Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 07:47 AM

589 posts, read 1,635,684 times

Advertisements

Are you feeling any better today, mama?

I really like some of the ideas in here. Most importantly to your health and well-being, make sure you have them 'confined' to a safe area of the house where you can be comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 12:42 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times
lots of movies and tv watching, I am so glad mine are older now, except now that I think about it they don't hesitate to wake me up when I am feeling bad to ask me something. LOL

Old 08-23-2008, 01:15 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,887 times
I'm sick too! And I always seem to get it when my husband works. Wait, that is all the time...so no wonder I get sick when he works!

I only have some kind of cold and so far it has been mostly a sore throat. We went to the farmers' market (had to, we were out of veggies!), the coop, and then a snack at the coffee shop where I hoped the coffee would perk me up. Now its lunchtime and I don't want to even eat! I have that dazed, eyes half closed look. I plan on letting my older one watch a movie or two. Hopefully my youngest will have fun chasing the cat around. The key for me is to not try to sleep--it just won't work and then I will get crabby because my body thinks it is going to sleep.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:11 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,671,921 times
I think we all just do the best we can when we're sick and have to take care of small children. If you have a fenced yard and the weather permits you could sit on a chaise lounge and watch them play. If they have to be inside, watching tv/videos, listening to songs, coloring, simple games, etc. are the best you can do. Don't get down on yourself about this. Caring for children without help is a very difficult situation to deal with when you're sick.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 907 times
When I am sick I talk to the kids (I have a set of twins and a 2 yr old) and tell them momma is not feeling well and then give the options of coloring playing with clay or watching TV . Of course , you can give them other choices for younger kids.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:11 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,243 times
I feel your pain, I've just gotten my second cold in a row after just getting over one two weeks ago! seems like every time we go outside there's a kid coughing right in our face, grrr. Anyways, I've been lucky these times that it was just colds and the worst first couple of days fell on the weekend so DH could help with DS and take him out. Otherwise, it's, like others said, TV, also songs and audiobooks work well when I can't read due to sore throat. Also the Ipad or phone will keep DS entertained for hours, we try to really limit it but when I'm sick it's a godsend. If I'm really feeling bad for more than a couple of days I'll try to have an on-call babysitter come in for a couple of hours to play with DS, take him out for a walk etc. Also I always try to keep a few new toys or activities hidden away so I can pull something new out in an emergency that he can play with. Hope you feel better soon, us mommies don't get sick days!

Old 11-11-2012, 06:57 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
I have been sick for a few days...I always get their colds. They seem to be feeling better, but not me!
Anyway, what do you do with them when you are sick? I feel bad b/c we are couped up in the house and all we are doing is just watching tv. The last 3 days has just been tv, tv, and more tv. I try and turn it off and go play with them, but they always want to be on me and want me to read andmy throat is killing me. (I go to the Dr tomorrow) So back to the tv we go.
Just curious what you all do. I have toddler twins (21 months)
Same as you, basically. I'd probably try to drag myself out of the house and take them someplace so at least they would leave me alone a little. We have some places where you can pay and your kids can play in an indoor playground and you can sit someplace comfortable and watch. If you have those, it's a good option if they'll go on their own and play a little.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:30 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Moms get SICK?! My mother never did. I learned from her, how not to ever be too sick to take care of the kids. Seriously? You just deal with it. You do what you can and try not to sweat the small stuff. If they have to exist on breakfast cereal and sandwiches until you feel well enough to take better care of them, that's what you do.

When a parent gets sick, it's a perfect opportunity for your kids to learn how to become a bit more independent. Sometimes you have to let go of a few things, in order to get yourself well and back on your feet. Getting well means getting some rest, nourishment, fluids, etc. If that means you're laying on the couch watching tv...well, then that's what it means. Get better soon. It's tough...being in that role of caretaker, when you're the one who needs some caretaking. You make it through though.

Last edited by beachmel; 11-11-2012 at 07:38 AM..

Old 11-11-2012, 07:37 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Same as you, basically. I'd probably try to drag myself out of the house and take them someplace so at least they would leave me alone a little. We have some places where you can pay and your kids can play in an indoor playground and you can sit someplace comfortable and watch. If you have those, it's a good option if they'll go on their own and play a little.
I totally disagree with this. When you're sick, if you don't have to go out to public places, you shouldn't. There are a whole lot of immune-compromised individuals out there who could die, simply because a sick person didn't feel like staying home. An otherwise healty individual can generally recover, pretty quickly, from contagious ailments. Not everyone is equally as fortunate. I wish more people would realize this and take it into consideration.

We should all ask ourselves, when we get sick, "Do I NEED to go out to get something, or can I get a healthy person to get what I need, so that I don't spread whatever I've got?"

Old 11-11-2012, 08:33 AM

17,372 posts, read 16,511,485 times
I feel for you. I didn't get sick very often when my kids were little - thank goodness, but when I did get sick (fever, vomiting, flu) those were some mighty miserable days.

We just watched a lot of t.v. on those days. Sometimes I would put some toys and books by the bed and let them play there on the floor. It wasn't something that we normally did so it was a new and different sort of entertainment for them.

Hope you feel better soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting