U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-31-2008, 01:14 PM

4,891 posts, read 12,107,337 times

Advertisements

what do you pay for child care? is it a nanny type situation or a center? i am trying to get some ideas, since i may be going back to work and have found a woman who has agreed to watch my 2 yo.
i was thinking $125/week...how does that sound?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 01:30 PM

2,588 posts, read 3,696,062 times
It really depends upon the area in which you live. When I was in Portland, I paid roughly $1100/month for daycare at the Jewish Community Center. It was in the middle cost-wise as far as all of the places I looked. Now, we didn't qualify for it, but I know they offered aid to those who couldn't afford the full tuition.

I hear nannies with credentials can cost even more than what we paid for daycare. I've looked into getting an au pair and they cost something like $300-350 per week. So, that's $1200-1400/month depending upon the agency. I'm not sure if they have programs to help lower income people, but it's still less expensive than most nannies.

There are options out there for those who can't afford the prices I paid, but I don't know them. Hopefully, someone else will chime in with that knowledge. I'm just giving you my experience. If the person who is watching your child is completely trustworthy, then what you are proposing sounds like a great deal to me.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:36 PM

2,746 posts, read 9,840,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
It really depends upon the area in which you live. When I was in Portland, I paid roughly $1100/month for daycare at the Jewish Community Center. It was in the middle cost-wise as far as all of the places I looked. Now, we didn't qualify for it, but I know they offered aid to those who couldn't afford the full tuition.
<snip>

Wow, that is a LOT OF MONEY.

I guess it does depend wildly on where you are, huh!?

I have only paid for child care once, for a brief period last year for the 5 year old who was not in kinder (late b-day)... but we paid the neighbor (older woman) $60 a week for about six hours a day!! I realize that was a very unusual situation. She just did it to help us out and it kept her busy, she said.

When we were trying to find care for her (again, she was 5) it was averaging about $100 a week.

I had both of my older kids in private school before, and the youngest started when he was 4, and I found, to my great surprise, that I was able to find an EXCELLENT, high quality private school (pre-k through 3rd grade) that was the same, and in some cases less, than the cost of full time day care at a "center". So you might want to consider that option. That school allowed kids to start as young as 2 if potty trained.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:26 PM

4,666 posts, read 8,741,272 times
Average in the suburbs of Houston is $180 per week per child for full time. Part time is usually not much less because preschools and quality day cares charge more per hour for part time.

I'm not sure about nannies in Houston but when I researched them in Seattle, the going rate was around $36K per year.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:28 PM

702 posts, read 1,384,097 times
I paid 100 a week back in MD...here in Utah Im not sure but I called one center and it was 167 for a 6 yr old

Old 08-31-2008, 07:18 PM

4,891 posts, read 12,107,337 times
thanks everyone. he is not yet potty trained and there are few centers here where i would be comfortabel leaving him. there is only 1 good one that has not had violations in the last 3 years--and she is of course booked solid.
that is why i opted to ask this older neighbor. i figure she can help with potty training and give him the attention he needs. i would love for him to be around other kids, but...

Old 08-31-2008, 07:42 PM

2,746 posts, read 9,840,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
thanks everyone. he is not yet potty trained and there are few centers here where i would be comfortabel leaving him. there is only 1 good one that has not had violations in the last 3 years--and she is of course booked solid.
that is why i opted to ask this older neighbor. i figure she can help with potty training and give him the attention he needs. i would love for him to be around other kids, but...
We were happy when we used the older neighbor option as well. She had 4 kids herself and was a grandma of 7. She had our DD help her in the garden, help make tortillas, care for the cats... fun for her regardless of the lack of other children around.

Being around other kids is not the be-all-end-all either.... DD started kinder last week, and so far we've heard she's been teased for having a potty accident (she made it all the way to the bathroom but not quite into the stall before she peed), she had to call the teacher when another kid (girl) was lying on top of her and wouldn't get up, she has a skinned knee from being pushed down outside, and she already thinks she wants Hanna Montana crap (she's never even seen any of that)....

So while we're glad she's making friends too, and she does love school... there are the negatives you'll be avoiding for a while longer!

Old 08-31-2008, 07:45 PM

2,104 posts, read 2,157,277 times
$150/week for the almost two year old who is cared for by a private lady in her home.

$110/week for my other daughter when she was in private kindergarten. She just started 1st grade in public school, so now we pay $75/week for her after school care. Her summer camp will be $110/week.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:03 PM

1,013 posts, read 3,159,549 times
Yikes, apparently daycare is really expensive in my area! (Chicago suburbs.) I just accepted a part time job, 2 full days a week. I've been looking at daycares for my 2-year-old, and every place I've looked at has been between $100 and $150 a week for 2 days of care!

Old 08-31-2008, 09:16 PM

4,666 posts, read 8,741,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
Yikes, apparently daycare is really expensive in my area! (Chicago suburbs.) I just accepted a part time job, 2 full days a week. I've been looking at daycares for my 2-year-old, and every place I've looked at has been between $100 and $150 a week for 2 days of care!
That's what I meant about part time care not really being that much less expensive than full time care. That's why it is so hard to come out with a profit if you are a mom who works part time...the day care eats up all the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting