U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:15 PM

5,384 posts, read 6,707,538 times
Default Anyone else as frustrated with Girls Clothes?

Went back to school shopping this week. Fall in WNY is usually pretty chilly... cold enough to want my daughter wearing long sleeves in September... you would think I could find more items with sleeves for back to school. Very little seems to be available. What IS available for my five year old to wear to her first day of First Grade? Club Wear... stuff a 21 yo would get decked out in to go out to the bars on a Friday Night. It is either sparkling with bling, gold, or glitter... short enough that it would be in competition for street wear... covered in graffiti.... Why do stores buy these clothes to sell to little girls? My daughter has learned the term Hoochie... that is what I call those clothes... Hoochie Wear... she now can pick a Hoochie Outfit out without any assistance and knows there is no way in heck she will even be allowed to try it on... How do we get this to stop? What happend to the days when JUNIORS clothes were in the JUNIORS Department and CHILDRENS clothes with in the CHILDRENS Department? What has happend in our society to say it alright to dress a first grader in Tramp Wear? I don't get it.... I am frustrated and have no clue how to go about getting it to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 08:18 PM

589 posts, read 1,036,243 times
That'd be because there are some people that think it's cute to have "mini me's" walking around.

I buy at the end of the season and am fortunate that my girls don't grow very fast at all. (They are petite things.)

Old 08-26-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum1Else View Post
That'd be because there are some people that think it's cute to have "mini me's" walking around.

I buy at the end of the season and am fortunate that my girls don't grow very fast at all. (They are petite things.)
I buy at the end of season for the most part. But my daughter is very tall and thin. So I always have to have her try things on at the end of summer and make some adjustments for the Fall...She is the youngest in her class but the tallest girl It is always a hit or miss thing for her- they will fit at some point but skirts I hold out on because her legs are so long some skirts look too short on her...and sometimes the new size is just too big in the waste... makes it tricky...and I always like to get a couple of cute dresses...but forget about it... I went searching for a dress and it was either the frumpiest thing you could imagine or club hoochie wear. Oh, and the short sleeve issue is driving me nuts... I am not big on having seasonal clothes... not going to invest on a four season wardrobe... she can use her summer left overs if she is hot one morning... why bother buying a short sleaved shirt when in two months time it will be snowing here? Oh, frustration....

Old 08-26-2008, 09:30 PM

30 posts, read 110,311 times
I agree! Being from NY myself, I always had a hard time with long sleaves, especially trying to find stuff around the holidays, all the shirts and dresses are short sleaved! I rememeber complaining once to a friend that I was shopping with in a store and a salesclerk overheard and I got basically told that, that was the style, so she was told that maybe for Florida it could be, but this was NY and there was a foot of snow outside (just incase she hadn't noticed) and I did not relish the thought of my little one getting sick because she was not dressed correctly! Now here is the real kicker, I now live in Hotter than hell Houston and I am having a hard time trying to find short sleaves! Go figure....

Old 08-26-2008, 09:34 PM

30 posts, read 110,311 times
One more thing the Hoochie clothes definalty have got to go!!! I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old, not 25 and 22. Some people wonder why the little girls of today are growing up so fast, look at the clothes these so called designers are making for them.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:02 PM

745 posts, read 1,374,017 times
I've been complaining about this for a few years now. I like for my girls to have a few skirts to wear in their wardrobe. The problem is that most of what I can find in the stores are miniskirts.
This is for girls sizes 6x to 12.
My other huge pet peeve is the whole thing with tank tops that have spaghetti straps. Especially now that my eldest is to the age of wearing bras. All the girls seem to wear the tops with their bra straps showing. Call me old-fashioned but that just looks sleezy. I hate that and will not allow it. My daughter and I are always at odds as she is always trying to get away with it. Don't these clothing designers ever actually take age into consideration?

Old 08-26-2008, 10:04 PM

3,842 posts, read 6,623,416 times
I'm a grown adult woman & frustrated with the clothes I get to chose from so I can only imagine your pain!!!

I only have young boys, so I can't contrbute much. But, what I do see at some of the major stores for young girls is wrong. There needs to be a shift. Not sure what you can do other than not to buy the clothes & just to reinforce to your dd that there is a way she is expected to dress & present herself.

I'm all for school uniforms & then some. I taught 6th grade. I really didn't need to see beginner bra straps or boy's underpants but I did. They are being told younger & younger that their sexuality is numero uno.

Parents today have their work cut out for them. Good luck!

Old 08-26-2008, 10:26 PM

1,671 posts, read 4,018,878 times
Lands End and LL Bean have the best young people clothing. Kids will always look like children when buying from these companies. Yes, the stores are making adult clothes for children and many parents love their children to be a younger version of themselves.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:56 AM

20,802 posts, read 30,680,900 times
Around here most of the kids wear short sleeved shirts and a hooded sweatshirt. I haven't had any problems over the years finding these everywhere. I know that Kohl's has a large selection of light weight, long sleeved shirts that are designed to have a cami or t-shirt under it. I don't know if you have Kohl's there or not though. I am in MN so I understand cold too.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:30 AM

I would love to have uniforms for school... it would solve so many of the problems with dressing them apporpriately while they are at school. Play clothes are a lot easier to find than school clothes. I like for her to look more "colegiate"/"preppy" than the more popular **** wear they are sending out... or you have the other side of the spectrum... way too casual. I don't mind jeans, but I want it paired with a pretty blouse or sweater. I did buy up some cute long sleeved T's at Kohls last December on Clearance... but to find a long sleeved shirt right now is like finding a needle in a hay stack. I usually have her pair the long sleeved T with a skirt - she has some cute skorts that she pairs with thick leggings...as she just fights me on tights- she hates the way they feel on her skin and it is just easier to do the thick leggings (the cotton ones- not the sheer ones w/ sparkles or lace)... I also like the skorts because of the length of the skirts today. I feel if she has a skort on it is so much more appropriate- and warmer to have that little short underneath (still learning modesty at five). I did find some more appropriate items at H&M this year... but the dresses are lacking in flair- cute factor is quite low. Lands End is at Sears near us and they do have some cute things... I did a lot of clearance from there this past winter as well... but again, the dresses are just cotton plain Jane dresses... do you all remember the cute dresses there USED to be? I am 30, so, it has been SOME time... but there were amazing dresses when I was a kid... beautiful ones and VERY APPROPRIATE... now they are cocktail dresses or soemthing you might find on Camp Rock... sorry, but my kid isn't going to hang out with a martini or be in a band... they are going to school... I am just utterly annoyed by all of this... I want to know who to complain to in the Dept Stores and the like to get the ratio of club wear to prep wear to be either balanced or even more appropriate than that....I think the club wear should go entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting