U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-21-2008, 08:18 AM

282 posts, read 797,708 times

Advertisements

My 6.5 year old has always been a very easy going child who has never had any problems sleeping over and staying at friends or families houses for a night or two. This is a child who at the age of 2.5 months started staying over family members homes, etc...............never, EVER, has there been any problems. He always has so much fun he runs off without even saying goodbye and almost forgets we exist, I think...until recently. All of a sudden, he no longer wants to sleep over people's houses--because he misses us too much, and sometimes, if he even goes over his friends house for the day, he gets upset when I leave. I am thinking this is just a developmental phase...and possibly some anxiety about starting 1st grade in a new school in about two weeks. Has anyone else ever experienced this? And, yes, I work in the child protection field and I have already thought about him experiencing some sort of trauma, but I have pretty much ruled that possibility out. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 02:48 PM

788 posts, read 1,429,091 times
I think as they get older they go through this. School is a big thing and major changes are coming. If it's happening over the summer - it could be because his schedule is all our of wack - kids get used to the school year and then summer can really throw them for a loop!
I'll bet it gets better in a few weeks

Old 08-21-2008, 03:00 PM

3,842 posts, read 6,872,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaK View Post
My 6.5 year old has always been a very easy going child who has never had any problems sleeping over and staying at friends or families houses for a night or two. This is a child who at the age of 2.5 months started staying over family members homes, etc...............never, EVER, has there been any problems. He always has so much fun he runs off without even saying goodbye and almost forgets we exist, I think...until recently. All of a sudden, he no longer wants to sleep over people's houses--because he misses us too much, and sometimes, if he even goes over his friends house for the day, he gets upset when I leave. I am thinking this is just a developmental phase...and possibly some anxiety about starting 1st grade in a new school in about two weeks. Has anyone else ever experienced this? And, yes, I work in the child protection field and I have already thought about him experiencing some sort of trauma, but I have pretty much ruled that possibility out. Any thoughts?
There could be a ton of reasons..

Let's see.....

New school.

First grade.

Bingo.

Completely normal.

Maybe talk to him & reassure him over the fears he may be having. Sounds like he needs mommy & daddy to let him know it is going to be ok.

He's 6 & still needs this reassurance from his parents.

Heck, I'm in my mid30s & still need at times some reassurance from my mom & dad when starting new things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting