U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-02-2008, 04:37 PM
 
16 posts, read 45,198 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

Anyone..here I need some help, some experience to share. My son is 4 years old, he値l only eat by himself if the food is extreme sweet or salty. I need to feed him spoon by spoon, so I can put the nutritious fish, broccoli and brown rice on the spoon to feed him. Or else, there痴 no way he値l eat these food items by himself. At times, I even need to add a piece of salty hot dog on these healthy spoonful of food. Sometimes, some chocolate on the top. Or else, he値l just spit out everything. I知 getting stressed and this is not normal for what I see. Does anyone else痴 4 year old acts this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-02-2008, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Maine
650 posts, read 1,911,037 times
Reputation: 553
My son is also 4 and eats very little. I can't, however, imagine spoon feeding him or adding chocolate (I do allow ketchup) to his spoonfuls in order to force him to eat. A child is not going to starve himself, if he is hungry, he will eat. If you only provide HEALTHY foods, that is what he will eat. If you don't spoon feed him, he will choose to eat or go hungry. I don't see the problem. My son is a healthy, active boy, who chooses to forego dinner at least 5 nights a week. He went for his 4 year well visit today and he is a healthy 35 lbs. and 40 inches. Obviously choosing not to eat is not preventing him from growing.

If you make meal times a battle or a power struggle you are just encouraging the behavior. Ignore the problem and he will eat (what you provide) when he is good and hungry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2008, 04:52 PM
 
4,899 posts, read 16,113,995 times
Reputation: 3783
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingmomwang View Post
Anyone..here I need some help, some experience to share. My son is 4 years old, he値l only eat by himself if the food is extreme sweet or salty. I need to feed him spoon by spoon, so I can put the nutritious fish, broccoli and brown rice on the spoon to feed him. Or else, there痴 no way he値l eat these food items by himself. At times, I even need to add a piece of salty hot dog on these healthy spoonful of food. Sometimes, some chocolate on the top. Or else, he値l just spit out everything. I知 getting stressed and this is not normal for what I see. Does anyone else痴 4 year old acts this way?
i would not put sweets or salty food on his spoon just to make him eat. i would let the doctor know about this problem and also make sure he is taking some vitamins...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2008, 04:54 PM
 
4,899 posts, read 16,113,995 times
Reputation: 3783
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
My son is also 4 and eats very little. I can't, however, imagine spoon feeding him or adding chocolate (I do allow ketchup) to his spoonfuls in order to force him to eat. A child is not going to starve himself, if he is hungry, he will eat. If you only provide HEALTHY foods, that is what he will eat. If you don't spoon feed him, he will choose to eat or go hungry. I don't see the problem. My son is a healthy, active boy, who chooses to forego dinner at least 5 nights a week. He went for his 4 year well visit today and he is a healthy 35 lbs. and 40 inches. Obviously choosing not to eat is not preventing him from growing.

If you make meal times a battle or a power struggle you are just encouraging the behavior. Ignore the problem and he will eat (what you provide) when he is good and hungry.
your son forgoes dinner 5 days a week? his height and weight seem a bit low for his age. my son is 2, weighs 30 lbs and is almost 40 inches tall. he is not fat by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2008, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Right where I want to be.
4,507 posts, read 7,751,082 times
Reputation: 3304
Get a check from your doc that he is really ok, and then stop spoon feeding him. Give him breakfast, lunch, dinner, no snack foods in between. No special foods or special treatment. Any food he spits out he can clean up.
He will eat when he is hungry and he might be more inclined to try some new things, develop a taste for things he has previously disliked. Again, check with your doc first, get ready for lots of whining and fussing. Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2008, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Right where I want to be.
4,507 posts, read 7,751,082 times
Reputation: 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
my son is 2, weighs 30 lbs and is almost 40 inches tall. he is not fat by any means.
Are you sure? 40 inches at 2 years is 6 inches taller than the median height, certainly something your pediatrician would have mentioned to you as unusual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2008, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Sunny Florida
7,136 posts, read 10,541,269 times
Reputation: 9437
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Get a check from your doc that he is really ok, and then stop spoon feeding him. Give him breakfast, lunch, dinner, no snack foods in between. No special foods or special treatment. Any food he spits out he can clean up.
He will eat when he is hungry and he might be more inclined to try some new things, develop a taste for things he has previously disliked. Again, check with your doc first, get ready for lots of whining and fussing. Good luck!!
I agree with the above advice. You've been very nice and very tolerant, but this is ridiculous. Once he knows that healthy food is all that will be offered he'll eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2008, 06:14 PM
 
13,779 posts, read 23,005,636 times
Reputation: 7376
Sometimes intense cravings for salty and sweet foods are signs of diabetes. I would take your little guy to the pediatrician and get a full work up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2008, 06:18 PM
 
4,899 posts, read 16,113,995 times
Reputation: 3783
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Are you sure? 40 inches at 2 years is 6 inches taller than the median height, certainly something your pediatrician would have mentioned to you as unusual.
he is 3 feet actually and they tell me his is top 50th percential and perfectly healthy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2008, 06:41 PM
 
149 posts, read 639,567 times
Reputation: 138
If all he will eat is sweet and salty foods, he is heading towards becoming a junk- foodie. You should stop spoon feeding him right away! The decision to eat healthy foods has to be his and not yours, otherwise it will be viewed as a negative experience when he is older and has to make meal choices without an adult present.

If you do not allow any sweets or snacks into the house and only give him well balanced meals he will begin to feed himself when he is hungry. Children will not starve themselves in protest (at least not that young), plus when the body is really hungry it makes bland foods taste pretty darn good. Also remember that taste preferences are aquired, so the less sweets and salty foods he eats the less he will crave them, and the more healthy food he eats the more he will like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

ゥ 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top