U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:10 PM

5,384 posts, read 6,948,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Yep, but his DAD is long dead.
Both McCain and Obama's fathers are dead...and I belive they are both "long dead"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 09:12 PM

5,343 posts, read 9,254,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
Wow, there's a lot of bitterness here. I don't think she set out to become VP. And I don't think she is trying to be anything more than she is.

Why are you so hateful? Her daughter, and her daughter's boyfriend are not running for anything. They should be left out of things.

And women over 40 shouldn't have babies because there is risk??? There are thousands of women every year giving birth over the age of 40. Why pick on her???

I don't understand why you are so hateful of a woman who is a mother and happens to be VP pick. If she was a man, would you be so negative and hateful?? Men father babies all the time over the age of 40. Men have daughters who get pregnant at 17 as well.

Just what exactly is your problem?
My problem is the hypocracy of the right and the inexperience of Sarah Palin and the obvious political selection of a candidate when better choices were available.

I've said before, and I'll say again, I WOULD have the same problem with a man. Five children includig a special needs baby and a pregnant child - your priorities should be with your family. When Edwards announced his wife's incurable cancer I also thought it was wrong of him to continue because he attention shoulc have been on his family (clearly, that is not where his intentions were either....)

Old 09-07-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
Funny. John McCain is still a child to his mother. Doesn't stop him from running for president. Obama is still a child to HIS parent, doesn't stop HIM from running for president.

Just because we are all still children of our parents, doesn't stop us from being responsible adults and taking care of business.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????

Old 09-07-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
On the political forum, there is a link to part of the Daily Show in which he shows clips of republican pundits before Palin in regards to Clinton, and then afterward in regards to Palin. It's hillarious! It is a total flip-flop of opinion.
Again...the hypocracy is what gets me.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Definition of PUBLIC office:
"a facility under the direction and control of a governmental entity which is open to public access on a regular basis "

And please stop playing nasty to posters. Everyone else has been polite. You are trying to pick fights. You keep taking away from the original intent of the post which has had some great responses on both sides.

Sorry, public office is open to everything. Don't like it, then don't be in it.

Again, back to the OP's question..is Palin a supermom?
I completely agree... everyone has been polite so far.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Both McCain and Obama's fathers are dead...and I belive they are both "long dead"
Yes, but we have to be honnest. MOST people die when they are older....no one knows WHEN they will die, but come on... 72 is OLD to be elected president. So personally I (and many like me) think that you should pay a little more attention to the VP nod.

What I mean by the age of his fathers death is this: everyone keeps showing the 96 yr old mom. Nice. But his father never even made it to 72. So there is no way of saying if McCain will make it to 96. And again, 72 is OLD to be elected president. Sorry if that fact is lost on some people.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:04 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,920,072 times
Yes, I keep thinking about the life span of either candidate if he makes office. I feel a bit bad doing so, but it feels like I should take more notice of the VPs because of it. I wonder how it feels to be McCain and have everyone publicly debating how long you will live?! And every president is subject to the threats of wackos, but I can't stop thinking that because of his race (unfortunately it still applies today), as well as all the nutjobs trying to say he is a Muslim extremist (unfortunately my FIL is one, I don't get it...), that there is a higher chance of Obama having assinnation attempts/plots. Man, I feel bad just putting that into print...

As for the children aspect--I imagine both spouses have plans to quit their jobs permenantly if their spouse makes office. Isn't that traditional? Could you imagine a president's or VP's spouse going to work every day? I'm sure a nanny will be involved, too. I don't like the idea of trying to exalt Palin to a status of super-mommy. Maybe a super-woman, but making it to the top as a woman is different than being a super-mommy. They are two different beings, yet still the same woman; can be one or the other or both. But I'm guessing at some point, even if you were a "super mommy," it gives way if you are going to be a super woman. I think this is the same for fathers, as well. Regular American jobs can be demanding; to get to the top, you have to devote everything you have to get there--something has to give.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:10 PM

3,842 posts, read 6,861,161 times
Quote:
My problem is the hypocracy of the right and the inexperience of Sarah Palin and the obvious political selection of a candidate when better choices were available.

I've said before, and I'll say again, I WOULD have the same problem with a man. Five children includig a special needs baby and a pregnant child - your priorities should be with your family. When Edwards announced his wife's incurable cancer I also thought it was wrong of him to continue because he attention shoulc have been on his family (clearly, that is not where his intentions were either....)
McCain met Palin for the FIRST time in Feb. 08. That's 7 months ago.

He's been an integral part of public office for how long & he picks someone he met a few months ago?

Sorry, I so know this has nothing to do with the question

I will say Palin can juggle quite a lot as a working mom.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:50 AM

698 posts, read 1,319,003 times
Quote:
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????

Oh, my.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Yes, I keep thinking about the life span of either candidate if he makes office. I feel a bit bad doing so, but it feels like I should take more notice of the VPs because of it. I wonder how it feels to be McCain and have everyone publicly debating how long you will live?! And every president is subject to the threats of wackos, but I can't stop thinking that because of his race (unfortunately it still applies today), as well as all the nutjobs trying to say he is a Muslim extremist (unfortunately my FIL is one, I don't get it...), that there is a higher chance of Obama having assinnation attempts/plots. Man, I feel bad just putting that into print...

As for the children aspect--I imagine both spouses have plans to quit their jobs permenantly if their spouse makes office. Isn't that traditional? Could you imagine a president's or VP's spouse going to work every day? I'm sure a nanny will be involved, too. I don't like the idea of trying to exalt Palin to a status of super-mommy. Maybe a super-woman, but making it to the top as a woman is different than being a super-mommy. They are two different beings, yet still the same woman; can be one or the other or both. But I'm guessing at some point, even if you were a "super mommy," it gives way if you are going to be a super woman. I think this is the same for fathers, as well. Regular American jobs can be demanding; to get to the top, you have to devote everything you have to get there--something has to give.
Great post!!!

I agree with you on both counts. Look, McCain is 72. And yeah, I don't like it, but America is still racist to the core. I've said the Secret Service best do a good job if he wins. (Of course if no one took out BUSH in these 8 yrs...but I digres....) In either case, I too think more of the VP pick this time than I normally would.

I also agree w/ you with your assesment of "Super Woman" vs. "Super Mom." You know, it goes either way. I remember seeing interviews with children of famous people (MLK, Reagan, were amongst them) and they said they were good fathers, parents in fact, but not the traditional image of the "American" parent. Most of the children said that they understand that their parents were making history and they have had to accept that they had to share them. (You often hear similar sentiments from spouses of such people.) BUT that said, you are right, no one gets to that level unless they are giving 150% so let's not sell the "Hockey Mom" thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting