U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:40 AM

896 posts, read 3,928,834 times

Advertisements

Ugh

My DD (3 yrs. 2 mos.) is peeing all over the house!

I've been trying to potty train for awhile. When she turned 3, she asked for big girl panties and so we bought them (again). She didn't want diapers anymore. I thought this was great. Downside is that she pees everywhere in the house--but only has "accidents" outside the house occasionally.

Sometimes, she looks right at me and just stands there and pees (no remorse at all--matter of factly tells me, "I need new panties. I peed"). Other times, I'll walk on a wet spot and then find panties hidden somewhere in the room. We just don't know how to get through to her. (My husband is wondering if we should treat her like a dog and rub her nose in it) We constantly show her where the bathrooms are and every time she says she has to go, one of us will get excited and encourage her to go to the potty. 6 times out of 10, she will actually use the toilet. The other four times, I find a wet spot on the bathroom floor or on the way to the bathroom.

My other issue is that she is constantly adjusting her panties. We went out and bought her new ones this week because we thought maybe they were too small and she needed a larger size. It didn't help. She pulls her dress up and shows the world her body. She's getting to that age where it isn't appropriate and I can't seem to get her to understand.

We did just move so I want to cut her some slack for that but it was happening before we moved too. But now we have brand new wool carpet that she's peeing on.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 11:49 AM

2,868 posts, read 8,640,225 times
I would put her back in diapers and tell her when she wants to stop peeing all over and use the potty only,,,she can wear underware. Until then it is diapers.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:53 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,050,735 times
At over three years old, she's old enough to start wiping up her own puddles. :P

Old 08-27-2008, 11:56 AM

2,222 posts, read 9,486,297 times
I agree with both *Danielle* and SuSuSushi.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:11 PM

3,855 posts, read 11,778,978 times
Man my daughter was super hard to potty train. She would also rather squat in the floor and poop as opposed to going to the bathroom to do her business (She did this once when we left her with a babysitter...on a very very rare occasion). I've never been so thankful since she started using the potty consistently. She finally got it through her scull when she was about 3 1/2 yrs old.

My son is now 2. We were on a good track to have him potty trained a few months ago but we moved and he has now regressed back to diapers. When we get settled into our house we'll start working with him again but as long as he's not potty trained I don't feel like I should just let him run around peeing on everything.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:12 PM

2,868 posts, read 8,640,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
At over three years old, she's old enough to start wiping up her own puddles. :P
That is what I did with my first dd...After a point it was a power struggle...until I made her clean up her puddles...and suddenly no more puddles. Hmmmm... LOL

Old 08-27-2008, 12:14 PM

7,099 posts, read 24,516,164 times
Kids that age don't always understand what we think they do. Let me tell you a true story about that. My DIL had just died and we were doing the housework, minding kids etc. Cleaning up my granddaughter's room, she was about three, I noticed the odor and I found a huge wet spot in the corner. I called her in and asked about it. It was far too big a spot for just one time.

She told me that it was all right, because that's where she had her accidents. It seems that she was potty trained, but she had the usual occasional accident. She seemed to have been told not to worry about it, that accidents were OK...that everyone had accidents. So she was regurlarly having her "accidents" in the corner of her room instead of going to the bathroom. It was really a misunderstanding about what was the proper thing to do. She thought what she was doing was OK

Impress on her that grownups ALWAYS use the toilet. Grownups NEVER pee anywhere else. She's old enough to understand that she will have to wear diapers like a baby until she is big enough to always use the toilet.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Man my daughter was super hard to potty train. She would also rather squat in the floor and poop as opposed to going to the bathroom to do her business (She did this once when we left her with a babysitter...on a very very rare occasion). I've never been so thankful since she started using the potty consistently. She finally got it through her scull when she was about 3 1/2 yrs old.
OH YEAH....forgot. Just last weekend she came out of her room having just changed her clothes. We asked her why. She said they were wet. OK so we asked her if she peed her pants and she tried to shrug it off. Well finally she admitted that she peed her pants and stated why.
Wait for it.
"I was trying to pee like the boys do at pre-school."

I don't know if I've ever laughed so hard.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:52 PM

20 posts, read 69,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
"I was trying to pee like the boys do at pre-school."

I don't know if I've ever laughed so hard.

LOL

That is awesome. I think I probably would have fallen down, where I was, and started laughing.

My son is four and he still has rare accidents. The only ones he has are usually at a park, where the toilets are high. When I talked to him about it this last time (a couple days ago), he said the toilet was too high up and he couldn't even reach on his tippy toes. I told him "Honey, you can't pee your pants though. You just have to sit down if it's too high."

He stomped his foot and glared at me. I asked him why he was frustrated.
He says, "No! Only girls sit down to pee. I'm not a girl because I have a penis!"

-Palm of hand to forehead-

Thank God we were at home when he yelled that.

^^;

Old 08-27-2008, 03:11 PM

^That is hillarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting