U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 08:04 PM

2,588 posts, read 3,660,555 times

Advertisements

(This is just a little vent to distract myself. Nothing of any value is contained within.)

Well, mine is trying. She is standing across the room, staring at me, shrieking her head off. My ears literally hurt. Now she's on the floor screaming. Even my 3 yo is covering her ears and hiding in the living room.

All I can say is that if this is what she can do at 15 months, then I might be in some serious pain by the time she is 2 and will need some moral support. Just a head's up and thanks for listening to my oh-so-common tale of woe.

I should add that I think, I think, this is because I wouldn't let her have a tube of toothpaste. I'm a horrible mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 08:57 PM

605 posts, read 1,550,348 times
I teach high school. A couple years ago, one of my students had to carry one of those computerized dolls that can cry at any time and the "mom" has to turn the key and hold it until the baby stops crying. The "baby" had interrupted class 10 times, and the student complained that her doll was broken because no real baby ever cries that much. I told her my 18 month old screamed for 3 hours the night before and we never figured out what was wrong. She didn't believe me. She said, "babies don't do that". I replied, "Come visit me when you have a child; then we'll talk".

Old 08-20-2008, 10:37 PM

Oh, that's a funny story about the teen-ager. I'm sure at that age I wouldn't have believed it either. It's probably for the best, otherwise I would never have had children.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:18 AM

7,691 posts, read 9,087,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
I should add that I think, I think, this is because I wouldn't let her have a tube of toothpaste. I'm a horrible mother.
My daughter would be in timeout for screaming. She got timeout twice for screaming before realizing that screaming = timeout. Just a hint to try.

And unless the 15-month old is right in your ear, I'm sure she cannot pierce your ear drum.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:10 AM

19,115 posts, read 13,815,169 times
I understand and boy they can really be loud! She's just showing you that she is angry! Now it's up to you to show her that you do not approve of the way she is acting. Time out does wok for many. My daughter tells her now 3 year old to go to his bedroom because she doesn't want to hear it! Even at 15 months they understand what you are telling them. Believe me!! She can already see it bothers you and is an effective way to get to you. Time to let her know you are the boss here! My daughter had lungs that could have been heard around the block so I can sympathize!

Old 08-21-2008, 09:34 PM

2,367 posts, read 3,916,236 times
Oh I feel for you!!!! Now that it's been 24+ hours, I sure hope she's finished screaming! Like the previous poster, I also sent my child to her room if she chose to scream (and at 4, she does still occasionally scream just for attention or to register her anger at mommy and she still goes to her room because I refuse to listen to it.)

Regarding toothpaste, the same 4 year old once DID eat nearly a tube of toothpaste (the yummy kind her older sister had just gotten at the dentist.) I had to call poison control and they determined that she hadn't had enough to cause problems (though they did tell me to give her a full glass of milk to help absorb it.)

In any case, you have my total empathy.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:33 PM

Thanks for the sympathy. Yes, the screaming did eventually end, of course. I was just amazed at the lung capacity. I thought my older daughter had strong lungs, but I am quickly learning what strong means. I think I'll take the suggestion of putting her into time-outs. It can't hurt to try.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:54 AM

7,691 posts, read 9,087,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
Thanks for the sympathy. Yes, the screaming did eventually end, of course. I was just amazed at the lung capacity. I thought my older daughter had strong lungs, but I am quickly learning what strong means. I think I'll take the suggestion of putting her into time-outs. It can't hurt to try.
Trust me, when you look into her eyes and tell her that "Mommy is not happy," she might just melt into tears.

I've also learned that Peanut Butter is good for screamers. A nice big spoonful of it. I was also suggested to try a spoonful of straight cinnamon - just pop it into her mouth when she's screaming. My mother suggested it.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:24 AM

13 posts, read 29,533 times
I don't want to hear this (no pun intended) my 11 month old has a very strong voice and is not afraid to use it, it's cute when she screams now....yikes!

Old 08-26-2008, 01:52 AM

3,415 posts, read 4,540,227 times
When you took the toothpaste away did you give her anything else at the same time to distract her? Just pointing their attention in another direction is often helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting