Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2008, 12:01 PM

1,244 posts, read 3,220,614 times

Advertisements

For those of you who remember, back in Feb of '08 I was struggling with some issues with my son. For those of you who don't remember or know, what I'm about to share is such a blessing, this is the link to where we were 6 months ago and can explain why I feel the way I do...

19 yr. old son may want to return home. Rules ???

Well now, 6 months later, I went with my son yesterday to pick up his High School Diploma. Thanks to God, the staff at his school which is so incredibly amazing and never gave up on him, and my own son wising up a bit and working to get his act together, his graduating became a reality.

I am very proud of him and where he is right now in life, especially considering where he has been and not that long ago either.

On Monday of this week he started his first day of College. He, of his own choosing and for himself and noone else, enrolled in college and is going to be studying Nursing. He has a heart to help others, always has. He is so excited about this whole experience.

Not only that, he is very involved in Church once again, something he had pulled away from after his father and I divorced. He's reading his bible, attending Sunday morning services with us as a family, attending youth/young adult services Sunday nights and going to men's bible study with my husband on Monday nights and Young Adults bible study with his peers on Wednesday nights. He is also trying out for the Praise and Worship band at church, something he used to be involved with in our old church prior to the divorce. He has volunteered at the church with a reconstruction/restoration project they are undergoing and also has attended at least 1 outreach in the community with the church. Something he always used to be involved in.

I see him and I see my son back. My son prior to the divorce, prior to the downward spiral he headed on as a result of all the confusion and hurt that was in him. I see him back on the right path and I thank God for this. I thank God for His grace and mercy that he poured out upon my son during this time and how he protected him in the midst of it all. I thank God for the transformation that I have witnessed and for how he is restoring my son once again.

My son has also, at this time, given up smoking, drinking and is even being much more careful about the music he listens too and becoming more aware about what his shortcomings or weaknesses in terms of what could be a distraction for him that could deviate him from the course of life that he wants to take. Again, I thank God for all these things and fully believe and trust in Him to continue the work He is doing in Him, until completion.

We moved as a result of my getting married back in June, he has been having difficulty obtaining a job. The job market really stinks right now, but I am also trusting God in this situation. God knows the job he needs and what job would be best for my son's continued growth. I am okay with this at the moment because he is focusing on school and church and these are very positive things. He goes out and looks for a job, but each time he does I do pray that God will open the doors he wants opened and leave closed those he doesn't want open. I have to trust in Him in this area and I do.

Through the college he has signed up for the work study program which will grant him a part-time job at the college while he is studying there. Would mean about 15 hours of school and 20 hours of work. This may be the door, who knows.

I wanted to update you all and also give my sincere thanks to all of you who encouraged me while I went through the struggle, and stated that you would pray for him and for me. I wanted to let you all know how things were going, and where he is at now. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 07:15 PM

109 posts, read 230,620 times
Congratulations on an awesome son!

Old 08-28-2008, 01:22 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,817,509 times
Congratulations Mom!! Thank God, and give yourself a pat on the back.

*HUGS*

Old 08-28-2008, 05:51 PM

1,244 posts, read 3,220,614 times
Thank you both. Absolutely my highest thanks goes to God because I truly could not have made it through some of the stuff without Him and I know beyond any doubt that my son would not have been able to either.

He is fully deserving of all the glory in this. Thank you once again.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:01 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,622,012 times
Yeah!!! Great story.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:00 AM

20,263 posts, read 19,847,317 times
Congratulations! I'm happy for both you and your son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting