Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 08:02 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,517 times

Advertisements

I have been sick for a few days...I always get their colds. They seem to be feeling better, but not me!
Anyway, what do you do with them when you are sick? I feel bad b/c we are couped up in the house and all we are doing is just watching tv. The last 3 days has just been tv, tv, and more tv. I try and turn it off and go play with them, but they always want to be on me and want me to read andmy throat is killing me. (I go to the Dr tomorrow) So back to the tv we go.
Just curious what you all do. I have toddler twins (21 months)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 08:06 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,040 times
what we do is i take the kids to go do something when i get home that way my wife can get some sleep

Old 08-21-2008, 08:07 AM

589 posts, read 1,635,516 times
Ugh that is always hard when Mom is sick! I sure hope you feel better soon!

When my twins were that little, I'd pull out some toys from the bottom of the toy box or something. Put them in a safe area and just veg out. You could also make some home made play dough. It does take a little effort but it will pay off in the long run. AND it's safe for the little people too!

Here's the one I use:

Play Dough Recipe

4 cups flour
1 cup salt
4 cups water
4 tablespoons oil
1/8 - 1/2 cup cream of tartar (as much as you have on hand)

Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan. Cook and stir over low/medium heat until play dough is completely formed and no longer sticky. Allow to cool slightly then knead to make sure it is smooth before storing in an air tight container or zip lock bag.
Variations:

* Add one package of unsweetened powdered Kool-Aid to your playdough to give it a great smell.
* Color dough while cooking with gel food coloring. You can use the drops but they are just not as bright
* Add some flavored extract to the dough after it has cooled a bit and you are kneading it.

Last edited by Sum1Else; 08-21-2008 at 08:20 AM..

Old 08-21-2008, 08:15 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
I have been sick for a few days...I always get their colds. They seem to be feeling better, but not me!
Anyway, what do you do with them when you are sick? I feel bad b/c we are couped up in the house and all we are doing is just watching tv. The last 3 days has just been tv, tv, and more tv. I try and turn it off and go play with them, but they always want to be on me and want me to read andmy throat is killing me. (I go to the Dr tomorrow) So back to the tv we go.
Just curious what you all do. I have toddler twins (21 months)
I have a 2 1/2 yr old & 8 month old who just finished passing some sort of cold/virus thing to one another & of course my dh & I picked it up. From start to finish was about 2 weeks

Anyway, usually just lots of PBS & DVDs.

I can make it through the day ok with them when I am not feeling well, but naps & early bedtimes are a must b/c I start to get super edgy & take it out on them.

I think for most it's tv. Maybe try some coloring. Turn off the tv & build blocks, etc.

After awhile, I turn off the tv & tell my ds that we are going to play with his toys or something. It works for a bit.

Good luck & hope you are feeling better.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:49 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,517 times
thanks...we just got a big box of clothing my aunt sent, so I just gave them it and they are having some fun sorting through it. I can't wait until my husband gets home. (he is at his boss's home today for a meeting and they are going swimming. How nice, lol!)

Old 08-21-2008, 10:51 AM

589 posts, read 1,635,516 times
Feel better, hon! Been there, done that!

WTG ARGuy for being a stand-up dad & hubby! Reps to you!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:50 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
A couple of days of TV is fine! Don't beat yourself up about it. There is nothing worse than having to take care of the little ones when you are feeling poorly yourself.

If you are up for it, doing small activities with them, puzzles, play-doh, break and bake cookies, coloring. Keep it simple. And get better quickly!

Old 08-21-2008, 08:13 PM

396 posts, read 1,034,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum1Else View Post
Ugh that is always hard when Mom is sick! I sure hope you feel better soon!

When my twins were that little, I'd pull out some toys from the bottom of the toy box or something. Put them in a safe area and just veg out. You could also make some home made play dough. It does take a little effort but it will pay off in the long run. AND it's safe for the little people too!

Here's the one I use:

Play Dough Recipe

4 cups flour
1 cup salt
4 cups water
4 tablespoons oil
1/8 - 1/2 cup cream of tartar (as much as you have on hand)

Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan. Cook and stir over low/medium heat until play dough is completely formed and no longer sticky. Allow to cool slightly then knead to make sure it is smooth before storing in an air tight container or zip lock bag.
Variations:

* Add one package of unsweetened powdered Kool-Aid to your playdough to give it a great smell.
* Color dough while cooking with gel food coloring. You can use the drops but they are just not as bright
* Add some flavored extract to the dough after it has cooled a bit and you are kneading it.
great idea!!!
I've been in your shoes, and it is not fun. It's just god awful.
It's been a tv thing for me too, but next time i will try this...

Old 08-21-2008, 09:23 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,954 times
Ugh! Playdoh always made the biggest messes... not something I'd want to be cleaning up when I was sick. The summer before my dh's last 6 month cruise, everyone I knew transferred out of the area. Halfway through that cruise, my then 3 yo, 6 mo old and I all caught the flu. Not just any flu... the Norwalk virus. Then we caught a couple other doosies. We were sick for 9 weeks straight... no kidding. After that HELL, being sick for a few days alone with the kids was a veritable picnic. But I learned many lessons for being prepared.

My favorite (and the kids) when I was sick and they were little (and not sick) was to tape blank paper to the coffee table and give them 2 crayons each. I could lay on the couch and still "interact" without doing too much. I'd bring out Matchbox cars and those giant Legos too. The TV would be playing something in the background... usually something they hadn't seen before (I kept "new to them" DVDs handy for these times).

String cheese, Lunchables, Cheezits and pre-cut fruits are foods even 2 yos can feed themselves.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:44 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Ugh. Hope you're better soon. Can you go outside? Lie down in a lounge chair outside while they play. Make them read and color. Put on music. I hate the sound of a TV in the background!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting