 out of 6 is a generalization... I could not tell you how many we actually coded but I would say 80% of them were co-sleepers that sufficated from mom or dad...
I just wanted to give kudos to you. I am a co-sleeper, and if I ever had more babies, I would probably still be a co-sleeper. However, of the few people that have pointed negatives toward co-sleeping, you have been the only one to have an actual concern for us to think about, with real-life experience. This kind of post allows more constructive debate then those who have mere generalizations. Hopefully I can rep you.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:36 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,953,621 times
Quote:

That's interesting, as everything I've read says that safe cosleeping is far safer, SIDS-wise, than crib sleeping.

Though I suppose not everyone cosleeps safely (baby between mom and a rail, NOT between mom and dad, no blankets near baby, no pillows near baby, etc).

Old 08-28-2008, 03:39 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,953,621 times
Here is a SIDS/cosleeping fact sheet, with studies cited, if you are interested. Cosleeping and SIDS Fact Sheet

Old 08-28-2008, 04:21 PM

thank you! I was trying to find some stats.

Dawn

QUOTE=beanandpumpkin;5033669]Here is a SIDS/cosleeping fact sheet, with studies cited, if you are interested. Cosleeping and SIDS Fact Sheet[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting