U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 06:01 PM

15,422 posts, read 14,756,928 times

Advertisements

He/ she has a bad day at school?
My son is smart, but he likes to talk, therefore, he gets himself into trouble at school.
I have already talked with his teacher over the phone, about his behaviour. She said she thinks he has ADD....I already knew this.
I explained to her that I take things away that he enjoys like, video games, sports, etc..when he has a bad day at school.
Anyone else have any other suggestions as to how to do my part on my end, by getting him to pay more attention, and not talk so much in school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 09:31 PM

Hello? Come on.....somebody out there surely has a problem child similiar to mine.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:35 PM

702 posts, read 1,387,632 times
Have u ever thought maybe he is more advanced than what the school is giving him instead of ADD??? Alot of kids get bored in school and therefore act out because the material they are given is way below what they know. My son is in 1st grade and we relocated and he is relearning everything he was taught in kindegarten so therefore he is soooooo bored. Just a thought

Old 08-23-2008, 09:41 PM

Thank you for your response......
no. That could not be his excuse. I think its just because 4th grade is getting harder, therfore, he has to think more, concentrate more....he would rather visit, have fun time, than actually do the work.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:44 PM

702 posts, read 1,387,632 times
Oh ok, I was just saying because of what is going on with my son. I guess when I was in school there was no such thing as this ADD and ADHD. I guess besides what u are doing is take away all his priveledges until his behavior straightens up, not just material items but his friends as well. After his behavior improves than I would start slowly giving things back to him but I would make the friends be the last thing.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:55 PM

I know. This ADD crap is all new to me as well. I am very skeptical on this new method of disipline...such as ridlin, etc..(drugging your kid)
Guess I`ll have to remember the old fashioned remedies. lol....

Old 08-23-2008, 11:39 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,875,187 times
For the first offense (talking in class arena - I won't go further than that in this thread), I made my son had to write a letter of apology to his teacher, then write "I will not be disrespectful to my teacher" in his homework notebook 10x. Neatness counts. I told him the next time would be 100x.

We had a long talk about how misbehaving/talking in class was disrespectful to the teacher beforehand and on what exactly respect means to me and his father.

There hasn't been a next time. The note of apology, plus having to write it in his homework notebook embarassed him.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:47 PM

115 posts, read 211,252 times
Default ADD- Adult Deficiency Disorder

ADD is always the culprit when kids do not do the things they are told. I do believe that there a few kids with this, but not millions.
As a nurse and mom of four, I understand the difficulties in dealing with your son and his constant chatter.
I would suggest making special time with him each morning to talk with him. Do the same after school. Stress the importance of speaking and socializing at the appropriate times.
He is probably very bright and bored or over exuberant and can't hold in his thoughts. Unfortunately we live in world with lots of rules, just be patient and let him know that you are listening when he expresses himself.
I had the same problem with my 8 year old. I began spending special time with her to hear her thoughts. It has really improved.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:52 PM

Thats a good thought. Thanks. He has a full imagination.....just not on what he needs to have it on at times.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:12 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,705,049 times
Quote:
I made my son had to write a letter of apology to his teacher, then write "I will not be disrespectful to my teacher" in his homework notebook 10x. Neatness counts. I told him the next time would be 100x.
That is a great idea! Can I steal that? LOL

I don't have any suggestions to offer but kids today don't get much social time like we used to. I wonder if he needs that more when he's out of school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting