Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 05:08 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,525,563 times

Advertisements

I also wanted to add that I am talking about suffocation and co-sleeping not co-sleeping and sids. Far more infants die from suffocation then sids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 06:32 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,331,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
I also wanted to add that I am talking about suffocation and co-sleeping not co-sleeping and sids. Far more infants die from suffocation then sids.
I never heard of a child dyeing of suffocation unless parents were under influence, I'm sure of course you have more experience, but I would still like to see any reference to the claim that more children die of suffocation then sids.
Additionally, I would like to know if you have any studies how many children died of suffocation with parents with and without being under influence or alcohol.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:06 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,328,437 times
Quote:
When I worked in the ER at several hospitals in Cincinnati and in New Jersey,,,I would say 4 out of 6 babies we 'coded' were co-sleepers that died of suffication... Seeing that was enough for us to decide against it... They are just as close in a co-sleeper right next to the bed. I would rather wake up and nurse then have it be convienent and nurse in bed...no way. Not worth it.

eta..4 out of 6 is a generalization... I could not tell you how many we actually coded but I would say 80% of them were co-sleepers that sufficated from mom or dad...

Actually I failed to mention this. I guess the first time i hear co-sleeping was when the RN's at Brigham and Women's in Boston told me never ever to have babies in the bed with you! It could definitely smother them and could die as a result. She mentioned a few cases at that time within a short time frame that it was happening (in 2005 when I had my twins)...actually one right happening in my town.....so I was petrified and they slept in a room they shared....I was so nervous to be a first time mom to boot and having twins on top of it made it more stressful!

Danielle, thank you for bringing this to light,. I totally forgot that! Maybe that is what originally got me nervous about the whole co sleeping thing..I understand some of the people here "better" after hearing diff. stories though...

Old 08-28-2008, 07:08 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,955,035 times
On the natural mothering site I also frequent (where nearly all of the babes cosleep) I've read about only one baby suffocating in the 5 or so years I've been reading. Not scientific evidence, of course, but I really don't think it's much of a danger if parents are doing it safely (which most educated parents are).

Old 08-28-2008, 07:16 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,331,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
On the natural mothering site I also frequent (where nearly all of the babes cosleep) I've read about only one baby suffocating in the 5 or so years I've been reading. Not scientific evidence, of course, but I really don't think it's much of a danger if parents are doing it safely (which most educated parents are).
mothering.com???

Old 08-29-2008, 09:08 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,903,741 times
My understanding is that there is a big difference between people who are co-sleeping because it is an educated choice they have made and people who are co-sleeping because of financial constraints (ie can't afford a crib). In America, people who have made an educated choice to co-sleep are more likely to read up on how to do so safely and what steps they should take to make their sleep environment as infant-friendly as possible. (In other places where co-sleeping is the norm, they have societal common knowledge about this) If we promoted safe co-sleeping tips as much as we promoted safe crib-sleeping tips (ie no bumpers, no blankets, no toys, back sleeping, etc.) then I think that this would be much less of a problem. To say that people shouldn't co-sleep because sometimes babies suffocate is not the most responsible stance, rather we should be educating people on safe co-sleeping habits just like we educate them on safe crib-sleeping habits.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:52 PM

909 posts, read 3,352,483 times
Quote:
I am sure the parents of the dead kids probably thought the same thing...What is the difference if the baby is in arm's reach right next to your bed? And the mother might have all the awareness and common sense but what about the father?
Even if your the most aware mother in the world, there is a risk of suffocation...it might be small but it is still there...Why even take that small risk when you can not have that risk at all by just putting the baby next to your bed?
I don't understand...you said Studies have showed that co-sleeping can be safer than not in terms of preventing SIDS...What is it safer than?
safer than baby sleeping in a crib in a different room. Cosleeping is defined very broadly but includes all forms of sleeping in the same room. But I understand you are talking about sleeping in the same bed.

As for your top question, Some babies just WON'T sleep unless they're up against another body. My baby wouldn't the first couple weeks of life. I mean she did at first, but after a feeding, no. And she was in a Arms Reach cosleeper right next to the bed. She just wouldn't go back to sleep. Also when she was 6 months old and we were traveling. Again, she's start out that way, but after a feeding, no. I turned my back to her and butted up so she was against me, and she went right to sleep. I don't know why. Normally she slept just fine on her own. Other people's kids are like that 24/7 for the first couple of years, and I'm sure they don't know why either. Sometimes you do what you have to so everyone can sleep, which becomes a huge priority when no one is getting any.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:57 PM

909 posts, read 3,352,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
Actually I failed to mention this. I guess the first time i hear co-sleeping was when the RN's at Brigham and Women's in Boston told me never ever to have babies in the bed with you! It could definitely smother them and could die as a result. She mentioned a few cases at that time within a short time frame that it was happening (in 2005 when I had my twins)...actually one right happening in my town.....so I was petrified and they slept in a room they shared....I was so nervous to be a first time mom to boot and having twins on top of it made it more stressful!

Danielle, thank you for bringing this to light,. I totally forgot that! Maybe that is what originally got me nervous about the whole co sleeping thing..I understand some of the people here "better" after hearing diff. stories though...
This happened in the same hospital I delivered both my babies, and they make it a point to tell you not to sleep with the baby in the bed. In that case, both the mother and father AND baby slept in the same hospital bed. Really tragic, but I think most people would agree that a hospital bed is not conducive to safe cosleeping for 2 adults plus a baby. I think it was unusual that it happened in that hospital because they have a policy that the baby is in the room with you, but if you want to nap or take a shower you must send the baby back to the nursery. They bring the baby to you for regular night feedings, but after that you send them back.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:32 PM

5 posts, read 7,274 times
my wife is paying for that now as she lets our son sleep with her and now our twins wont go to bed unless someone lays with them. i agree its not healthy for the children i keep on my wife about letting our son sleep in our bed. they become too dependant on someone next to them and dont learn how to console them selves to sleep

Old 08-29-2008, 03:26 PM

128 posts, read 354,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concerneduncle View Post
my wife is paying for that now as she lets our son sleep with her and now our twins wont go to bed unless someone lays with them. i agree its not healthy for the children i keep on my wife about letting our son sleep in our bed. they become too dependant on someone next to them and dont learn how to console them selves to sleep

okay, i'm going to get a lot of hate mail for this...but GOD FORBID your child DEPEND on someone!! are you listening to what you just said?? you may not understand what your wife is feeling...though i would think as a father you would...but she WANTS them to depend on her. she's their mother. i am all for kids learning to put themselves to bed...when their about five or six, maybe even older!! and definitely, if you are cosleeping with an infant, you should be very cautious of SIDS...they do have those cosleepers...but i want to know what's wrong with your toddlers sleeping with you? parents nowadays are trying so darn hard to make their kiddos become independent, what's wrong with letting them be kids?? in a few years they aren't going to need you at all and you'll WISH you had them close to cuddle with. and i think every day about what if something tragic happened to my son and how i don't want to regret anytime i could have been close to him. sure, my son squirms around a lot and i get whatever sleep i can...but i wouldn't give up those moments in bed where i can just lay there snuggled up with him...or watching him sleep next to my husband. those moments are priceless. enjoy your kids, love on them, give them all your affection, because even if nothing bad happens, they still grow up some day and you'll wish you had all those wonderful memories with them. it may seem inconvenient to some...but not to me. my son is more important than whether or not i'm getting any that night or if mommy needs her beauty sleep. i'm glad my husband feels the same way. he loves having him in bed with us.

personal choice i guess...i just don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting