Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:39 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
What do I touch a nerve when I bring up drinking??? I bring it up because the smoking issue bothers u as the drinking issue bothers me...
No nerve at all.... I am not bothered by your distaste for drinking at all... just supporting the facts you asked for about second hand smoke... the ones you asked for...
And I am backing off the alcohol topic due to the fact this thread is about smoking... you want to talk about beer and how much you hate it perhaps you should start a new thread...
Oh, by the way... I have nothing against perfume either

Quote:
Thats fine that u didn't smoke around your kids..but u know what..some people argue that the smoke that lingers on your clothing is considered second hand smoke as well
Thanks for adding that... another great reason not to smoke with kids...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 09:46 PM

702 posts, read 1,984,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
No nerve at all.... I am not bothered by your distaste for drinking at all... just supporting the facts you asked for about second hand smoke... the ones you asked for...
And I am backing off the alcohol topic due to the fact this thread is about smoking... you want to talk about beer and how much you hate it perhaps you should start a new thread...
Oh, by the way... I have nothing against perfume either

Thanks for adding that... another great reason not to smoke with kids...
Ok, that wasn't towards you..it was to the poster that stated they never smoked near their children..but SOME say second hand smoke lingers on clothing which is bs and again..same issue with perfume...some people shouldnt' wear it like its soap but they do and therefore I can't breath

Old 08-30-2008, 10:20 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
oh, well, hey, since it was against me, I'll respond in like.
Thank you for informing me of that. Even our pediatrician didn't mention that. he was just pleased that we wouldnt smoke around them and had a designated area more than 25ft away from our house when we did smoke. But hey, again, another great reason that my husband and I quit smoking.
As an adult, I too, find myself near another person who over does it on perfume or cologne. And Im thankful that again, as an adult, I can remove myself from the situation, or if not, to say something to the person who has over indulged in scent. I feel much worse for the kids/babies who are trapped in a vehicle/home w/parents who are choosing to blow smoke into the air their kids are breathing in. Even knowing they might be sending them down an ill fated road, possibly with grave illness or death.
not to mention, on a less serious note, the teasing the kids put up with when they got to school/wherever reeking of smoke. I work w/kids and can tell right away the ones that just stepped out of a car w/mom/dad smoking. So can the other kids. I hear their comments 'Ewwww!! You stink!!!" "you smell like smoke!! Gross!!" how sad is that....

Old 08-31-2008, 06:39 AM

Well neither one of my kids get teased of smelling.....and lets bring the perfume issue up again...what about a boy being in a car with his mother who dumps the perfume on and he smells like that all day???

Old 08-31-2008, 07:25 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Well, I am 30. Lived in a house w/ a chain smoker my whole life who drove in a car with a lit cig and us kids in the back seat. I swore I would never smoke as i would choke on the smoke with each drive. I didn't smoke...but I have the lungs of a smoker and have chronic bronchitis because of it... My mother has never smoked a cig she has lit in all her life, but had a father, and now a husband, who has filled her lungs with smoke... she too has lung problems. I do not think smoking around children should be legal. I remove my children ASAP from any area a person is smoking...

Once, My huband, kids and I were at a fenced in park with an amazing playground and benches... it wasnt' large... just big enough for the play yard... We were the only parents there with our children. A woman was on her cell phone conducting business... all by herself... pen in hand scribbling away in some notebook while she gabbed... then she lit a cig... IN A SMALL PLAYGROUND! I was so annoyed... why couldn't she go to another area of the park with benches to smoke that stick? So, after making my point loud and clear... literally LOUD...I ended up grabbing my kids and making them leave so they were not by the smoke... People are just ignorant idiots if they want to smoke in front of kids...it was different 20+ years ago... nobody realized the harm of it... but now they do and something SHOULD be done...
The reason it is banned about everywhere in CA is because there are enough humans walking around smoking that think it doesn't cause harm to other humans and isn't a form of litter when they toss the old butts on the ground.

If one keeps smoking it will eventually be the basis of what they write on their death cert. It shouldn't have to be on their Childrens or Spouse too.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:11 AM

I dont toss my butts on the ground..tyvm....and btw my spouse smokes as well

Old 08-31-2008, 09:54 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
I dont toss my butts on the ground..tyvm....and btw my spouse smokes as well
So you both think it is ok to smoke around innocent children? To fill their lungs with toxins and smoke even though they aren't the ones to CHOOSE to light up? They are getting a double dose of smoke when you both puff on your tar sticks... do you realize that? Especially since you smoke in the car... take a good look at all of the research...I beg of you on behalf of your children... and please, think twice before you do to your children what my father did to me (UNknowingly- because the research was not there 30 years ago)....he does not smoke anywhere near my kids now... BECAUSE HE KNOWS IT IS HARMFUL....I didn't even have to ask him not to... he just knows based on his own health and the studies done in the past 20 years to prove it...

Oh, and as a kid I was mortified to go to school smelling of smoke... but I never told my father because I knew it didn't matter... it wasn't going to change anything... and I didn't realize how badly it smelled until I was older and more aware... kids don't want to upset their parents... they probably won't say anything to you about it... might help to actually ask them how they feel about smelling like an ashtray... maybe then they will voice their actual opinion.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:05 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Cancer sticks are harmful as second hand smoke. So is leaving your garage door down with the engine running.

I feel extremely sorry for the kids of people who are so ignorant or addicted that they at least can't do it in the freaking car.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:25 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Smoking around kids is irresponsible, but so are a lot of things that parents or people do around kids. Do we make all that illegal? Who's gonna enforce this? Drugs are illegal, drunk driving is illegal, and yet more people die from those than second hand smoke, and the jails are so full of people cited for these. What does one do when a stranger smokes around your kids...sue them? Call the cops? Take a pic of them in action? At the very least, the campaign to stop smoking should be ramped up, and this be made part of that heavy campaign.
It's not fun having a nanny state. Here, it is illegal to smoke in a car when kids are in the car. Mmmm are there enough cops to enforce it? It is illegal also to talk on the cell phone in the car. People can talk hands-free on Bluetooth but I personally think it's WHAT they are hearing and thinking of may be the reason for not paying attention to the road. Again, how do you enforce it?

A whole town outlawed smoking here. Smokers drag on the bridge over a river in the center of the town, since bridges are under federal jurisdiction, not town's. Fun fun.

If smoking is concidered on the level of addiction, like drugs, I think they have to be outlawed totally, like drugs, not just around kids. Or the change have to come from within, just like with AA.

Last edited by nuala; 08-31-2008 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-31-2008, 12:30 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
My grandson was born with asthma. It improved considerably when he was no longer living in a house with smokers.

I don't think the government should inferefere with oersonal choices as long as that choice is not a criminally chargeable offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting